Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 09:16:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spongy front brake on 1100 S  (Read 1026 times)
ffemt

« on: July 17, 2018, 02:29:14 AM »

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Monster 1100 S and my front brake is pretty spongy. After bleeding from all 3 nipples starting from the furthest, I tightened all the banjos and bled again with the same results. When I bleed the brakes, I top off the reservoir and then begin the squeeze, loosen, depress lever, tighten, repeat. The first 10 squeezes is straight fluid going through but after that I see bubbles every pump. At this point the reservoir is a little over halfway. I top it off, and the bubbles stop until I get to the 10th or so squeeze and its the same situation for all 3 nipples. Any ideas on how to find that leak or suggestions on what to replace first (lines or MC or new washers for banjo)?

The front brake doesn't get better or worse when riding but it doesn't inspire confidence just yet.

Thanks in advance!

Joe
Okinawa, Japan (currently)
Sacramento, CA (hometown)

2010 Monster 1100 S
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:11:28 AM »

In theory, bleeding is easy.  Real life, often not so much, particularly with motorcycles and ABS.  ABS can be a pregnant dog and ABS can be difficult if air is trapped in the valves. You might just need to bleed a lot more. 

Some tips you might not know:
   Bleed slowly, rapid pumping can foam the fluid.
   Position the bike so the master is as close to parallel to the ground as possible.
   Try a vacuum bleeder if you have a compressor, or, if not, a hand operated Mighty Vac.*
   After bleeding, take a wire tie and use it to hold the brake lever in the applied position over night.over night.
   Still no good, try reverse bleeding.

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MITMV6830&source=froogle&kw=MITMV6830

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MITMV8000&source=froogle&kw=MITMV8000

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:11 AM »

if non of the above works, you might have to visit your dealer or shop of preference for them to perform an "abs bleed" the diagnostic tool shop . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
beethoven

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »

Not sure of the set up on your bike. Had same problem on my 900. After advice from this forum to crack banjo at master cylinder the trapped air was released with pressure on the lever and the problem fixed.
Good luck.

97_M900                                                     07_Triumph_Sprint
ffemt

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »

Thanks all for the advice! I will try that tonight cracking the M/C banjo.

Joe
Okinawa, Japan (currently)
Sacramento, CA (hometown)

2010 Monster 1100 S
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:15:32 PM »

Hold the wrench on the banjo with one hand while you control the lever, and your buddy tightly cover the banjo and wrench with a rag. You may get a hiss of air then a squirt of brake fluid, so this protects your paint and eyes.
If working solo I fit a ring wrench on the banjo then carefully tie a rag around the banjo which helps hold the wrench in place. Have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and cover paint with spare rags.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: