Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound increase going to full headers?  (Read 1117 times)
JonS2R

« on: December 22, 2019, 06:14:15 AM »

Hey guys, is there anyone who added full headers after already having a slip-on and can comment on how much louder their bike became?

I have an S2R1k with Sil Moto slip ons. I've got Termi headers I plan to install over the winter but don't want my bike to get any louder than it already is. I commute as much as I can and don't want to make too much racket leaving my neighborhood in the morning.

And as a second thought, has anyone ran headers with the OEM mufflers? I imagine that should still get a little bit of a  power increase by removing the udder without getting too loud.

2007 S2R 1000
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »

When I installed udder-less mid pipes it was FINALLY as it should be (= louder).

DBkillers return it to udder sound levels - give or take.

Low and even throttle inputs and low revs will keep it nice enough. What bothers people mostly is reving up and down, IME.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »

It sounds perfect ..not Harley crazy but Ducati Perfect
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »

Low and even throttle inputs and low revs will keep it nice enough. What bothers people mostly is reving up and down, IME.

That's pretty much it.

Trying to get exhaust note "right" can be pretty difficult, especially if you start watching bunch of youtube videos.

Here's an old video of mine, from 2010. Straight through ARROW full system, no DB killer.
(DON'T listen this on your phone, or laptop, you will need proper speaker(s) to get the idea (about the loudness & exhaust note characteristics). Use external speakers, and listen at proper (realistic) volume level.

This is probably the upper limit of socially acceptable level.
Yes, they are loud.
With WOT, you could hear me coming from two miles away.
With closed throttle and coasting down, it is okay to go through town house area at around 9PM.
It triggers car alarm.
The rattling noise coming from dry clutch is louder than exhaust at idle anyway. So, I push my bike a couple of blocks
at late at night / early in the morning.

The stock silencer is "chambered type" muffler, while almost all aftermarket exhaust system has straight through silencers.
So, with stock silencers sound differently (unless you core them, which I recommend NOT to. If you want straight through, buy aftermarket silencers, leave the stock one as stock and keep them.)

BTW, "straight through" doesn't always sound better.
(This is a good example video if you know how 4A-G sounds. Even if you are not familiar, it still gives you an idea.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:28:11 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: