Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 07:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing scratches in mirrors  (Read 1601 times)
d3vi@nt

« on: March 16, 2021, 04:56:15 PM »

Not entirely sure this is the correct forum for this question...

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a product that removes light scratches from mirrors circa 2013?

I've no idea what the material is. Undoubtedly something laminated over plastic, if that even matters.

There's lots of "miracle" stuff out there, which is why I was hoping for FHE.

TIA.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 05:38:08 PM »

Pics?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
d3vi@nt

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »

Pics?
Hmm. I tried, but they just don't show up in a picture. They're definitely more visible in natural light, but still can't capture them.

Just light, individual surface scratches, not through to the layer below. Not like scuffs or anything egregious, but enough to be obnoxious for those of us OCD freaks.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 04:07:36 PM »

Hmm. I tried, but they just don't show up in a picture. They're definitely more visible in natural light, but still can't capture them.

Just light, individual surface scratches, not through to the layer below. Not like scuffs or anything egregious, but enough to be obnoxious for those of us OCD freaks.
OK, so scratches are on plastic?
Try sanding, lightly with 800-1000-1200-1500 then apply a base coat, available in can spray, let dry at least overnight, then use the 1500 wet and even out, dry, degrease, apply antoher base and let dry overnight again, repeat sanding and cleaning, apply colour, repeat process as before.

I did this with a set of 696/1100 Monster mirrors and you had to know they were scratched to know, I did heat my oven turn it off and placed them inside before painting just to barely heat the surface and after painting ... mirrors lasted as long as the bike did ... I did use them first on my own

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
d3vi@nt

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »

OK, so scratches are on plastic?
No, sorry... scratches are in the reflective surface of the mirror, not painted surface.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 06:07:01 PM »

Random online glass shop recommended a light abrasive, like Brasso, which I happened to have on hand. Also recommended using a damp cloth with it. Thoroughly clean the mirror first.

I tested on a junk mirror, then went for the bike mirrors. Seemed to help a bit. It will probably take a lot of rubbing to clear them all out. I'll fiddle with it some more and see how it goes. But it didn't make things worse, at least.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

In sunlight, I can tell the Brasso polished up the mirror nicely. However, it seems to have in effect polished up the scratches so they seem to catch more light than when it was duller. Not really worse, but definitely not better.

I'll probably just leave it alone at this point.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 05:20:23 PM »

No, sorry... scratches are in the reflective surface of the mirror, not painted surface.
OK, you can get this, make a paste and use as regular polish paste, just, don't rub in too hard.
I use this to polish windows in cars when detailing ... I do use a random orbital polisher to do it

Carlos
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: