Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:17:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Baron’s Ultimate Ducati Desmo Manual  (Read 1667 times)
greenmonster

« on: January 25, 2022, 10:20:43 AM »

Seems pretty good as addition to WS manuals.
Anyone read/has it?

Review: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/07/16/red-barons-ultimate-ducati-desmo-manual-review-riders-library/

Sample:  https://www.veloce.co.uk/warehouse/downloads/sample_pdfs/V4878.pdf

Author:

"I started writing the book when I worked as a civil engineer and just after finishing it, I quit my lifetime occupation to start a very small independent Ducati specializaed workshop. I work on my own, earn not much money but it all makes me basically a VERY HAPPY man!!!"

About the book:

"The book is divided into 4 main sections:

INTRODUCTION
This includes things as tools, garage organization tips and fairing removal for a wide variety of Ducati models.

MAINTENANCE
Here you have everything you need to perform a 'Desmo Service' and other things such as fork overhaul (Showa and Öhlins included), brake pad replacement, final transmission replacement and so on.

ENGINE
I start with a little basic theory on how an engine and particularly a Ducati timing belt driven engine works (basic to understand what you're doing when performing engine maintenance and repairs)
Then an engine is taken apart, then overhauled including how to take the different measurements and even how to use measuring tools (it's written for everyone, regardless his/her experience) and reassembled, explaining carefully the important operations to perform from conrod and crankshaft bearings to valve seat cutting and grinding.

ELECTRONIC INJECTION AND ECU MANAGEMENT
I find this is the most theoretical part of the book. Although the procedures to adjust throttle bodies are there, this is not an easy operation without special (and very expensive) professional equipment, although for an amount of models, it can be done.

Besides this and to best clarify your question, there are a couple of VERY IMPORTANT things to highlight:

FIRST:
ALL the operations to be performed on the different engine families are included: 2&3V, desmoquattro (first gen 4V), Testastretta (999 and 749 4V) and Testastretta evoluzione (1098-on 4V).
In this way, you'll find an specific chapter explaining cam timing on the different models and a separate one explaining how to perform the belt replacement for each of the engines family. The same goes for valve adjustment, head overhauling, etc.

SECOND:
To work on your particular bike model, as our fellow members have already explained (and is stated in the introduction of the book itself), you need the Service manual as this is the document that contains the specific data for your bike: valve clearance specs, torque values, measurement tolerances of the different engine components and so on.
Also, although the main differences between different engine evolutions are included, there are certain specific details that vary from engine to engine evolution. These are not normally important to perform the different operations but might be somehow different of what you may find in your specific model and even model year.

Finally, I'd like to add that I started writing this book as a DIY user (no matter how advanced) and is therefore aimed to fit the needs of other DIY users. (I became a professional just after its completion). The Service Manuals are professional-oriented and do not explain how to use some tools or remove a bearing from a case. My book does. I didn't know how to do this first time and it is not explained in the services manual: this book bridges that gap and I think that's it's most remarkable feature."

Shop:  https://www.amazon.ca/Barons-Ultimate-Ducati-Desmo-Manual/dp/1845848780

Publisherhttp://www.veloce.co.uk/

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:28:27 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 02:56:25 AM »

Thanks.
I was able to get it locally.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 10:29:32 AM »

Think it will be a must have.

Amazon has 2 versions (maybe one is used and one is new) unsure but both are Paperback.

I am a big fan of PDF format for technical/learning books; I can annotate and change to my style of understanding in more controlled manner and not my writing scribble scrabble jajaja. Pdf buying links?
MonsterHPD

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 01:37:40 AM »

Never heard of it before, but it seems like a good addition to any Ducati library, as a WS manual as well as a reference source. I suppose we all get unsure about hoe to do things from time to time, and this seems to be a manual with mire than just the hands-on info of normal WS manuals.

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: