Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 12:46:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14T front sprocket- what a difference πŸ‘πŸ»  (Read 6030 times)
Sean_696

« on: August 29, 2020, 07:23:51 AM »

Did the 14T sprocket mod on my 696 today, it’s transformed the bike in town, so much smoother and I can’t really notice any difference in acceleration in the twisters.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:27:06 PM »

Should help acceleration off corners and overtaking.

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 07:03:15 AM »

Instead of the 14T front, I went up 3 (?) teeth on the rear last year when I changed the chain and sprockets... you're right... HUGE difference in performance.  Far more rideable around town, and I actually get to use 6th gear now without breaking any speed limits.

I actually bought a 14T front, but after reading the science on it, I decided to wait and change the rear when the time came.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »

While I won't argue about the "(going) larger rear sprocket is better (for the components life time span) than smaller front sprocket" theory, I think it is one of these stories that are overly enhanced story carried from old days. (Just like the story of "mold release on tires makes brand new tires slippery", I've been hearing those stories from early 80s over and over again.)

When people discuss on the subject like this on the internet forum, people tend to focus on the negative effect (chain extra wear) WAY more than it actually matters in the real life.
The simple fact is, countershaft sprocket size IS a factor in chain life (wear), but it is NOT a dominant factor, AT ALL.

Riding environment and maintenance play MUCH, MUCH  bigger rolls.

Motorcycles are meant to be ridden.
If you are relatively new to riding a motorcycle, or new to particular type of motorcycle, and willing to try lowering the final drive ratio, then, try a -1 tooth counter shaft sprocket, and don't worry about what nay sayers say.
It's a whole lot of cheaper, easier to do.
Or, you can wait until you wear out your existing components, save up enough to change the entire drive components, keep riding with too tall gearing and suffer, while you could have enjoyed the ride with slightly lowered final drive.
If you are new rider, and short and light weight, you might stall and drop your bike, while that could have been avoided by lowering the final, by simply changing a countershaft sprocket.

The above story comes from the experience, NOT from the "theory" talk on the internet.

Back in 1983, my motorcycle was this

1982 Honda XL125R, with whopping 12HP (at the crank ...)

I swapped the front sprocket from 13T to 12T.
Partly because I wanted slightly lowered gearing for technical trail and such, but
I mostly wanted to lower the final because I wanted to pull wheelie !
(And I couldn't afford to buy a new chain and F/R sprocket set.)

I rode this bike every day, every night, and I rode it everywhere. Rain, shine, mud, sand, ...

I never experienced any negative effect with -1 tooth front sprocket.

Same story with 1990 KDX200

I went to 12teeth (stock was 13 teeth) front sprocket.
I ride this much harder than XL.

Never had a problem.

Sometimes, people just repeat what they have read somewhere on the net, not talking from their own experience.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »

I'll disagree with S21 on this one.

There are a couple reasons for going up in the rear on a Monster as opposed to going down in the front.

The smaller front sprocket can increase the possibility of the chain protector on the swing arm wearing prematurely and damaging the swing arm.

Depending on rear sprocket size a 14 tooth front can cause a situation where the two sprockets are exact multiples of each other which is a driveline killer. The same can happen with any front sprocket size, but it needs to be taken into account.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 05:33:58 PM »

1982 Honda XL125R, with whopping 12HP (at the crank ...)

I had a '83 XL250R when I was stationed in Colorado.  I called it the little mountain goat.

You are also talking about bikes with very low horsepower and lower top end speed... you weren't going 100MPH on that XL, I guarantee you.  Further, losing a chain when you are tooling around on the street, or up dirt riding is one thing, losing one at highway speeds is another.

My XR650L, like my Monster, was geared insanely high (for noise emissions, like my Ducati...)  I went down one on the front, and up a few on the rear.  It dramatically changed the bike... I can actually start in 2nd gear, saving first for tight trail work.  I have never lost a chain in 27 years of riding the XR... nor do I worry about it.  I do on the Ducati, however, and maybe I'm splitting hairs but they are my hairs to split.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »

The issue is made worse when the rear ride height is raised. Stock ride height ain't so bad, but if you raise the rear then the swingarm angle comes into play with the smaller sprocket to effect the chain run. May effect some models more than others.

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »

The issue is made worse when the rear ride height is raised. Stock ride height ain't so bad, but if you raise the rear then the swingarm angle comes into play with the smaller sprocket to effect the chain run. May effect some models more than others.

This!  My'04 was fine with a 14.  Barely.  Raising the ride height, not so much!
wasta

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »

Been running a 14t on my M900 for seven years, had no problems at all.
It's much quicker off the mark and you feed gears quicker, top end speed does suffer but on an old bike like this I don't tend to go  over 6k revs anyway.
A quick and easy mod for a nice gain.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1999 Monster 900, 2009 YZF R1, 2008 BMW K1200GT
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 02:04:04 AM »

Been running a 14t on my M900 for seven years, had no problems at all.
It's much quicker off the mark and you feed gears quicker, top end speed does suffer but on an old bike like this I don't tend to go  over 6k revs anyway.
A quick and easy mod for a nice gain.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Remove the tapatalk sig from your phone.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=73379.msg1351052#msg1351052

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

wasta

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 02:16:24 AM »

Cheers

1999 Monster 900, 2009 YZF R1, 2008 BMW K1200GT
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 02:17:19 AM »

Thanks! waytogo

perspective

humes

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 06:48:01 PM »

I made the switch from a 15t to 14t front sprocket on my 2012 M696 and I've definitely enjoyed less feathering at slow speeds and fun punch off stop lights and through twisties. I can definitely tell at top end speed that I've lost a bit, but I can happily sit on the highway at ~6k RPM going 70 mph and my gas mileage is still 45-50 mpg. When I need it, I can still punch up to 80-90-100 if I want, but I like that it helps keep me within 15 mph of the speed limit, generally.

Also can confirm it doesn't impact the speedometer compared to the 15t front sprocket (for those wondering), although do note that Ducati's run 8% high on most Monster models (due to EU regulation of sorts). So when my speedo says 50 it's really 46 mph. So I typically roll 80 mph on the highway which is about 74 mph in a 65 mph zone.

As for install, I'm completely new to any type of mechanical work and found the DIY install manageable with an hour or two of sleuthing around and just grabbed the sprocket off eBay for ~$20. One tip is that I unbolted the rearset to make it easier to get the chain off the 15t and my side stand uses that bolt too and almost collapsed on me (I hadn't yet put it on a paddock stand). So be careful there.

As for maintenance/service, good points raised here. I haven't noticed any ridability issues but will keep tabs on the components (which is good advice, anyway).
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »

My situation is a bit annoying with an M1100Evo. I want to lower the gearing to actually use 6th gear and aid highway acceleration (it has plenty, but Im greedy), but 1st gear is a bit short and the tuned motor makes lots of torque. I guess it means I would like a close ratio box and adjust the final drive ratio to suit. Lowering the current gearing would have the motor revving pretty loud just crossing a big intersection, so I'm putting up with it and using 6th as an overdrive at 75+mph. If the bike had a cassette gearbox I would have fitted a close ratio box by now as the torque will easily pull second gear from a standing start. Its much easier to resolve this issue with the older bikes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:44:20 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
greenmonster

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 01:58:01 AM »

I'm putting up with it and using 6th as an overdrive at 75+mph

That’s where l’m at w 14/40 on the MTS 1100DS, works very well IMHO.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: