Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 05:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ecoboost thread  (Read 41966 times)
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »

I'm using a '98 2500 now, and it's 5.7 is barely adequate for the terrain that NH consists of when hauling the camper.The trans shifting to second gear is not uncommon. It has had many of the 'problems' listed in the article you linked to, but peeling paint, rusty lines, or anything rusty, or using some oil after almost 20 years and 164K aren't a 'problem' in my mind. It's a fact of life here.

Both vehicles have the tow package. It's just time to update and I don't think I'll be able to match the price on this truck.

It isn't going to happen overnight anyway. Thanks for your input.

I run my trucks 10 years... my previous truck was a '99 F250 SuperDuty, V-10 (2-valve) with a 5-speed... I traded it with 186K on it and the only thing it ever got was a battery, an AC compressor and 10 new plugs.  My '09 V-10 (3-valve) has 167K on it now... still on the original plugs mind you... but the automatic needs a rebuild.  How I miss my 5-speed...

I agree... I had a '97 2500 with the 5.7/5-speed... it was a great around town truck but the ole' 350 was not up to towing.  It lost the contest with the dump truck that ran the stop sign... hence the '99 SuperDuty.

I also agree... if you are going to be pulling/hauling anything on a regular basis, a diesel is in order.

This may be my old fuddy-duddy-ness, but I'd rather have a naturally-aspirated, large displacement gas motor vs a tiny turbo-charged one.  I don't really care about gas mileage, it's a non-issue with me, I'm more concerned about reliability and drive-ability.  Big V-8 and V-10s have always sung the siren song to me...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »

I run my trucks 10 years... my previous truck was a '99 F250 SuperDuty, V-10 (2-valve) with a 5-speed... I traded it with 186K on it and the only thing it ever got was a battery, an AC compressor and 10 new plugs.  My '09 V-10 (3-valve) has 167K on it now... still on the original plugs mind you... but the automatic needs a rebuild.  How I miss my 5-speed...

I agree... I had a '97 2500 with the 5.7/5-speed... it was a great around town truck but the ole' 350 was not up to towing.  It lost the contest with the dump truck that ran the stop sign... hence the '99 SuperDuty.

I also agree... if you are going to be pulling/hauling anything on a regular basis, a diesel is in order.

This may be my old fuddy-duddy-ness, but I'd rather have a naturally-aspirated, large displacement gas motor vs a tiny turbo-charged one.  I don't really care about gas mileage, it's a non-issue with me, I'm more concerned about reliability and drive-ability.  Big V-8 and V-10s have always sung the siren song to me...

I feel like the 3.5 eb should be more drivable because it makes huge torque now vs the v8 which makes less torque later (much higher in the Rev range)

I definitely care about mileage. I'll take all I can get!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 03:35:24 AM »

I know two guys with the 3.5 EB, and both love it. One of them is getting up there in miles too, with no issues. Both pull large enclosed trailers occasionally and claim the EB pulls like a diesel.

I drove a Tremor once, which was a limited production regular cab shortbox sport-type variant with the 3.5 and 4.10s in the axle, that thing pulled like a train. Almost traded my Jeep for it on the spot, luckily I have an aversion to black vehicles or I'd own it.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 05:20:06 AM »

I used to option the trucks that my technicians drive.  I've constantly opted for the 5.0 V8 b/c our technicians drive almost always with a fully loaded truck (very close to GVWR) and my thinking (which is based on my experiences w/cars of the past) was that the nearly constant turbo boost would be too hard on the engine over time (200K miles).  I could be wrong, but the 5.0's have been fantastic engines.

Just don't drive around ignoring the check engine lamp.  I had to replace an engine once due to a fouled cylinder due to an ignition coil that went bad.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »

I like boost...otherwise I add nothing to this  laughingdp

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »

I'm just sayin....towed the friggin SPACE SHUTTLE

Pretty comfy ride too!

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »

laughingdp

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
The Architect

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:54 AM »

Any news on the new truck front? 

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 04:29:51 AM »

Any news on the new truck front? 

I bought it Cool

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 05:51:37 AM »

Nice!

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

The Architect

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »

I bought it Cool

Pictures!!!!!!   Grin

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »

Holy Mother of God.

I have discovered Sport mode.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 02:58:42 PM »

What could go wrong? Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »

Not a thing Cool

lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »

Holy Mother of God.

I have discovered Sport mode.
You should use new vehicle as an excuse for a road trip, I'll show you a mode you don't have...track!  Evil

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: