Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 07:20:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Monday Morning  (Read 1575 times)
bdfinally

« on: May 21, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »

Had to push it the last 4 blocks to work. My commute is just less than 2 miles. Ran fine when I cranked it at house and actually sat idling at a store on the way for a few with no problems. At mile 1.5 it started sputtering, coaxed thru a busy intersection pulled up on sidewalk and changed plugs. Cranked fine and idled well. Took off and as soon as got into 2nd sputtering started again. Slowed and eased it another 3 blocks to my turn and then she died. Anyway we've had about 8 inches of rain from the middle of the week thru saturday afternoon. It sat outside, uncovered. I'm thinking (hoping) my drain line in the tank is blocked again and got water in the tank. Thoughts?

Edit to add '00 carbed M750.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:25:51 AM by bdfinally » Logged

The tyranny of the rat race is not yet final...HST
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »

A reasonable supposition.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

bdfinally

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »

Thanks Nate.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »

Thanks Nate.

Use the float bowl drains to check and see if there's water in the bowls. If there is I'd drain the tank. Dry gas doesn't do much anymore because there's already ethanol in the fuel. I'd still use a small amount as it's a different alcohol.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

bdfinally

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »

Reviving this thread because I never resolved the issue (life got in the way bang head) Drained the tank & bowls no water in either, but put fresh gas in regardless. It cranked but after a few minutes of normal idle when I tried to ride it it would again spit & sputter. This weekend the monsoon has given us a break and I've torn it down to the carbs. When I removed the pods and bottle years ago I routed 2 lines back behind the battery box to find quiet air. The two red lines off the carbs I put together with a T-fitting and those are still snug and in place. The yellow line was completely loose, but damn if I remember where it fits into the system. The parts manual as you can see isn't a lot of help. Anyone have an idea where and if this would lead to it's behavior? Thanks in advance.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »

The yellow line can hang out with the red lines any way you like.  It is also a vent line.
bdfinally

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »

Thanks Howie. Yep, it was routed with the other one back behind the battery box. I was wonder where the vent was and think I found it between the linked carbs. Correct? The hose was totally loose when when I started looking at it the other day. Would that have caused my initial problem?

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »

If it starts on choke then dies down the road issues like a faulty vacuum fuel tap and kinked tank breather lines come to mind. If it has a vacuum tap the done thing around here is replace it with a manual tap. Be interesting to see how much fuel actually gets to the carbs. The stock carbs drain screws are useful there. How well does the filter flow? I had a filter that looked clean but only let a drop through at a time.

A suspected fuel pump failure can be bypassed and the tank filled past half to test via gravity feed. You would be pretty unlucky as the pumps are quite robust.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:01:32 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
bdfinally

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »

That morning it started, warmed up & was ridden about 1.7 miles without a hitch, then it suddenly started to act up. I think it's the vent line off the carbs stuck in the middle of the bank, under the fuel inlet. I just pulled the carbs off the manifolds & struggle for 1/2 hour to get the line back on with a hose clamp this time. That sucka gets a new colorful name every time I fool with it. 

greenmonster

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 03:37:36 AM »

Kinked short fuel line under tank?
Tank vent ok?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: