Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ducati Owner  (Read 2030 times)
gymply

« on: February 20, 2022, 07:39:16 PM »

Howdy All,

Gymply here (pronounced /gimp-lee/).  Long time rider but first time Duc owner.  Picked up a leftover new 2020 Monster 1200S back in August.  Really enjoying it so far!  Got the Termis and ECU flash installed at the dealer and I've added a Corbin seat and Rizoma pegs to make it more comfy.  This bike is a blast to ride and I'm looking forward to putting a lot of miles on her.  Two issues so far:  1.) fuel gauge quit working in the first 300 miles and 2.) rear tire was toast at 2,000 miles.  I think my tire budget will be going up with this beast!   waytogo

I'm in Texas about 50 miles southwest of DFW.  Currently have two KTM's and three Harley's.  Everything is roadworthy with the exception of my old '75 Shovelhead I picked up last year.  Bought it from a friend and it had been hibernating for about a decade.  She's running now but still got a ways to go before she's ready for the highway.  Buying the Monster has put the Shovel on the back-burner...   Cheers!!  chug   

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 12:37:59 AM »

Welcome  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 09:20:59 AM »

Welcome aboard  waytogo

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:51:26 AM »

Welcome chug.

Sounds like you'll need a sport touring rear tyre for the Monster. What tyre was on it?

2015 Scrambler 800
gymply

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »

Welcome chug.

Sounds like you'll need a sport touring rear tyre for the Monster. What tyre was on it?

Stock tire was a Pirelli Diablo Rosso III.  I replaced it with another one as the front tire has plenty of life left.  When I replace the set, I'm going to try the Pirelli Angel GT II and see how long that lasts.  I don't mind giving up a little grip to get more tire life, but I do ride aggressively so I hope to find a good middle ground tire.  If I can get 4-5K out of a rear I would be extremely happy!!     
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »

I've often run a sport touring rear and sport compound front for the same reason. Maybe Angel rear and Rosso IV front or a Michelin Road 5 rear and Power 5 front? If you have a good tyre guy you trust, its worth asking about some compatible combinations.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:19:52 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 10:30:20 AM »

I had a 72 Shovel back in the day. An FX with a panhead front end, star hub laced to a 19" rim with custom Lockheed caliper, 5 gal tanks. It had an 80 cu " evo crank with 74 barrels, Crane cam, Accel ignition parts and I modified a Keihin butterfly carb to create a poor man's S&S. Started with a single kick every time.

2015 Scrambler 800
gymply

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 12:03:42 PM »

I had a 72 Shovel back in the day. An FX with a panhead front end, star hub laced to a 19" rim with custom Lockheed caliper, 5 gal tanks. It had an 80 cu " evo crank with 74 barrels, Crane cam, Accel ignition parts and I modified a Keihin butterfly carb to create a poor man's S&S. Started with a single kick every time.

Mine is an FXE witrh a springer front end and, per the previous owner, supposed to be stroked out to 86 CI.  It was in a low side crash before I got it so the forward controls are FUBARed, but the engine runs great.  He obviously drained the float bowl before he put it in storage.  S&S Shorty E carb and when I disassembled it, it was clean.  Put it back on and fired her up.  I did have to sort a bit of wiring that somebody started to "clean up" and left half of it disconnected.  Still needs brakes, gas tank, and several other items to be roadworthy.  Gonna be a fun project if I can ever find the time...    

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 12:05:40 PM by gymply » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 02:14:39 PM »

Just get used to the tire wear.

Two rears to a front...it's the way it is. That said, I usually get 3K from a rear, albeit on a 900. You must have a very aggressive right wrist.  Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: