Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 12:01:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWII Gothic line battles and local resistance museum  (Read 596 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: July 31, 2022, 01:57:39 AM »

This is in Castel del Rio, Apennine mountain chain - stretching from north west (Alps), flowing south of Po, turning south towards Rome and onwards. Including an ice glacier an hour drive from Rome (which is hot climate). Couple of thousand large wolf population. Who knew...

You might remember my old friend at the gas station. He has hand washed our bikes every year. Lovely old couple making a sort of living from the gas station. Probably also from restoring/trading a big collection of old bikes and mopeds. This year - no more - in our usual sign language, italian body language and the few words I've learned he told me that the pressure washer can't do the work anymore and neither can he.

I've been in this town nine times, but never got around to visit the museum. This day was special. Local young man was stabbed to death the night before. Museum closed. Ok. Nicely dressed gentleman on the sidewalk outside asked if we wanted to see the museum. Yes, please, we replied. No problem, I'm the Mayor. Have the keys. Come on in.

I haven't much to tell about the photos, but the Gothic line is highlighted - first a bit south of this town and then a bit north. It took TIME to liberate Europe. The first two days of pushing up the Giogo pass - the US (and others?) convoy lost 3,000 men. Easy pickings for the well dug in German artillery. Ended with a troop of foot soldiers taking the hill at night.

Another thing I noticed was how rough and NON-precision everything looks. The display of guns is probably quite ordinary, but I was surprised of how small they are. The ones in the front are no larger than 4 inches.

German infirmary

The last climb to take the mountain pass

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 03:37:45 AM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 04:42:37 AM »

Thank you for sharing.

2015 Scrambler 800
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 06:56:29 AM »

Cool stuff.

Of particular interest to me is the old Puch. Note the similarities between it and my '66 Sears/Puch SR250, which itself dates back to 1953. I wonder how much of the engine/trans corresponds to that of the WWII counterpart.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: