Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:52:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Side Stand Safety Switch & Allen Bolt & Turkey  (Read 3519 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« on: October 12, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »

(skip to 3ird para for tec summary, for long story - short, also there's a fair amount of info on side stand issues, posted as there's further details)

Sooo lets start with Turkey, took the not so trusty s2r 1k 07 out for a long weekend thanksgiving trip (10Oct22 Can.) from the lower mainland to Van Island & one of the Gulf Islands, BC, Can. Consists of 2 very busy ferries, long lineups, and amazing hot dry weather. On a moto we get to load and unload at the front of the line, get to swap moto stories and check out other bikes as you wait in line, one guy customizing rebuilding harlies, nother did a trip cross island to Gold River on KTM, nother told me of a newly paved section on Highway 17 connecting cross island to Pt Renfrew, that used to be a rough gravel logging road when I was consulting on the Juan De Fuca Trail, etc, fun stories, some amazing paved corners, that what its all about.

On the way home was early to the main ferry lineup, so first in line leading motos; capacity of 358 autos, ferry has capacity for 2,100 passengers ... all went well ... fun feeling like I was biker leader on and off ferry, raced with the KTM dude off the ferry and onto Can Highway #1 into the dark cool evening at 8:30 pm in and out of costal foggy mountain corners Evil.... arrived home in record time, parked bike in front of house to unload saddle bags, open house windows to air out the days heat and out to unlock the lane garage fumbling around in the dark... back to the bike parked backwards on street, front wheel facing curb pointed downhill, neighbours (canadian sp, lol) still finishing festivities, so decided to be quite for as long as possible ... pushed and pulled the bike around on the hill in a 10 point turn, whishing I hadn't parked backwards, now sweating with the heat of the bike under ....

1k starts fine, wipe sweat off side of face, put helmet on, drop into gear as normal, and pu pu pu plllaaaa, ? what? again starts, drop into gear as normal, and pu pu pu plllaaaa? ...?...wtf? ...again... WTF? aaaaaagain F**K! .... ok park bike on curb, lock handlebars and go inside, now really sweating, beer ... ah nice; ... think, ok go to dmf, quick search ... ah right! side stand switch! Ill check in morning, time for another beer ... sleep...

Morning, find the side stand switch, looks like a beaver knawed all the bottom plastic off, stainless washer exposed, three wires exposed, frayed and one completely off ... ( omg! imagine if the wires broke at the front of the ferry line ...lol! look to sky, and thank my lucky stars.) Also do not remember scraping, bumping anything, or road debris ... lucky, have an 800 in garage, switch is in perfect condition; also, find the large kickstand stainless Alen bolt missing!? Also, other posts talk about jumping at the plug to bypass the switch with a 2 wire plug, 2 would be simple, this plug has 3 wires ...

Sooo which ones to jump? (one ground black, right? what are the other colours and where do the connect and what wires could I connect at switch or plug to jumper bypass?

Couple of more questions / comments; on parts diagram, shows 1 stainless is it M10x25mm? allen bolt and a bushing? (Turns out to be a 10.5x16x1.8mm thick washer) through bolted at front of side stand hinge, to side of case? Other is through bolted at foot peg connection (or is it swing arm can't remember now)., Bushing is a metal washer? ... Ordered an oem used side stand safety switch from flee bay, lots of overly priced oem stuff, now one reasonably priced bid coming from SC in a couple of weeks.  Grin
 Dolph
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 01:37:21 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »

I don't know if I'm much help, but my big allen bolt vibrated out of my 796.  I wondered why the bike was leaning sooooooooo far over on it's sidestand... until I went and investigated.

According to my manual, it's an M10x25, which is probably what I went and bought.  I threadlocked it... it's never coming out... evarrrrr.

It's obvious there are 2 bolts holding the kickstand... or mine would have fallen slap over on it's side.  It looks like there is a frame bolt that holds it as well... but the primary kickstand bolt is the M10x25. 

Don't know nothing about the plug.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
DuciD03

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »

I don't know if I'm much help, but my big allen bolt vibrated out of my 796.  I wondered why the bike was leaning sooooooooo far over on it's sidestand... until I went and investigated.

According to my manual, it's an M10x25, which is probably what I went and bought.  I threadlocked it... it's never coming out... evarrrrr.

It's obvious there are 2 bolts holding the kickstand... or mine would have fallen slap over on it's side.  It looks like there is a frame bolt that holds it as well... but the primary kickstand bolt is the M10x25. 

Don't know nothing about the plug.

Thanks for your thoughts, bought the Allen bolt the other day from the dealership, yep said m10x25; but when I got back it was a 8mm allen that fit, had pre applied red thread locker. Surprised they could vibrate out but there is a lot of vibration there. My guess is the bolt was never snugged home when assembled / repaired. Ill add some extra blue Lock tight before installing.

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 06:06:53 AM »

A steel bolt into an aluminum thread... I'm not surprised it didn't work loose.  I am surprised it wasn't threadlocked from the factory, however.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

DuciD03

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 06:34:42 PM »

A steel bolt into an aluminum thread... I'm not surprised it didn't work loose.  I am surprised it wasn't threadlocked from the factory, however.

ya yer right ...  waytogo

Know anything about the 3 wire jump procedure ... that I never attempted? I did see posts but didn't absorb the info ... I can fix wiring but not my forte

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 05:47:11 AM »

Jump the gray wire and the black wire on the bike side of the connector.

If you want the bile to start in neutral only, run a wire with a diode in it from the gray wire back to the yellow green wire from the neutral safety switch.  Back in the day they used to sell plug and play harness.   
DuciD03

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 09:22:31 PM »

Jump the gray wire and the black wire on the bike side of the connector.

If you want the bile to start in neutral only, run a wire with a diode in it from the gray wire back to the yellow green wire from the neutral safety switch.  Back in the day they used to sell plug and play harness.   

awesome, thanks Howie waytogo; nice to chat again; grey to black jumper on bike plug, hopefully that's useful to others too one day

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 03:33:17 AM »

A paper clip got me out of trouble once.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:09:22 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
DuciD03

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 07:16:21 PM »

thought of you Sunday as I dabbed blue lock tight on factory red lock tight already on bolt with a small dab of red ... Grin

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 07:10:48 PM »

Well... at least you still had your bolt!

I did use blue when I put the new bolt on... and I wasn't shy with it.  I will probably be sorry one day when I have to remove it.   Grin

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

DuciD03

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 09:37:56 PM »

Well... at least you still had your bolt!

I did use blue when I put the new bolt on... and I wasn't shy with it.  I will probably be sorry one day when I have to remove it.   Grin

no...oo~op! bolt was missing too, you'll have to find that in the original first post, so with ya; unfortunately, but you didn't get the triple joy of having the kick stand wires frayed and bike dying when in put into gear in the dark on a hot night, nonoperational. new one form the dealer was a buck-89; also, on the s2r 1K there's an extra special thrust washer that they didn't have too; might still be in there Ill have to check when I install new switch,

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:40:19 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

DuciD03

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 08:41:49 PM »

New used side stand safety switch arrived, came from an 821, wiring looks short at 32cm (12-1/2") from tip of plug to where the wires go into switch, s2r 1K  / 800 look longer; can anyone access one so I can compare measurements? Ducs are stored away in the dark. Guess I'll splice the wires to the old one to make it longer. Dam ... Tongue
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:30:43 AM by DuciD03 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: