Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 11:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To wheelie or not to wheelie...that is the question - Monster 1200S  (Read 8731 times)
matt

« on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »

So, a little bit of history.  2012 got my first bike, a 2001 Yamaha SV650.  Great bike.  Sold 2 years later.  In 2016 I decided I needed a way to relax, and bought a Yamaha FZ-09.  My accountant (who either loves me as a client or hates me) told me to get a Kawasaki ZXR-14 because it has electronics and you won't end up doing a wheelie on it.  I'm thinking...a 200hp bike is nuts.  I'll never get much out of it (granted, it is kind of a touring bike).  So, one day when leaving the neighborhood I open the throttle a bit on the FZ-09, lean back, and well...as it is called I pulled a loop.  Weight transfer happened unexpectedly, which lead to me pulling on the throttle, and then a broken tailbone.  At 38 years old, this is a bit painful.

I swear I'm done with motorcycles, but you know how that goes.  I actually make money on the bike insurance (the hospital bill is another story, and yeah, the drugs were good) and I go "just to look" at a motorcycle store with my toddler.  I see a Ducati Monster and I start thinking.  I talk to some people about the Ducati Monster 821 and they say it's REALLY hard to wheelie.  I see videos of guys trying to do it with no luck.  I am under the assumption that with traction control/stability control the Monster has anti-lift.

I find a 1200S in Kentucky that has just over 1,000 miles on it, and knowing it's winter, I lowball the dealer.  I get it for 4k under bluebook and it's in mint condition.  I now realize that DWC (Ducati Wheelie Control) is NOT the same as traction control--and that only the 2017 Monster 1200S have it.

So far I've only ridden in Urban mode because I'm getting my confidence back.  But, let's face it.  Sometime I'm going to up it to Touring, and then sometime I'll be in sport in the country.  Now, of course I know to lean forward, and not just jam on the throttle, but a few questions.

a) I can take some advanced motorcycle courses, of course
b) I don't plan on going WOT randomly at 140ishHP

But, what else should I do here.  Is it possible to flash the ECU or ($$$) swap out the ECU and add the sensor that the 2017 has?  I LOVE the bike so far, but, I don't want another broken tailbone (or worse).  I read some people said they would start with the 1200S vs. the 821.  Am I being paranoid?  I KNOW (as of right now and being 38) I probably won't ever get the full usage of 140ish hp.  

Thoughts?  I could probably sell it in the spring and make money on it, but...I'm not going to spend money on a 2017.

Let the shaming begin  Evil Cool Tongue bang head

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:45:18 PM by matt » Logged
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:02:57 AM »

Is it possible to flash the ECU or ($$$) swap out the ECU and add the sensor that the 2017 has?

While it's likely possible, it *probably* not cost effective. Often these sorts of projects are Hydras. Off the cuff I'd figure you'd also need a wiring harness as well to support the connection(s) for the new sensor(s).

Some times different wear like this also has different stuff like fuel tanks. Yep... fuel tanks. For example the Ninja 300 has two different tank forms. One for the ABS models and one without. The ABS model has the same appearance when mounted, but smaller volume as there's an indention on the underside for the ABS pump unit.

So, I'd look long and hard at what's really needed.

Now I've not ridden a 1200, but have the Diavel. The damped down urban mode made the output feel a lot like my old 900. Good snort, but not overwhelming.

Really with the mapping options you have, just use them and get used to the performance of the bike.

And instead of spending what'd likely be a heap of cash on retrofitting the wheelie control (if even really possible) - get thee to school(s) and get your suspension tuned for you as well.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Blackout

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:18:22 AM »

Yes to wheelies!  How about just learning some technique instead of all the mods? I’m kind of surprised you looped it. Most people subconsciously lean forward when trying to wheelie and then wonder why they fail. You apparently have the opposite problem.  waytogo

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »

I've only done a few miles on an R and even in second gear, full throttle was not dramatic. Fast, yes, but no wheelies. The full power comes quite late, compared to 2 valve bikes, and is IMO not surprising at all. For dangerous surprises you would have to be VERY careless with the throttle at CLEARLY high revs ( ~9-10,000 revs?)

It's natural to be nervous after what you've experienced, but this is going to work itself out. Take the time you need, a month, a year, two years....

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
matt

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »

I've only done a few miles on an R and even in second gear, full throttle was not dramatic. Fast, yes, but no wheelies. The full power comes quite late, compared to 2 valve bikes, and is IMO not surprising at all. For dangerous surprises you would have to be VERY careless with the throttle at CLEARLY high revs ( ~9-10,000 revs?)

It's natural to be nervous after what you've experienced, but this is going to work itself out. Take the time you need, a month, a year, two years....
Thanks for the good response.  The fz09 can wheelie like crazy.   I am more aware of what's needed now.  Good lesson to learn.

I'll read up on suspension settings.  Weight transfer is important!

Thanks again.

Matt
NAKID

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:01 PM »

Whoever said it is hard to wheelie an 821 was either lying or has no idea what they are doing. The 821 will power wheelie with full throttle application in touring mode. I've clutched it up with little effort as well. If the power on the 1200 comes on anything like the 821, there will be a surge around 7700rpm.

That being said, it's quite easy to keep the front planted on the 821  you really have to be completely oblivious or actively try ti wheelie...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
jasonub

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

Whoever said it is hard to wheelie an 821 was either lying or has no idea what they are doing. The 821 will power wheelie with full throttle application in touring mode. I've clutched it up with little effort as well. If the power on the 1200 comes on anything like the 821, there will be a surge around 7700rpm.

That being said, it's quite easy to keep the front planted on the 821  you really have to be completely oblivious or actively try ti wheelie...
Im curious what if its in sport mode. Will it power wheelie too? I dont have an 821 thus the question
NAKID

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »

There are many different setting options. I have mine in Touring mode, but with a "sport" throttle response. This keeps my ABS and TC in the setting I want but changes the throttle response so it comes on quicker.

In full sport mode I "think" the only differences will be the ABS and TC settings.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pazzo

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »

My 2 cents...

I have ridden the ‘14 1200s model a lot when I was working for a Ducati dealership. They are fast, fun, and easily switched into a safer riding mode.  That being said, I own an Monster 821, (which is also a ton of fun) simply because the 1200S was out of my budget.

That bike will do anything and more than you ask it. If you are concerned with wheelies keep it in Urban. It is near impossible to power wheelie at speed with a 1200S in Urban. I have however experienced a 65 mph power wheelie when in Sport on the freeway on a 1200S. They are powerful but able to be tamed.

If you are concerned about accidental switching into Sport mode, just go to any dealership and ask them to set the engine modes to urban (1/2) power ish across all three riding modes. Or you could do it yourself with the manual. It is not very complicated and you can customize all you riding settings.
Nibor

insanity far outweighs horsepower

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:53:34 AM »

Just take your time and learn to ride the bike you have. Exercise control of your right wrist. If you can’t stop yourself from wheelies, and this is not because you love wheelies, I think you need a car not a ducati.

I completely understand your concern after looping it previously, but just get more practice in. More miles, bum on seat. Learn your bike inside out  waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: