Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 04:31:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to me - 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon  (Read 7676 times)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2021, 10:24:04 AM »

So any news or updates on the bike? How's it running?

All good so far!! I'm gradually amassing the various electrical spares that most Gran Canyon riders routinely pack along for long trips, just in case, and will need to address an electrical connector under the tail that's showing some age - a know failure point that will take the regulator along with it when it goes. I'm just starting to diagnose a fairly subtle surge/lag that's most noticeable riding around a steady 25-35 mph/4K RPM. It doesn't feel like a cylinder miss, but I'm starting with fuel delivery and will then turn my attention to spark/coils, etc. DMF sponsor CA Cycleworks makes a nice set of replacement coils that are an easy upgrade and would be worth doing regardless.

The biggest news is that I owe a much belated public thank you to Nick (Speeddog)  for cutting me a breathtaking deal on some of the impossible to find body parts from a GC he'd parted out. A former co-worker of mine picked up the parts while she was passing through Southern California, and when I picked them up from her there were four large boxes - pretty much everything from the bike except frame, fork, wheels & motor. Thank you, Nick! I'm still going through the boxes & getting greedy -  once I know what's there, we'll need to figure out a price to keep the lot of it!

You may have noticed that this DMF is a pretty awesome place, with pretty fantastic people.  waytogo Dolph waytogo

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »

Great to hear.
Possibly an EPA mandated flat spot?
Sounds like a cache of parts like those being hoarded by first gen Monster owners. Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2021, 08:18:43 PM »

Great to hear.
Possibly an EPA mandated flat spot?

Sounds like a cache of parts like those being hoarded by first gen Monster owners. Grin

What I was thinking.  Anyway after confirming basic settings that is where I would start.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »

One other bit of good news - there's an equally enthusiastic online community of Gran Canyon owners, most of whom migrated over from a defunct Yahoo Groups listserve to Groups.io - lots of good model-specific experience to be had there.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2021, 05:29:40 PM »

I saw one for sale in another state and was tempted. After reading bikeboys write up with 900 ie heads/cams, dyno tuning and an open airbox, I thought ie heads and pods with stacks might give more power. Brads test of an open airbox showed no gain, so I entertained pods with stacks inside and an airbox delete. The top of the airbox probably gets poor flow so an open lid makes no difference to power it seems. I generally like a good airbox, however pods make servicing easier. You would need to find someone that can dyno tune and flash to an eprom chip to do it. Or stay stock Grin
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 05:31:11 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: