Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 39003 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2022, 06:15:19 PM »

Nice. So it'll be done soon?  laughingdp

Likely on the road next summer.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2022, 03:41:56 PM »

Likely on the road next summer.

DIMBY 2023!!!

...or OTIMBY?

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2022, 04:54:18 PM »

DIMBY 2023!!!

...or OTIMBY?

Seems reasonable!

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2022, 06:25:28 PM »

DIMBY 2023!!!

...or OTIMBY?

Seems reasonable!

That would be a looooog way to go in this thing laughingdp

Dolph Dolph

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2022, 02:40:56 AM »

That would be a looooog way to go in this thing laughingdp

Dolph Dolph
Says the guy that used to ride here. laughingdp

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2022, 01:42:46 PM »

New frame design to clear the front axle tube
2022-07-02_05-39-51 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-07-02_05-40-08 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »

It would be swell if this works

2022-07-03_04-31-39 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2022, 03:45:12 PM »

I've never seen a joggle like that done with the frame removed before.  Tongue

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2022, 04:52:25 PM »

I've never seen a joggle like that done with the frame removed before.  Tongue

How else could you do it?  Old and new can't take up the same space

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »

Weld the notch in place and then the part under the hump gets cut off.

Like this:

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2022, 05:42:17 PM »

Interesting. Everything I cut off is being replaced though. No material to weld to on the front half

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2022, 12:32:32 AM »

DIMBY 2023!!!

...or OTIMBY?
..... somebody say... DIMBY?   Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2022, 03:17:24 PM »

I guess I should update. That last month or so has been a struggle. I have had problem after problem with my mig welder. On top of that, with mig, I'm at the bottom of the learning curve as far as troubleshooting. Thankfully one of my employees has years of experience with mig and has been coaching me through it.

Welding on the bench is cake. Anyone can do it. Welding on a vehicle, out of position, using muscles you don't even have is a challenge.

I can't tell you how many welds I did, hated, then ground out only to repeat the process.

Fun fact, just because things go well on an, for example, outside corner joint that's horizontal does not mean the same settings will work on the same joint at any other angle. It's wild. Gravity plays a big part as well.

I had so many bad welds I resorted to welding test coupons that mimicked the joint and angle so I had at least a chance of getting settings close enough to produce a good (enough) weld. Since the section of frame I'm adding will support the engine, front suspension and steering my life is depending on the quality of this work.

I never got the hang of vertical up but vertical down I could make work. So that's what I ran on the truck. Whatever worked best on test coupons was the winner.

In the end, the welds are functional.  I hate them all and wish they were better looking.

It begins-
2022-08-14_06-44-14 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-08-14_06-44-31 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Had to use an old splitting maul to force the rails into position. Use what you have and all.

2022-08-14_06-44-44 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

One side plated and tacked together
2022-08-14_06-45-08 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Two shots of the old frame on the floor directly under the new frame. Nice that the angles matched. The second pic I shifted to one side to get rid of the parallax. If I had this wrong the old frame
rail on the one side would be visible under the new frame. Success!
2022-08-14_06-45-25 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-08-14_06-45-34 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Rather than build more shit than I needed to I decided to try and reuse the core support.
2022-08-14_06-45-43 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Too bad I trimmed too much and now have some huge gaps to contend with. Whatever. I'll handle it. I was at least able to tack it into place.
2022-08-14_06-45-54 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Here you can see that the rear half of the support's attachment area is gone. I decided to box the underside with 3/16 plate. The plan is to trim off that corner flap and then make a triangular piece of steel to fit the gap and tie in the frame to the plating I added underneath.
2022-08-14_06-46-02 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-08-14_06-46-11 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Strong, like bull.
2022-08-14_06-46-18 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

And of course, I needed to refit the cowl and hood to make sure everything was going to go back where it came from. What a dumbass I would be if I fully welded everything and then found I'd made a mistake. I'm not going to be that guy.
2022-08-14_06-46-32 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

It will need some slight adjustments to fit exactly the way it did before I cut the frame. All of those adjustments are well within the range that came from the factory. I am good to go!
2022-08-14_06-46-40 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Here's one of the issues I had with my welder. This was a very bad day at the office lol. I had run out of wire and replaced it with a spool that I bought a couple months ago. It would run good, then it would run terrible. I mean really terrible. The picture shows the cause. Rather than feeding nicely off the spool the wire was getting pulled into itself.

As it turns out the package must have been damaged and shipping and the plastic drum that the wire is wound on to was broken almost in half. The internet said there's nothing you can do but throw it away and get a good spool. I really didn't want to do that since I really wanted to keep working.

As it turns out a 2-in hole saw will fit the ID of my old empty drum. So I set up a contraption to feed all of the new wire onto the old drum. I used a cordless drill to turn it and use my fingers to guide it back and forth. While it's not very pretty it has so far been 100% functional!

2022-08-14_06-46-57 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Today I was able to cut two fish plates out and get them welded into place on the right frame rail. I'm out of steel so until I get some more work is at a standstill. Fish plating the other side will finish the frame rails. All that will be left will be to fully tie in the core support.
2022-08-14_06-47-35 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 03:22:39 PM by Monsterlover » Logged

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2022, 03:58:55 AM »

I love it.

DesmoDiva

« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2022, 03:07:07 PM »

Looks great!

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: