Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 1000 DS build  (Read 18542 times)
Blackout

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2023, 04:50:18 AM »

Another masterpiece. waytogo

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2023, 05:08:17 AM »

Ummm...WOW!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2023, 05:22:19 AM »

This will be the last full bike build for a while.

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp coffee

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
buzzer

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2023, 10:30:11 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp coffee

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp
buzzer

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2023, 01:03:33 AM »

I gave the garage a good clean out the other day, which meant getting all the bikes on the drive...  I thought it worthy of a picture.

I also did 80 miles on the new build, it ran very nice from the off...  I did however stop a couple of times to tweak the air screw on the carbs.  Its such a fun bike to ride!  I also took the Guzzi out for a 20 mile ride...  here's to a warm dry summer!

Here are some of the builds I have done over the years, yes there is an orange and silver theme, its what I like, and with all my builds, I build them for me!  I have done restorations in the past rather than custom builds and have kept these in original or period colours... 

One of my big regrets is not taking photos...   I have very few film photoes from the pre digital age which is a shame.

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2023, 02:57:25 AM »

Great work all around!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
buzzer

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2023, 01:07:17 AM »

well this and the Guzzi build comes to an end (that's if custom builds ever do!)

Have to say I am loving both bikes, they are very different to ride!  The Duke is so light and nimble at 168kg wet, with the Guzzi at 200kg

This will be my last build for 18 months...  I normally build a bike over winter, and ride all summer, so that's the plan this year...  then in September I will start work on the house... Happy wife, happy life! 

Hopefully I can start another build September 2024, so plenty of time to look around for anything that takes my fancy

for now here is a video that covers the build...

greenmonster

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2023, 03:03:01 AM »

And now you're a professional moviemaker as well. waytogo

How`s the Guzzi running, any dips in power band, your exhaust works ok ?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2023, 10:51:25 AM »

And now you're a professional moviemaker as well. waytogo

How`s the Guzzi running, any dips in power band, your exhaust works ok ?

I am truly amazed how you can put a video like that together in a short time on you Iphone  Grin

The Guzzi is running great!  its very different to the Ducati...  it has a wall of torque and pulls like a train, no need for 5 gears, 3 would do!  I need to sort a few things...  its rather harsh on the rear, needs softer springs, and I got the gear lever ratio wrong and have had to fix that.

I am happy with how it runs, so much so I took a look at the jetting on the Ducati's and have made some good improvements there.  more of that later  waytogo
buzzer

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2023, 03:53:55 AM »

June, the weather has been great and I really am enjoying this bike and putting a few miles on it! however, every time I looked at the under slung exhaust I felt it didn’t suit the bike…  I know a lot of people liked it (some didnt...)  but for me it was wrong.  it was the long straight front pipe… So out came the welder and I made a new one! here it is!

this feels like a hooligan of a bike   The combination of the light weight, the torque delivery, the riding position, and the handling all bring out the hooligan

I have had the wheel come up a few times       

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 04:12:22 AM by buzzer » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2023, 10:09:33 AM »

I like it better than the box  waytogo

... should the can be in line with the seat, rather than the seat support tube?

buzzer

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2023, 12:18:03 AM »

I like it better than the box  waytogo

... should the can be in line with the seat, rather than the seat support tube?

that's an interesting question...  for me it was no, I did mock it up that way but it sort of looked" stuck there"  Hence where it is now.  I also tried a megaphone on there, but the angle of that didn't look right either!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2023, 11:32:38 AM »

that's an interesting question...  for me it was no, I did mock it up that way but it sort of looked" stuck there"  Hence where it is now.  I also tried a megaphone on there, but the angle of that didn't look right either!

Hmm.. what about a little lower then? What I think 'bothers' me is that the end cap is too close to the seat, visually.

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2023, 03:13:13 AM »

Hmm.. what about a little lower then? What I think 'bothers' me is that the end cap is too close to the seat, visually.

I'm with you now that you made me see it. Maybe split the distance between the rear hugger and the seat support tube?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
buzzer

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2023, 09:27:42 AM »

They say a custom build is never really finished… that’s a true statement! while the four cable throttle worked really well… it was just a little too slow for my liking, taking just more than a fist full from closed to open. Also, after buying a clutch cable from Venhill for the Guzzi and being impressed with how much lighter it made the clutch, I decided to buy some of their teflon lined conduit, and some of their flexible wire rope as opposed to cable. That has made a significant difference to the feel of the throttle, especially as I extended the liner into the adjusters and throttle housing. I also incorporated a positive stop for fully open on the throttle, save straining the cables. I always enjoy silver soldering and watching the solder flow into the gaps to make a seamless joint! I did have to buy some more sticks of solder as I was getting low… £10 a stick now! it used to be £1 last time I bought some!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: