Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 09:31:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Net Filter Leak  (Read 2397 times)
aliasrae

« on: February 16, 2022, 07:07:18 PM »

I have a 2000 Ducati Monster 900 dark ie and last May or June I dropped it off at a cycle shop because I needed new front fork seals. I asked them to check all the fluids and change the oil as well. I had also asked them about detailing the bike because I had ridden it from Iowa to Washington then moved to California with just a motorcycle for transportation….so I had put a lot of miles on it. They handed me a business card of someone they knew who did detail work and I left. When I returned to pick up the bike they had sprayed it down with a power washer and made it look real pretty but the Oil Net Filter, Oil Pressure Switch, and clutch cover were leaking…which ultimately caused me to lay the bike down late October when I was taking it to storage.
(Not sure if it was the power washer that caused the leaks but as a former refinery operator…one of the things we avoided was using any air pressure or water pressure to spray down machinery because of the damage it could cause.)
So instead of taking it to storage I dropped it off to them and told them they needed to fix all the leaks they caused. They replaced the clutch cover and oil pressure switch but after having it for 4 months were unable to stop the leak from the oil net filter. Part# 066049800 from Cross Country Cycle.
It appears they purchased a Monster SS part because they no longer make 2000 parts, most 2001 parts are interchangeable but after doing some research they modified that specific part on the 2001 and the SS appears to at least look the same. The old oil net filter is currently in it. It’s rideable but I’d like to figure it out.
It currently has the aluminum crush washer but a friend suggested using a felt washer or copper crush washer. If I tighten it anymore something will crack and I tried liquid gasket but it just floated around in the little reservoir thingy. The dude that worked on it thought that perhaps it had been cross threaded at one point but I can’t see any evidence of anything being wrong with it and I guess I’m just not sure why they removed it in the first place. He said the manual says to remove it during the oil change but nobody has even heard of the damn thing and I’ve never seen it removed in any tutorials.
Anyway…appreciate any suggestions or experience with this issue.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 03:43:45 AM »

When you say Oil Net Filter, are you referring to the sump screen?

If so, replace the crush washer, torque it to the correct value, 38-46 Nm, and it should stop leaking. Otherwise what is an Oil Net Filter?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

greenmonster

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 05:50:09 AM »

Could it be a hairline crack in the casing from overtighten it?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »

Could it be a hairline crack in the casing from overtighten it?
Possible, but it wasn't leaking before the power washing, and that alone wouldn't crack the case.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 10:40:41 AM »

Actually the screen should be cleaned every other schedule oil change and good shops will.  Two reasons for that.  One is, though improbable, over time it could clog.  The other is you might spot metal that could give an early warning to a possible engine failure, those of us who have been around for a while will remember looking for shards of aluminum that looked like finger nail clippings.  Not a problem on your 2000.

Back to your problem.First do what duckpainter said.  Then clean the area real well and inspect.  Still leaking?  Clean the area again and spray with athlete's foot powder.  Still cant find it?  Ultra violet dye in the oil and a UV light.You should get an oil line.  Yeah, the power washer wouldn't cause a crack, but the shop who did the work might have.  I guess the leak could have existed before, but wasn't visible with the dirt there if it is a small leak.  I looked up the part they purchased.  It is the correct one for your bike.

2000 is a good year for the 900 Monster.  Hope all works out for you.  Post up where you live and maybe we could suggest a good shop.

aliasrae

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 10:19:39 PM »

I’ve already tried several times what’s been suggested so a friend is making me a copper crush washer and we’re gonna try liquid gasket on both sides of the washer.
I’m currently in Groveland but will be in El Portal late March and Tuolumne Meadows June-November.
Thank you all for your input. 🙏
greenmonster

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 05:47:21 AM »

.Yeah, the power washer wouldn't cause a crack, but the shop who did the work might have.

Yup, that's what l meant, have you checked for this?
Gasket and/or sealer won't help if this is the issue.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 08:07:11 AM »

so a friend is making me a copper crush washer and we’re gonna try liquid gasket on both sides of the washer.

I would likely just try the copper washer dry, first.  Assuming something else isn't buggering up the fitment of the bolt, that should work without sealant/gasket material.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Heath

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 01:32:12 PM »

I’ve already tried several times what’s been suggested so a friend is making me a copper crush washer and we’re gonna try liquid gasket on both sides of the washer.
I’m currently in Groveland but will be in El Portal late March and Tuolumne Meadows June-November.
Thank you all for your input. 🙏

I know Modesto isn't super close but I don't know that part of California or how far you want to go. Don Babb out of Modesto used to be THE Ducati guy in that area. He owned Modesto Ducati before it closed. There is a new Modesto Ducati but it is owned by someone else. Might want to reach out and see if they can do work or suggest someone.
I know some mechanics in Nor Cal but again, not sure how far you want to go.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: