Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 996 engine custom build  (Read 21116 times)
buzzer

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 01:38:12 PM »

well I dye pen tested all the welds on the frame today, all OK apart from the obvious ones...

been stripping the wheels tonight, first I had problems getting the front bearings out as the inner spacer tube is a tight fit and I could not get on edge of the bearing to knock it out, ended up  grinding a piece of flat with a tang on...  this soon had it our.   MUCH harder were the cush rubbers...  I simply could not get to the back of them to get them out.  I made a split collet in the end and pulled them out with a big socket!

greenmonster

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »

Yep, those cush rubbers are always a PITA....

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 05:02:14 AM »

Bit of a departure from bike building just for a change...  thought I would share a couple of other projects I have done recently...  One bike related... a table lamp for my study made from a scrap 1000DS piston and barrel.  Not bike related, a fire pit come BBQ that I made Stainless Steel.  I had the dish spun out of a 750mm diameter blank of 6mm stainless 316.  its an interesting process!  Initially it was going to be just one grill, but my wife said she wanted a separate veggie grill...  hence the two! Bonus brownie points! its been used a lot over the summer, when the BBQ is done, the grills come off, and we throw a few logs on and it becomes a fire pit!

buzzer

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »

I did the tappets…  pleased to say they were all in tolerance!  I also took the cams out to check the rockers, they were pretty near perfect, which was a relief!

Took the frame to the powder coaters…  but he called me today to say there were marks on one of the frame and he was not happy to coat over them…  they must have been under the original paint with filler in them!  I took it back home and just touched them with a sharp drill and TIG welded them up and sanded them down. 

I have also Etch primed the engine ready for a coat of 2K silver  tomorrow.  It took a lot of hours to remove the paint.  I was lucky to find 5 LTR of old stock paint stripper which should keep me going a long time.  the modern stuff is next to useless.  I masked the engine off, a tip i picked up when I was an apprentice in a Bentley dealership for making gaskets was to tap around the gasket material with a plastic hammer...  I do the same masking off..  put the tape on and go around the edge with a small plastic hammer.  you get a perfect edge!

buzzer

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 07:17:01 AM »

the painting came out rather well!  just got to put it back together now!

buzzer

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »

I see a lot of builds spoilt by detail, and have been guilty of it myself in the past,  in particular withe old plated parts... One thing I gave been meaning to do for a long time is have a go at DIY plating. Well I did some today and I have to say I am quite pleased with the results! I have used the blue passivate but there is a yellow gold one in the kit.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:43:33 AM by buzzer » Logged
buzzer

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2019, 01:08:02 AM »

Start of putting the engine back together!  I know its a risk but I have decided to go open belts, I just love the look...  If anyone notices the weld on the engine stand, well I am truly ashamed...  I have no excuse other than i was really down on gas, and had the wrong tip in the MIG welder. A poor workman always blames his tools so they say!

Mhanis

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2019, 03:21:59 AM »

Shiny!

I like it!!

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2019, 06:05:01 AM »

Looking good!

I’m surprised that Ducati left the two bosses under the alternator cover for the carbureted ignition pickups on even the 996 engine...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2019, 11:43:21 AM »

Looking good!

I’m surprised that Ducati left the two bosses under the alternator cover for the carbureted ignition pickups on even the 996 engine...

"They" didn't tell the engineers to delete them?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »

I know later engines don’t have them. Just was a bit surprised that a 996 still had the bosses cast, machined down and even drilled/tapped for the M6 studs...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 07:53:00 PM »

That is odd, '996 block' motors never had carbs.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
buzzer

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2019, 06:34:15 AM »

the frame and wheels are back from the shot blasters...  another superb job by Redditch Shotblasters!  he really is a meticulous guy!  he does a nice Ducati Red, and a matt gold very close to the original!

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »

I hate to be the one to tell you, but that's neither red or gold...

drink

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
buzzer

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »

I hate to be the one to tell you, but that's neither red or gold...

drink

it was almost gold...  changed my mind at the last minute  laughingdp laughingdp
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: