Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:26:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 1000 DS build  (Read 18512 times)
greenmonster

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2023, 06:36:22 AM »

.Who knows if this will kill any performance?

This Forum knows, do a search.
May look slim but looses power.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 02:05:07 AM »

Interesting.... hopefully this design will work better than the Ex-box... people complain about the tuning difficulties and performance and sound.

I hope you can make a video, side by side, one with two large (carbon) cans and this new bike  Cool

that's right..  the bike came with an EX box system, it sounded terrible, and was extreamly heavy...  I don't know about performance

Apart from a polish the exhaust is welded up and finished. I didn’t want to have distortion and burn through when attaching the baffles, so for these I used TIG braze which worked quite well.

The slip joints are held together with springs and to hold these I needed to make some spring hoops. These are actual quite difficult to make to get the bend just right and to a consistent shape. I made a little jig to make these.

diamonddog-2

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »

So freaking interesting. Thank you for sharing.  More please!

popcorn

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
buzzer

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 04:17:16 AM »

So freaking interesting. Thank you for sharing.  More please!

popcorn

There will be more, but this is my last post for a while, no bike related stuff for a month while we get some sun!

here is everything to go to be powder coated. The swinging arm will be just blasted though as I will be polishing that. In some ways it was a shame to strip the wheels as they were perfect, but black, and I want silver. The powder coater insists they are stripped of the powder coat before I send them, as its so difficult for him to blast it off… in the past I have used industrial paint stripper but its expensive, and a terrible job to do. This time I took them to a local car wheel refurbishes and they put then in their stripping tank for a couple of hours.. they came out fantastic, the pain literally fell of! I left the disks on and they came out without any paint on as well. I will be taking my engine cases in next!

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 04:41:32 AM »

There will be more, but this is my last post for a while, no bike related stuff for a month while we get some sun!

I dare you  Cool

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
buzzer

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 08:26:29 AM »

I dare you  Cool

she has told me I had better not even think about bikes while we are away  laughingdp
buzzer

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2023, 03:07:10 AM »

back from holiday, and the first job was a frame repair on a Triumph...  I don't do work for other people these days, but one of my best mates asked me if I could repair this Triumph frame for him.  How the hell do people think using rebar and welding like that is acceptable? 

all done now though and once its powder coated it will be like new.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 04:26:33 AM »

You weren't quiet for a month, but well done anyway  Grin

... and the frame is well done as well, I'm sure waytogo

buzzer

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 10:18:38 AM »

You weren't quiet for a month, but well done anyway  Grin

... and the frame is well done as well, I'm sure waytogo

yes, we were away 2 weeks...  then back a month before we go again... I said I wouldnt have ang garage time and work on the kitchen in that month...  but then she couldn't decided on what she wanted... so here I am back in the garage until we go away again  Grin Grin

Started the engine build… these are simple engines to build, just a couple of points to remember… There is one special bolt in the crankcase that has an oil feed hole in it. Its also much easier to pop the piston into the bore, and then put the pin in, the rings are very fragile (and expensive!) make sure you have some rag in holes though, those pin circlips have a life of their own! in one of the pictures you can see a plate which holds the flywheel… this is necessary as the alternator nut and crank nut are VERY tight and need torqueing to 190 NM.

I would like to thank the local council for the steel to make the engine stand. Leaving a large sign in the hedge at the side of the road for 2 years, I felt I had to re-cycle it 🙂

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 11:32:24 AM »

Vite rosso  Cool

buzzer

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »

Waiting for a few engine parts so I switched onto the hydraulics. Not sure which front callipers to use yet, so I built both sets. Everything was in great condition so I didn’t change the seals as they were all good.

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 01:54:37 PM »

can I come and be your apprentice?

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
greenmonster

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2023, 03:50:58 AM »

Quite common mod to switch to 4pads.
I thought standard was ok but the 4pads I have now (w Brembo radial master Cool) its really good.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2023, 01:48:16 PM »

Quite common mod to switch to 4pads.
I thought standard was ok but the 4pads I have now (w Brembo radial master Cool) its really good.
I have the 4 pad calipers on my track bike with the old pee cup masters, and they're better than really good.

I love Tony's skill as a builder/fabricator. Too bad he's chromatically challenged. The orange masks all the good work because they all look the same at first view, and I look no further. Maybe that's a personality defect on my part. It's OK because my opinion doesn't matter, however, it's the only one I have. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

buzzer

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 02:05:40 AM »

can I come and be your apprentice?

the fact I don't have an apprentice or anyone to pass my skills onto is one reason I document builds... at least it passes some of it on.  I have a son, but he is quite arty and not into what I do.  We also have a couple of granddaughters...  I am working on the youngest, but its not working just yet!

I have the 4 pad calipers on my track bike with the old pee cup masters, and they're better than really good.

I love Tony's skill as a builder/fabricator. Too bad he's chromatically challenged. The orange masks all the good work because they all look the same at first view, and I look no further. Maybe that's a personality defect on my part. It's OK because my opinion doesn't matter, however, it's the only one I have. Grin

I know, I know  Grin Grin  I just happen to like that look  laughingdp  I also decided after the Guzzi build I wouldnt  do another Duke for a while, then this one came along at a price I simply couldn't resist.  Next build will probably be a big capacity single, I am on the lookout for something.  it must have an electric start though.  I am conscious that my age means the I now struggle with heavy bikes, in fact I have just sold my Harley V-ROD for that very reason...  I was sad to see it go, it kind of closed a chapter on my life ...

I wanted the belts and pulleys to be on show, but I am not keen on open belts… all it takes is one stone! I have made these before out of the original covers. Start by cutting holes with a hole saw, and then cut the oval out. for this I use a saw in the dremel but a saw is OK. Then I marked the profile on some 3mm polycarbonate and cut that to shape. With that in the cut out, I drilled some 3mm holes half in the cover half in the poly. the windows are held in with some 3mm flanged bolts, washers and nylock nuts. I did ad a dab of high strength nutlock and some small neoprene washers as well.

I then hydrodipped them. I know that fake carbon is not everyone’s thing but I like it, and when covered with a lacquer its VERY durable and UV stable, unlike the real stuff! The actual process is easy, and the film and activator is cheap.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: