Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 01:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 48781 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #450 on: March 03, 2024, 01:05:37 PM »

If I clean the rust off he underside of the cab and i sprayed the epoxy primer I used on my frame-

-would it handle an imperfectly clean panel?  I doubt I can get all the rust

-would it play nice with rubberized undercoating?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #451 on: March 03, 2024, 02:02:37 PM »

If I clean the rust off he underside of the cab and i sprayed the epoxy primer I used on my frame-

-would it handle an imperfectly clean panel?  I doubt I can get all the rust

-would it play nice with rubberized undercoating?
I'm going to assume you're asking me... Grin

Any rust that's there, left untreated, will continue to grow. That's why they call it cancer.

If it were me, I'd spray the rust with SEM Rust-Mort to try and convert the rust to magnetite, and use something other than epoxy, because that product will cause poor adhesion for the epoxy. Get a urethane primer, which will work fine with the undercoating, and the acidic surface left by the Rust-Mort.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #452 on: March 03, 2024, 02:15:43 PM »

I'll stop by the paint store tomorrow and see if they can hook me up with something in an aerosol can. I don't have a very large area that needs treated.

So this rust mort, can I just spray it right on the rust? Or do I need to get rid of as much rust as possible before I begin and anything I miss the product will just take care of?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #453 on: March 03, 2024, 02:16:16 PM »

She looks naked!

PXL_20240303_221124252 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #454 on: March 03, 2024, 02:22:50 PM »

Any loose scale you can remove is a plus. If it turns black after the treatment it was a success. Problem is if you turn the surface to magnetite and there's red rust underneath it won't work.

Make sense?

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #455 on: March 03, 2024, 02:28:42 PM »

make the beast with two backsin rust.

I'm sure I'll have more questions

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #456 on: March 03, 2024, 02:32:24 PM »

Ask away...

perspective

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #457 on: March 04, 2024, 08:32:57 AM »

The trick is to crawl underneath it and knock everything loose with some high speed wire wheel or some such until all that stuff lands in your hair and your eyes, at which point you'll know you're done.

Then have some ribs.

There a good way to fill to master cylinders?

I did like the way some VW cars split the dual master-each portion got a front and a rear wheel. That way if you lost half....you'd have 50% stopping power, as opposed to around 90 or...10.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #458 on: March 04, 2024, 11:53:18 AM »

I did like the way some VW cars split the dual master-each portion got a front and a rear wheel. That way if you lost half....you'd have 50% stopping power, as opposed to around 90 or...10.

I imagine you'd want to set that up as LF/RR and RF/LR?

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #459 on: March 04, 2024, 12:05:56 PM »

Probably, unless you're racing Nascar.

That is what they did, though.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #460 on: March 04, 2024, 12:08:32 PM »

I'm not sure how that would work for me since I have to run two different size masters for the front and rear. Cool concept though.

Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #461 on: March 04, 2024, 12:17:39 PM »

I'm not sure how that would work for me since I have to run two different size masters for the front and rear. Cool concept though.

Exactly my thoughts.  Different pressure F/R.  My concern if it were L/R is the pull to one side or the other that you'd get.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2024, 12:18:38 PM »

Wouldn't work for you at all, it just came to mind seeing that setup.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #463 on: March 04, 2024, 01:21:27 PM »

All front wheel drive cars since the dual master was mandated.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2024, 06:09:14 AM »

I'm going to assume you're asking me... Grin

Any rust that's there, left untreated, will continue to grow. That's why they call it cancer.

If it were me, I'd spray the rust with SEM Rust-Mort to try and convert the rust to magnetite, and use something other than epoxy, because that product will cause poor adhesion for the epoxy. Get a urethane primer, which will work fine with the undercoating, and the acidic surface left by the Rust-Mort.

Do you neutralize the Rust-Mort in some way after or just prime right over it?

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: