Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: s2r 05 Spring Ritual, Out from storage; Start Hesitation?!  (Read 1091 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« on: January 10, 2022, 02:29:22 PM »

Posted this for some insight to help others, as much as to me-self thinking this through; please chime in with what you do.

Might be a starter motor issue; but then again could be a bunch of “thinngggs”.

Pressing the starter button there’s was 2 second hesitation (and ut-ho!? cartoon panic bubble forms over head) and hard turn over the motor?; almost like it won’t turn over as the compression built (ya know that “RrrRer” sound?). Then turns over and fires right away, so little relived im still in business  Dolph. Charged battery seems good, and holds a charge, re-torqued the terminal connections, battery looks like the original, so ya its old.

Where’s the most obvious place to start cleaning?. Starter going? Some corrosion in the wiring circuit, or starter motor? Corroded Solenoid connection? Or something to do with oil? Or Cylinders? Too much valve compression? This happened on the 1st and 2nd start ups. Also had choke lever on full (throttle lever); where would the suspect ground, (or other major electrical connections) this be located? Batter to fix now than later ideology. Should I clean a treat all the electrical contacts / connection with wd40?

To explain further; nice a low mileage s2r 05 that has been in storage for a couple of years in an insulated garage. Did the basic spring startup tune-up last weekend; plugged pigtail on battery into trickle Jr Tender (I do this every month or 2 on all smaller battery’s seems to keep em happy, in long term working order), cleaned plugs & squirted engine oil & short squirt of wd40 into cylinders plug holes, drained old and got new gas 91 Shell (no Ethanol supposedly), added a short squirt of carb cleaner + throttle body cleaner + small amount of heat, to a small amount of new gas in tank (to clean injectors out) then pressed starter after I was satisfied that all this would help it out of hibernation. (dusted and added air to tires too, but that doesn’t help it starter any).

Only little worry was this hesitation of the starter; everything worked 100% after the hesitation.

From memory, there’s a small input of power when the starter button is pressed; to engage the solenoid where a large amount of power is delivered to the starter motor to turn the motor over, spin the pistons and overcome the valve compression, some power to sparkers (plugs), lots of power from the coils.

Some ideas from past posts; with thanks to all that this info is still here.  waytogo

My battery is still the one that came with the bike in 04, works fine.

To locate the solenoid, trace the large wire from the positive battery terminal, it goes directly to the solenoid. It is a sealed unit either it works or replace it. Only thing you can do is check that the terminals are clean and tight. A more likely candidate would be the connection to the starter.

What's actually happening is that when the solenoid closes and fires the starter, the extra current draw from the starter makes the battery voltage drop. Then there isn't enough volts to keep the solenoid closed, so it opens. Battery volts go back up, solenoid closes and the process repeats. Click, click, click.

The circuitry that drives the coil on the solenoid is marginal on modern ducs. I got fed up with mine and put a buffer before the solenoid. I rolled my own transistor based circuit but a simple relay would have worked just as well.

.... all the world is yours.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:27:18 PM »

Have you had the battery load tested?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DuciD03

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:58:19 PM »

Have you had the battery load tested?

... yeah. don't have a load tester handy, and the battery is original so old and yer probably right on that one  ... HO i can try oyt that new fan-dangled lithium battery booster connecting  to the jr tender pig tail.

"Charged battery seems good, and holds a charge, re-torqued the terminal connections, battery looks like the original, so ya its old."

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 08:58:28 PM »

... yeah. don't have a load tester handy, and the battery is original so old and yer probably right on that one  ... HO i can try oyt that new fan-dangled lithium battery booster connecting  to the jr tender pig tail.

"Charged battery seems good, and holds a charge, re-torqued the terminal connections, battery looks like the original, so ya its old."

Sounds like either battery or high resistance.  First, fully charge battery and load test.  No load tester?  Some parts stores will check for free, or, if over four years old, just replace.  Me, I want to know the condition of the battery, even if I am replacing it.Then check for high resistance at all connections.  Tightening does not eliminate corrosion. 

Yes this is for a car, but it works for bikes too. 
DuciD03

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 08:34:37 AM »

Sounds like either battery or high resistance.  First, fully charge battery and load test.  No load tester?  Some parts stores will check for free, or, if over four years old, just replace.  Me, I want to know the condition of the battery, even if I am replacing it. Then check for high resistance at all connections.  Tightening does not eliminate corrosion. 

I was fully charged before pressing the starter, after being the battery on a jr tender overnight (24hrs?). Battery's probably +15 yrs old; lol.

Ill get out the new fangled lithium battery booster; after load testing the battery by turning it over with the kill switch "on" a couple of times.

where would the most likely high resistance come from? Starter connections at the bottom of the motor or corroded selinoid contact? there a whole bunch of amps input at those points.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 09:27:07 AM »

Fully charged does not mean good, nor does a good voltage reading.  Either get the battery load tested or get a new battery.  Testing further without a known good battery is like pissing up a rope.

High resistance can be anywhere, that is why you start with total voltage drop, then each connection and component.  This is also a good idea to test before cleaning.

Forgot to say, the connection on the starter is easy to break internally, use caution!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: