Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 10:10:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 M695 starting problem  (Read 1182 times)
m695

« on: July 17, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »

Hello, I have a 2007 Monster 695. I bought it new in 2007. The bike has been a great joy to ride. I have had a starting problem for about a year now. I have read/heard of the fuel flange issues on these bikes. I pulled the fuel flange/pump assembly out and I didn't see the corrosion or loose/frayed wiring that usually causes the problem. My monster seems like it is sporadic when it comes to the starting issue. Sometimes when I turn on the ignition, it will make beep/chirping sound (like when I get a notice on my cell phone), when it does this the bike starts right up with no problem. Once the bike starts I let it run up operating temp. Once it reaches 200+ degrees, the engine shuts off and I have to wait for a cooldown before it will start again. Now the bike has gone back to just not starting. It sounds like the fuel pump is still priming when I turn on the ignition.

I had to replace the rectifier and relocate for better cooling. I am confused with this starting issue. I'm sure it an electrical problem but I don't know where to start. Is it the ECU, a relay, the fuel flange, etc....

I live in Huntsville AL and there are no Ducati dealers here, there are all an hour and a half away. (Nashville, Birmingham, Chattanooga)

If anyone else has had a similar problem, or has any suggestions, your help would be appreciated. I miss riding my bike.

Thanks.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »

When it doesn't start, is it not cranking/turning over?

Or is it turning over but not starting?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
m695

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »

It is turning over but not starting.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 11:47:00 AM »

The fuel pump wiring problem is not visible, the problem break happens internally.

Assuming you are hearing the fuel pump prime I would suggest bypassing (jumper wire from 30 to 87) or replacing the main relay before pulling your hair out.
m695

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I don't want to sound stupid, but I am not sure which one is the main relay.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:05 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I don't want to sound stupid, but I am not sure which one is the main relay.

This should ease your fear of sounding stupid.  I don't remember which is which.  Pull one relay.  If the fuel pump no longer primes you pulled the pump relay.  The other one is the main relay.  Or, if you can see the wires, the one with the red/white wire going to terminal 85 and red/black to 30.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:47:03 AM by howie » Logged
m695

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »

Thanks again. I pulled each relay, swapped/moved them around. I checked a listened again, and it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is priming. I check the fuses as well (I don't know if mattered), all looked good. THe bike only has 4400 mils and has been well maintained until this starting problem began.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 02:54:33 AM »

Lift tank, remove connector to the fuel pump flange.  When you turn the key on there should be power at the brown/white wire for a few seconds.  No power, the problem is before the fuel pump.  If there is power, remove the pump assembly.  Check the red wire for continuity from the connector to the pump.

Also, there are many threads about this issue on this board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: