Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 15, 2024, 08:35:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guzzi 1100 custom build  (Read 22059 times)
silas

2V

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2022, 02:24:03 PM »

Amazing work- thanks for sharing ! I remember your M900 re-build.

Ride fast, ride safe
'98 M900, '92 Yamaha TDM850
buzzer

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »

Its been a while... Grin  I tend to have the summer off from garage projects, holidays, days out, bike rides take over!  However I had a few spare days and thought I would make use of the warm days and paint the tank. It was badly damaged when I bought it, so I cut some holes in the underside and knocked the dents out. it takes an age to get it to shape, in fact as the metal had stretched, so I cut a 1mm slot in it, planished it, which closed the gap, and then welded the slot up! its nicely to shape, just the decals to put on now

Another little job was to redo the speedo… I want to keep this build as clean as I can and wanted a smaller speedo. I decided to use one of the cheap GPS modules which is just 55mm diameter. I made a new housing for it, and will finish the bracket off when I start the assembly. it been in the car for a week on test!

buzzer

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2022, 06:47:08 AM »

All finished...  I always have my heart in my mouth on that last coat of lacquer over the decals!

I know a lot of people struggle with paintwork, its not that hard if you follow a process, so I have written a guide on my blog if anyone is interested...

buzzer

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2022, 04:19:10 AM »

Out in the sunshine for the first time in a while… I am now happy with the look, and it now all needs to come apart for the frame to be tided up and painted silver (matches my other bikes!) I will be doing a mechanical rebuild at the same time.

Blackout

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 05:47:03 AM »

Friggin awesome work.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2022, 06:55:32 AM »

WOW!  bow down
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »

Carb work is easier for sure. The heads really look tough and "industrial" with the bike so slimmed down.waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2022, 05:11:59 AM »

Here is the speedo and warning lights finished, I am pleased with how this has come out, i wanted this to be as clean as I could… as with all electronic components I like to rubber mount them… so I have used some small grommets and spacers. The GPS speedo has a nice little feature which tells you which direction you are traveling in!

buzzer

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2022, 03:07:48 AM »

Autumn arrives… Bike rides become less frequent, and the holiday and days out season slows down, so its back in the garage! the bike is now in the stage where all the fabrication is done and it all needs taking apart and cleaning and painting. Engine removal was quite easy with the removable frame rails and it was all soon apart and the engine and gearbox on the bench. I finished off all the welding on the frame and removed all the unused lugs to get that clean look, and sent it off to the powder coaters.

I will be doing a full engine gearbox and drive unit rebuild, mainly to vapour blast the cases. This of course means making a few special tools! First off was an extra long 32mm socket. I cut down a standard one and extended it with some thick wall tube.

next was a tool to undo the 27mm nut on the gearbox output shaft. you need to hold the shaft as well as turn the but so it needs to accommodate this. I used one of the spare Ducati wheel nut spanners I had laser cut years ago and bored it to shape on my new milling machine. Picture of that to follow!

next up took some thought… I needed to hold the shaft while I undid the nut. It would have been Ideal to use an old UJ but I didn’t have one… But what I did have was an old drive shaft. Out of this I made a stepped broach in the the lathe and then hardened it. With this I was able to broach a set of splines in a block of 10mm alloy, cut to fit a large spanner. It worked a treat!

finally, I made a tool to remove the castellated nut on the input shaft from an old socket, and a tool to hold the clutch hub from an old clutch plate. I think that may be it as far as special tools go!

I have been debating replacing my milling machine for a long time… but I have had it for almost 45 years and its like an old friend! over the years it done a lot of work, but its a 1929 machine and has its limitations! When my wife asked me what I wanted for my Birthday it was an easy answer! The old machine has gone to a good home where I know it will be looked after and used…

buzzer

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2022, 12:16:31 AM »

I much prefer the look of the older round barrel engines...  so out came the angle grinder!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2022, 12:29:51 AM »

The old style heads look gorgeous. That Autosol glow.. drool

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2022, 12:33:14 AM »

The old style heads look gorgeous. That Autosol glow.. drool

It took a bit more than Autosol to polish this lot below!  I was at it 9 hours solid!

Time to overhall the hydraulics… just waiting for some new bolts to assemble the callipers. everything was in surprisingly good condition, just a strip and rebuild needed. Then onto the job I hate most… Polishing! I have a 2 HP 3000 RPM motor I use for this. Its a long, filthy and somewhat dangerous job. I try to do it all in one day as you get filthy, and its the sort of dirt that won’t wash off with hand soap, so I have to use washing up liquid!

I have also rebuilt the forks and put in new seals and dust covers, and some fresh oil. they are very simple forks, no where near the sophistication of the Ducati ones I normally do!

buzzer

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2022, 02:30:25 AM »

I have read on a few forums that over the miles the preload on the pinion bearings gets loose, and sure enough it spun Just a little too free. So I removed a thin shim and re-torqued it up after inspecting the bearings which were like new. I couldn’t use a torque wrench so I used a balance on a long spanner and calculated the pull needed for the correct torque.

diamonddog-2

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2022, 01:40:22 PM »

I wish I could do a 1/10th what what you're capable of doing.     applause   bow down

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
buzzer

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »

I wish I could do a 1/10th what what you're capable of doing.     applause   bow down

you are making me blush  waytogo

I am amazed at how little wear there is on the engine and gearbox components. there is no disenable wear on the crank or bores, pretty good for 30k miles! I cleaned out the sludge trap in the crank but it was clean, glad I did it though as the bung was far too lose for comfort! it has a dab of retaining compound on it now. the only wear I have found so far is a roller bearing in the rear drive, and as you can see there is pitting on the inner race. this will be replaced.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: