Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 01:18:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 48743 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2023, 11:00:03 AM »

waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »

Nice work, ML!

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2023, 02:43:07 PM »

Nice work, ML!

Thank you!  I'm mostly just making it up as I go. It's working so far!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2023, 05:29:28 PM »

Evil Evil

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2023, 04:17:40 AM »

Great work!
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2023, 03:05:34 PM »

Not a ton of work got done this weekend but it all adds up.

I fit the original steering column to get some measurements and order an aftermarket one but as it turns out this one fits pretty well. I'm going to try and reuse it.

I'll have to do some machining on the end so it can couple with the steering joints I bought but I know a guy that can do that.

I also ordered all those steering bits today along with a power rack from a 99-06 2wd Silverado.  It's the right width and I'm going to see if I can fit it in and make it functional.

2023-02-26_05-57-45 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I also started mocking up the sheet metal pattern for the passenger side. That firewall has some compound curves that don't look fun to overlay but I'll make it work. It's what hammers are for after all.
2023-02-26_05-57-54 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2023, 03:47:26 PM »

I really like what you did  with the floor.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2023, 04:08:54 PM »

I really like what you did  with the floor.

Thanks!  Like I said. Making it up as I go and doing what makes sense to me.

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2023, 08:02:20 AM »

Awesome.  Cool

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2023, 12:00:32 PM »

Is the 'doghouse' going to be removable?

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2023, 12:33:30 PM »

Is the 'doghouse' going to be removable?

No it's already stitched in.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »

Actually, the floor pans that I am in the process of constructing. I think I'm going to mount with rivets. I was originally going to weld them in and the more I got into it the more I think a bunch of rivets would look pretty cool.

Those floor pans are going to be flanged on the inside to allow me to rivet to the transmission tunnel.

I think I'm just going to run a bead of steam sealer everywhere things touch and go to town with the rivet gun

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »

And speaking of rivet guns... I have a ton of DeWalt cordless tools but they do not make a riveter.

I have a handheld one, but there's going to be enough rivets in this project that I don't want to be squeezing them one by one. Has anybody ever used a pneumatic one? I have not ever used one or seen one in action. I think they use them for production riveting so they must work. I'm just wondering how user friendly are they? Price is certainly right.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »

And speaking of rivet guns... I have a ton of DeWalt cordless tools but they do not make a riveter.

I have a handheld one, but there's going to be enough rivets in this project that I don't want to be squeezing them one by one. Has anybody ever used a pneumatic one? I have not ever used one or seen one in action. I think they use them for production riveting so they must work. I'm just wondering how user friendly are they? Price is certainly right.
I haven't, but another option is stitch welding the panels and then sealing. If you use a weldable zinc primer it should help with the corrosion issue, and eliminate the purchase of another tool, and the pain of all the hand riveting.

Just a thought.

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2023, 01:44:49 PM »

I haven't, but another option is stitch welding the panels and then sealing. If you use a weldable zinc primer it should help with the corrosion issue, and eliminate the purchase of another tool, and the pain of all the hand riveting.

Just a thought.

But rivets look awesome.

This is the gun I'm looking at
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-PR14-Riveter/dp/B000MQ9H4W/ref=sxin_21_pa_sp_phone_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.cf610209-8684-4ca3-bdd7-27cd805c222b%3Aamzn1.sym.cf610209-8684-4ca3-bdd7-27cd805c222b&crid=TUNSXJHE7UQC&cv_ct_cx=rivet+gun&keywords=rivet+gun&pd_rd_i=B000MQ9H4W&pd_rd_r=e43b4681-29c4-4a95-bdfc-ce5513e15b0e&pd_rd_w=LgmqY&pd_rd_wg=B2nL9&pf_rd_p=cf610209-8684-4ca3-bdd7-27cd805c222b&pf_rd_r=G12PM3AH716RP76G3F3H&qid=1677534236&sprefix=rivet%2Caps%2C137&sr=1-2-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFLOVZJUExNQTI1WjkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMTc2NTJLQUszVUgyOUxBTzUmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDQwMDU4MzFXUEJKQVFaS1BUN0cmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

No way I'd do it all by hand.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: