Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 28, 2024, 03:16:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 696 Battery, need suggestions.  (Read 944 times)
pesto

« on: July 13, 2018, 05:27:12 AM »

I have a '14 696 with 20k or so miles. It had the original battery. This morning it wouldn't start. Knocked really lucky but no ignition. Lights and console were on. I put it on a trickle charger for a few minutes and it kicked over and started right up. Could the battery be dying? Should I ride it up to the dealer so I don't get stranded? Cheesy Maybe just keep a spare in the garage? Thanks!

2013 White M696
greenohawk69

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:44:09 AM »

Load test the battery. Take it to Autozone and have them check it. Battery could be bad - had 2 that died after 6 and 12 months.

Take a multimeter and test the battery and see what the voltage is. I'd at least charge it overnight and check it in the AM.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:57:05 AM »

if voltage, when doing the voltage drop test, drops, under 12V, you are not looking good . . . if you want to do a fast charging test, start bike and measure voltage at battery terminals, idling should be around 12.5~13 and at about 3500rpm, should be around 14.5V . . . if at idle voltage is higher, usually, please read, USUALLY, battery might have a cell not working properly and needs to be tested at a place where they have the correct equipment

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »

As stated, fully charge, and have it load tested.  Fully charged open cell voltage on your AGM battery should be over 12.8 volts.  If less, just replace. 
pesto

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »

Thank you! I will test it.

2013 White M696
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: