Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:04:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guzzi 1100 custom build  (Read 21670 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2022, 01:10:33 PM »

You have earned the right to adjust the factory's mistakes - no worries waytogo

Factory Fan Boys without mileage or tools don't impress me much. I understand them, but that's it.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
buzzer

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2022, 05:55:02 AM »

Two jobs today...  first was to make a paddock stand.  I hate the universal ones as they are very difficult to get a bike on one on your own..., and often not that secure.  this one positively locks onto the wheel spindle, and when its on the lift I can clamp it to the top so its nice and secure.

The second was to make some bushes out of bronze to take the play put of the clutch lever as the hole had worn oval.  I drilled it out and made some over size top hat bushes.  Finally, here it is on its wheels!

buzzer

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2022, 02:23:52 AM »

I pondered for a long time on the throttle arrangement for this bike… I wanted to keep the pull to open, pull to close for a couple of reasons… First, its safer… manufactures didn’t go to this arrangement for no reason as bikes evolved. Second, it means you can have much lighter return springs, which in turn males the throttle much lighter, particularly if you are going for a quick action. . A light fast action action throttle feels like you have 20 BHP more!

I couldn’t find a 4 cable throttle anywhere, so I ended up making one from scratch…

buzzer

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2022, 05:21:03 AM »

I needed to make some brackets out of alloy tube, but of you squash the ends in the vice it looks crap… so I made this little die that profiles the ends round which also make them stronger.

buzzer

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2022, 01:10:14 AM »

I made a speedo housing earlier in the build, but I was not happy with the result, so I tried again...  this one is better...

turning the dome took some doing! I have rubber mounted it as I always feel electronics need it…

buzzer

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2022, 06:01:19 AM »

I wanted to add some custom detail onto the bike, in particular on the valve covers... So I tried the technique of etching alloy...  have to say it worked rather well!  Oh, and although those indicators are small, they are amazingly bright!

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2022, 06:34:25 AM »

just keeps getting better bow down
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2022, 06:36:51 AM »

just keeps getting better bow down
Even better would be some color besides orange.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

buzzer

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »

Even better would be some color besides orange.

its not going to happen  laughingdp laughingdp already have the paint for the next Ducati build!

Onto for me what is the most enjoyable part of a build...  the wiring.  I have a process for this I stick to.  First I draw out the wiring diagram in Microsoft Visio, and colour code the wires. Then I order the wire in, which is quite cheap and any connectors I need.  So often the standard of the electrics is what make a bike trouble free in the future.  I then build the loom actually on the bike, circuit by circuit, wire by wire, which I hold temporarily in place with some Velcro cable ties.  When its all in place I use that braided sheathing and close the ends with heat shrink tubing.  it make a neat job.  Rather than connect the main battery leads up, I use a fly lead with a 10 amp fuse just in case I make a mistake.  I crimp, and if needed solder every joint.  I have rubber mounted the coils and put them on an alloy heat sink.  I also like to make my own HT leads out of solid copper lead, so I can get them to fit perfectly...

I have also used up the last of the Tygon fuel tube I had in stock...  Its 8mm ID and I am unable to source any more without buying a large quantity, which is really annoying.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »

its not going to happen  laughingdp laughingdp already have the paint for the next Ducati build!

<snip>
That's unfortunate.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

buzzer

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2022, 02:48:44 AM »

Here is the finished wiring… and the final diagram of which I am always happy to share a full size version. I like to use the braided sheathing rather than the hard PVC stuff of old. I see that many cars and bikes now use it. Its a bit fiddly but if you touch the end on the soldering iron after you cut it, it stops it fraying. Another nice advantage is if you need to pull one or two wires out, you can do by just parting the strands.

buzzer

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2022, 01:35:33 AM »

the footrests/and levers are now finished… I pondered how to do the brake light switch and then came upon this neat hydraulic one which bolts onto the union…

buzzer

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2022, 06:25:52 AM »

here it is finished...  just waiting on a small part to get it running, which is very frustrating!

Blackout

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2022, 02:10:02 PM »

She's beautiful and your work is amazing. What part do you still need?

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
buzzer

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2022, 03:23:10 AM »

She's beautiful and your work is amazing. What part do you still need?

some carb needles and a couple of "O" rings...  Royal Mail strike is not helping... 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: