Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:46:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 41901 times)
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2024, 04:01:19 PM »

Course has already been corrected.

Side note- the tech support number for SEM is funny. They don't even bother trying to answer they just outright tell you we're too busy to answer the phone right now and to leave a message.

I also sent an email into tech support which they did respond to fairly quickly. I have not gotten a call back.

It sounds like this stuff wasn't really meant for surface rust even though you can use it in that application. Looks like it's meant for heavier rust that's beyond surface.
Our tech support works sort of the same way, you call, leave a message and a tech[me] will call you back

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2024, 04:45:50 PM »

Our tech support works sort of the same way, you call, leave a message and a tech[me] will call you back

Yeah but if I didn't want to talk now I'd send an email Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #497 on: March 14, 2024, 03:43:52 AM »

Yeah but if I didn't want to talk now I'd send an email Grin
In our case is that during the c19 era, we all went to work from home ... I was connected directly to the phone central but, then the ISP provider made changes and we couldn't get the calls directed to us]back then], me now, directly ... So, gotta call and leave a message ... My phone number will ring for you if you were to call directly but, I would NOT know you are dialing since it's 'an outgoing line only' ... Plus, I'm about 5 000 miles away from Detroit

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #498 on: March 24, 2024, 09:20:08 AM »

PXL_20240310_175739035 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240316_170505384 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240316_170532164.MP by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240323_212720989 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240323_203538451.MP by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240323_203414666 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Floors are permanently installed now Smiley

Had to move the passenger side turbo drain because I didn't think about it when I initially put it in and the starter blocks it laughingdp

I used bulkhead AN fittings the first time because I was afraid to weld on the pan. This time I went the weld route. Looks ok to me so here's hoping it doesn't leak through the weld.

PXL_20240324_164707566 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240324_164651856 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #499 on: March 24, 2024, 02:19:11 PM »

And now I'm fixing paint. Again.

laughingdp

received_3348113028668055 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2024, 04:42:53 PM »

I was also able to get the engine and transmission back in by myself. And got the starter mounted. Pretty solid 9 hours of work today.

I'm just happy that things are more assembling versus disassembling now. It's a big deal.

PXL_20240324_235113089 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #501 on: March 24, 2024, 06:05:43 PM »

...I'm just happy that things are more assembling versus disassembling now. It's a big deal.

applause

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #502 on: March 24, 2024, 06:21:46 PM »

And now I'm fixing paint. Again.

laughingdp

received_3348113028668055 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr
How'd it go?

Ya know...if'n you did all your friggen fabricating before you painted...

it would look better. Kiss

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #503 on: March 24, 2024, 06:26:43 PM »

How'd it go?

Ya know...if'n you did all your friggen fabricating before you painted...

it would look better. Kiss

I did all the fab before paint. Things just needed a little clearance. When I painted initially, I had a different plan for headlights.

Adapt and overcome.

I think it came out pretty well. The only real way to know is look at it in daylight which is a little ways off. Looking at it with a spotlight though, things look pretty decent.

I ended up buying a detail spray gun at harbor freight for $15. And it actually did a pretty good job.

I masked a bunch of the frame and tried to do it in such a way that the line wouldn't show. Well, we all know how that goes.  

Before things were dry I pulled the masking and there were some sharp edges that showed. I fogged them out and it looks like it worked. And I'm pretty sure I managed to keep the paint where the paint was supposed to go.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #504 on: March 24, 2024, 07:05:44 PM »

waytogo Good call on the detail gun.

...for the record...clearance is fabrication... Grin

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #505 on: April 03, 2024, 01:29:07 PM »

Been working steadily and plan to continue that. Still lots to do but less so every time I'm out here turning wrenches on it.

Intake assembly did not exactly go to plan. Turns out the bolts that came with my intercooler were out of spec. One of them so much that it turned into a self-wocking bolt.

The holes in the intercooler didn't line up exactly with the intake but it was pretty close. I had all the bolts started a couple turns and was running them in gently with my cordless impactor. Done this many times. I did two and noted they were a little snug and the third one was when I decided to pull the plug. I didn't like the way it felt. I took the first two out and all the rest that I had started just a couple turns. The third one I had driven in was permanent.

Pipe wrench didn't work. Welding and nut to the stud and trying to turn it out failed four times, shortening the stud each time.

I ended up grinding it flush, center punching it, drilling it out oversized, tapping it for a thread insert and installing a thread insert. That worked. The whole process really took the wind out of my sails last weekend though.

PXL_20240329_013650275 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240329_152034114 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240329_181334128 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240329_185940432 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240329_190017150 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240329_190055782 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240329_211116359 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I am officially obsessed with 12 point fasteners. I love the way they look.

PXL_20240401_212115864 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Old, crappy tailgate bolts got replaced with new stainless hardware and cap nuts. I've been looking at them for 3 years and always knew I would replace them then the other day just about tore and ass cheek off on one of them. So they got replaced now.
PXL_20240401_212625006 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240401_212639998 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240401_212815477 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240401_212825389 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

And on to my shifter fiasco. I never caught it but the tremac t56 Magnum, and the t56s that come in all the Camaros and whatnot all have the shifter rolled towards the driver something like 10°. I never noticed it.

I cut the hole for the shifter in the center of my transmission tunnel and after everything was installed the shift lever was damn near up against the left side of that hole.

I was able to find a nifty adapter that lets you adjust the shifter angle something like 15° any direction. As it turns out it was designed for the stock tremec shifter location which is at the rear of the transmission.

I am using the mid shift option which puts the shifter about 8 in forward and is a slightly different design. The adapter interfered with the body of the shifter so I ended up making this bracket to raise the adapter up vertically as well as bend it more towards the passenger side some unknown number of degrees. It'll all be covered by the shift boot anyway so even though it looks bulky it won't matter because no one will ever see it.  I cut my shifter out of a piece of plywood just for mock-up purposes and everything came out pretty perfect as far as the location of my hand in space and the shift lever not hitting the dash or steering wheel etc.

PXL_20240401_221509313 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr
PXL_20240402_212405995 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240401_221504122 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240403_211106106 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr
PXL_20240403_211114999 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

PXL_20240403_211050353 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I am now at the point where I need to figure out where I will mount a battery, where I will mount my ECU and how I will route my wiring. I have also found a hydraulic parking brake apparatus that will essentially keep the rear brakes locked using just brake pressure from the pedal. It's small and I probably should install it to pass the enhanced inspection when I go through that process. Nice thing is it will be out of the way and not bulky like a big handle that you pull in your Honda Accord.

And beyond mounting all those things and routing all those wires will be constructing turbo manifolds.

I have concerns about the weight of the turbos being so far outboard of the engine since I need to route the piping under the hood and back up in space. I don't have a way to keep them tight to the block, at least that I've yet discovered.

Option would be to go straight up through the hood on each side but I'm not as keen on that look.

Everything's up in the air at this point. It shakes out how it shakes out.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:34:28 PM by Monsterlover » Logged

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #506 on: April 04, 2024, 07:07:27 AM »

Cool

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #507 on: April 04, 2024, 07:15:43 AM »

Man, I just went back and looked through the beginning few pages of this thread. Have I had this truck almost 3 years and been working on it for almost 2 and 1/2???

Where does the time go...

And the money, where has that gone?!?!?  Whatever, it's still cheaper than a kid or a gambling/ drug habit

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #508 on: April 04, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »

I'm thinking this for the shift lever

Yay or nay

Screenshot at 2024-04-04 16-46-51 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #509 on: April 04, 2024, 12:56:21 PM »

I like it, but not for this truck.

perspective

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: