Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:23:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guzzi 1100 custom build  (Read 21671 times)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 12:45:40 PM »

Your range of skills and ability to produce such excellent work is starting to annoy the make the beast with two backs out of me  Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
buzzer

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2022, 05:36:22 AM »

Your range of skills and ability to produce such excellent work is starting to annoy the make the beast with two backs out of me  Grin

I can only apologise  Grin

As I am taking off the linked brakes I needed to use a different rear caliper. I toyed around with making the rear caliper floating and using a torque arm… but in the end decided to use a neater, smaller bracket instead. It also meant that I could mount the speed sensor for the speedo as I am using a combined speedo / tacho.

buzzer

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 02:25:26 AM »

The tank I am using is off a V7… It was cheap to buy because it had a couple of big dents, which I have managed to get out. To do this I had to cut a couple of holes in the bottom to give access with a 20mm bar with a dome on the end, which I then used to knock most of the dent out, just needing a skim of filler. I then welded some plates on the holes and leak tested them with dye penetrant.

I use this a lot, its great for checking for holes and cracks, they show up immediately. fortunately all was good in this case. I prefer doing it this way to filling it with petrol as if you do have a leak its a pain to clean it out again. I have taken to using the dye penetrant on frames before I have them blasted… its surprising how many have cracks! especially Ducati!

A while ago my mate welded an RGV 250 engine mounting on the alloy frame. When he had welded it, he used some dye penetrant around the joints on the frame to check for cracks… There were quite a few! he welded them up and re-checked. Here is a gearbox I recently welded that still had a leak after someone had already welded it, you could not see it with the naked eye, but its easily visible with the dye…

buzzer

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 07:47:32 AM »

With the new master cylinder mounted I looked at a way of mounting a reservoir. I could have used one of the small plastic ones, but instead decided to make one. I am pleased with the way it came out! here is a short video of how I made it!  Last update for a while...  I have to go on holiday apparently!

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2022, 08:49:31 AM »

WOW!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 12:20:07 PM »

WOW!

+1

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 01:03:20 PM »

+2. Gosh that's tidy.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2022, 01:07:22 PM »

Neat! waytogo

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2022, 08:20:08 AM »

Back from holiday where I unfortunaly got a dose of the virus!  Shocked  Not too bad though, I have had worse colds… But for a few day I have kept out the garage, and did some computer time instead and constructed the wiring diagram… I like to keep it simple, and wire from scratch, so many builds are spoiled by patching up the old loom. I am using an ignitech for the ECU, and its interesting that the the unit uses the cam sensor for one cylinder, and the crank sensor for the other. I like that idea!

buzzer

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 03:28:12 AM »

I have agonised over the rear light / number plate arrangement…

No matter how I plan it, it just does not look right with the number plate on the back, So I am going for a side mounted plate. that leaves the rear light to consider… the rear of the seat is angled (more later) so I needed an angled plinth to mount the light I am using on… here it is, bar a good polish.

A new addition to the workshop is a bandsaw...  How did I manage without one all these years!  I modified the top and bottom guides so they have bearing supports and it works an absolute treat!

buzzer

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 07:30:07 AM »

One thing I always like on a build is a light throttle… in these days of EFI its easy to forget just how heavy some carb throttles were, always a balance of lightness Vs a throttle spring strong enough to prevent sticking, As I am using flat slides on this build I really wanted to use a pull / pull throttle set up, which would either mean a pair of splitters, or a dual throttle. that way I can retain the light springs. Try as I might I couldn’t find a dual pull / pull one so I have ended up making one! If anyone knows of a company that makes them… DONT TELL ME! here is the story in pictures…

Mhanis

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2022, 07:38:48 AM »

Show off.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
buzzer

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2022, 02:30:10 AM »

the wheels are back from the vapour blasters… they have come out FAR better than I expected, and I quite like the finish, so I will be leaving them as they are. just a coat of ACF – 50 should keep them looking good. the spokes are stainless and have also come up well. First time in MANY years I have put my own tyres on! they are tubeless so went on very easily. just got to get them balanced.

buzzer

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2022, 06:01:00 AM »

seat next… I needed to bend the front to clear the tank bolt… So I made a former to press it into shape. I also made a tool so I could press some dimples where the rivinuts go, to raise the seat a little so the seat doesn’t sit directly on the frame rails…

Things don’t always go to plan… I decided to mount the rear light on the frame, and cover with a piece of alloy… which I did, but then realised that on full bump the tyre would hit the plate! I had designed the rear to cater for full bump, but promptly forgot! I realised I needed to mount the light on the seat base, but I hate wires showing… so I decided to make a conduit out of copper tube so the wires can be hidden under the seat cushion.

The seat is off to the trimmers today. I have not used this guy before… The girl I used for years to trim my seats left the company she worked for… the last guy I used was OK, but no where near her standard. So lets see what this new guy is like… Oh, and here she is in the daylight for the first time in a while…

buzzer

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2022, 09:30:00 AM »

no matter how I tried I couldn’t get the number plate to look right on the rear of the bike… so on this build its going on the side, which kind of fits with the look I want to achieve…

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: