Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:43:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 1000 DS build  (Read 18495 times)
diamonddog-2

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2023, 07:46:35 AM »

The hydrodipping video clip was really interesting. Thank you for posting all the things you do.

applause

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2023, 11:37:48 AM »

Is hydrodipping that easy or are you so good you make it look easy?
buzzer

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2023, 02:42:04 AM »

Is hydrodipping that easy or are you so good you make it look easy?

with a few tips its easy... 

you need a base coat, silver or gold works well with carbon

wet your fingers, pinch the film, the finger that sticks, that's the side that goes on the water.

water needs to be around 30 degrees

leave 1" around the film so it can expand in the tub

spray 12" away...

think about the dip angle, for air pockets and coverage don't go to fast

if you screw up, wipe it off with panel wipe and do it again

once dipped leave 5 mins and was the item under the tap.  keep going until all the slimy film goes, about 5 mins, gently touch the surface to see its all gone (important bit!)

let it dry a day, cover with a lacquer.  2K is best, and also now comes in aerosol

buzzer

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2023, 03:00:10 AM »

Polishing day… I did the engine cases a few weeks ago. I then set a side a full day to polish the rest of the alloy… its a dirty, hard, and somewhat dangerous job! the swinging arm took ages! I used to do it in the workshop, but it made such a mess I now do it on the drive. I have a 2.5 HP 3000 RPM motor that I use that is an absolute beast and takes no prisoners if you get it wrong.

Its mentally draining to do actually, thinking about the angle you present the item to the wheel each time. I sand everything with 400 Mirka Abranet first (if you have not come across that product its a game changer, you will never use wet and dry again!) I use an 8"  closed stitched mop and medium compound, followed by a loose mop with fine compound. I use some very fine compound on the stainless.

That evening I had a bath as I was so filthy. I actually used fairy liquid to clean me off as ordinary soap doesn’t touch it. Next day I absolutely ached all over!

buzzer

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2023, 09:00:48 AM »

the engine parts I had been waiting for came, and I finished off the belt covers.  I also made the housing for the hall effect triggers, the most accurate bit of machining I have done in years as I needed to locate the sensors exactly 135 degrees apart.  I will post some pictures later on that.  But for now here is the engine!

buzzer

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2023, 06:05:41 AM »

A nice part of the build is when you start to pull it all together. All that preparation of parts for months before all comes together quite quickly.  Grin

buzzer

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2023, 07:51:05 AM »

One of the things that was missing on the bike when I bought it was a gear lever. No problem I though… until I saw the price! so I decided to make one, and while I was on, make it slightly longer to suit my big feet. I took the one off my other bike as a pattern. I milled it out of a solid piece of alloy plate, and then hand filed it all to shape, and gave it a polish, I was quite pleased with the result!

buzzer

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2023, 09:42:14 AM »

out in the daylight for the first time in a while  Grin

buzzer

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2023, 02:07:09 AM »

One of the things I wanted on this build was a clean looking rear end.  I struggled to find a rear light that was suitable, so in the end I have fitted three 10mm superbrite LED’s as a rear light, and used a resister and diode so its bright and then brighter to act as a stop light.

buzzer

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2023, 05:30:19 AM »

I have made a few similar Hall Effect ignition pickups in the past and they have worked brilliantly. This is a refinement on those.  This time I have used an alloy cam wheel and put the magnets directly into that, rather than use a separate wheel.  the magnets are 3mm as opposed to the 4mm ones I have used in the past, lets hope they are OK!  I also swapped out the allen bolts for some none magnetic A4 ones just in case it picked those up.

Previously I have had a small discrepancy in the timing cylinder to cylinder, which is OK as I can compensate for that in the Ignitech software...  But it irritated me that I had to do that!  I put it down to my rotary table that is not the best and only measures degrees and its difficult to get the holes for the sensors precisely 135 degrees apart.  This this time I borrowed a mates table that is very accurate and can measure to minutes. It was a pleasure to use such a wonderful piece of quality kit!  Making the pickup plate took some time, probably the most accurate work I have done in a while!

I am not sure i needed the heat sink, but it looked aesthetically pleasing so I used it.

buzzer

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2023, 07:59:23 AM »

I finished the throttle off...  I had to make the adjusters as they needed to be a custom size.  I also used cycle gear cable as the nice thing about it is the outer wire is longitudinal, which has several advantages, the one being that you can cut it so the inner liner can extend into the adjusters and into the throttle which makes the entire run of the inner cable within the liner.  I was very pleased with the light action, and only a 1/4 of a turn closed to open.  We all know a fast action throttle adds 20 BHP Grin

I know that I should use suppressed leads, but I prefer to use copper cored ones. they are easy to make up and you can make them to the spot on length. I have had that crimp tool 50 years!

one of the things I wanted to do was get rid of the rubber frame bungs… so I turned up some alloy ones. I needed some alloy bar, so I popped into my local metal recyclers… he had several skips of alloy round bar and machined square and oblong billets, all different sizes… many marked on the end with the material specification! They were just about to be taken away so I had to be quick, I really had to restrain myself though, it was like Christmas had come early!

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »

As a reasonable spanner monkey, garage tinkerer, problem solver and (I like to think) innovative thinker... I feel so..... inadequate in the company of such skill.

Mate, will ya bugger off?  Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
buzzer

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2023, 10:23:46 AM »

As a reasonable spanner monkey, garage tinkerer, problem solver and (I like to think) innovative thinker... I feel so..... inadequate in the company of such skill.

Mate, will ya bugger off?  Grin

well if it makes you feel better...  it wouldnt start  Shocked

Things don't always go to plan...  I tried to starts it...  I had a spark, and lots of backfires, but it would not run.  I checked a few things and came to the conclusion it was the pickups...  I wasn't sure if it was the actual hall sensors, or the magnets and spacing.  I decided to try the magnets and spacing first, and it turned out to be that.  not sure if it was the strength of the magnets as they were tiny, or the spacing (I suspect it was the spacing) but either way I had to re design the rotor.  soon as I did this, it fired up and settled to a nice tickover.  I also breathed a sigh of relief as I had put a lot of effort into the exhaust and didn't know what it would sound like!  To me it sounded awesome!  here is a short video.

buzzer

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2023, 01:01:53 AM »

the fuel tap proved to be a challenge. It couldn’t go on the tank, but I also didn’t want to on show. In the end I made a small bracket and mounted it out of sight.

I popped into the paint supplier where my mate works… he persuaded me to try some new lacquer which he said the customers were raving about… I reluctantly agreed to try it. Although I had prepped the tank, I thought I would try it on the mudguard first… I am glad I did! It was easy enough to spray, and gave a nice gloss from the gun, BUT it took almost two hours before it was dust free… That may be ok in a heated, dust free paint booth, but in my garage its a distinct disadvantage. So its back to what I know and I went back for some of the formula I always use!

buzzer

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2023, 12:21:15 AM »

Here it is, finished...  I am pleased with the look, even though it divides opinion!

This will be the last full bike build for a while. This is my 12th bike build, they usually take me all winter to complete, and then I ride them over the summer.

I have no doubt there will be some tinkering, and I will post the results of that,  but I wont be doing another full build until September 2024. I will be doing a video on the build soon.

The plan is to spend the summer as we always do, Holidays, days out, and going for rides... Then in the autumn its time to do some work on the house, new kitchen, bathroom, general renovations and decorating. The last house purge was the year I retired...  14 years ago!  My wife has been very tolerant over the years!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: