Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:36:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low-Side  (Read 7550 times)
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »

What all was messed up on it?

My 675 is in the shop for a lowside at the track Sad My body work was fine (although i was already replacing it with race plastics) but I bent at least my fork and 1 clip on... It's at the frame shop getting the final numbers of whats broken Sad
ArabicaMan

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 06:55:13 AM »

What all was messed up on it?

My 675 is in the shop for a lowside at the track Sad My body work was fine (although i was already replacing it with race plastics) but I bent at least my fork and 1 clip on... It's at the frame shop getting the final numbers of whats broken Sad

The list of stuff that I managed to mess up would fill up several pages of this thread, but suffice it to say that most of it was cosmetic.  Now, in Ducati terms, "cosmetic" I've learned means "incredibly expensive to replace" which was the approach I was taking since it was an insurance claim and the bike was basically new.  The tank alone was estimated at $2300, and I also managed to prang the front windscreen, the seat, and rear fairing, the front Ohlins, the swing arm, the water pump cover, the...you get the idea.  Mechanically, I also shoved the clutch lever into the transmission and mangled at least one gear, but we didn't open it up to find out exactly what the damage was since that's a 10-hour operation and the tally on the damage was already over $10,000 in replacement part.  So the insurer (Progressive) just totaled it out and gave me a check.

(Of note is that the Progressive adjuster told me he usually always ends up totaling out Ducatis just because of how expensive they are to fix after an accident.  Progressive was dynamite, by the way.  I had a check less than 24 hours after filing the claim, and that included payment for the helmet, the jacket, and the gloves.)

Good luck to you on your repairs.  I hope your experience is happier than mine.  Cheers.

2007 S4Rs, full DP/Termi exhaust, DP short rear guard, Bitubo steering damper, DP billet indicators (front & back), Rizoma "Reverse Retro" mirrors, Matrix Motosports carbon fiber fairing support, various shiny DP carbon bits, custom license plate mount
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:52 AM »

Did you have any frame/fork/swing-arm sliders? I wonder if that would have helped in you accident.

Sorry to hear about the extensive list of damages. Good luck on your next purchase. Cheesy
ArabicaMan

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 07:04:21 AM »

Did you have any frame/fork/swing-arm sliders? I wonder if that would have helped in you accident.

Sorry to hear about the extensive list of damages. Good luck on your next purchase. Cheesy

Funny you ask that.  I had just been shopping for some and had ordered a set of Speedymoto sliders from my dealer.  He's the same guy who has always serviced the bike and who ended up doing the postmortem on the poor thing.  When I walked into the shop, he looked at me and said, "Man, wish we'd have ordered those sliders two weeks earlier."  No kidding.  Now, given the terrain where I went down, I'm not convinced that the sliders wouldn't have just caught on the wet grass and sent the bike tumbling, but then again, most of the damage was done on it's slide across the pavement and gravel prior to it's ending up in the wet bank so it might have made a huge difference.  But I guess we'll never know.  That said, I see a set of sliders in my future for the new bike.

2007 S4Rs, full DP/Termi exhaust, DP short rear guard, Bitubo steering damper, DP billet indicators (front & back), Rizoma "Reverse Retro" mirrors, Matrix Motosports carbon fiber fairing support, various shiny DP carbon bits, custom license plate mount
red baron

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 10:46:02 AM »

Interesting read, did the bike drift to the outside?

was the gravel in the road?

did you look at the gravel?

I don't know if it's normal but I'm constantly self aware that I need be looking where I want to go not really where I'm going. It really makes for a better ride for me.

riding staggered in corners?? what if there's something in the road? no escape route.

sorry to hear about your S4RS Cry

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
ArabicaMan

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »

Interesting read, did the bike drift to the outside?

was the gravel in the road?

did you look at the gravel?

I don't know if it's normal but I'm constantly self aware that I need be looking where I want to go not really where I'm going. It really makes for a better ride for me.

riding staggered in corners?? what if there's something in the road? no escape route.

sorry to hear about your S4RS Cry

Good questions and points all.  Yes, there was a bit of gravel in the road, but it was the sand and gravel at the edge of the road that got me.  I set up for a late apex turn, which was just sublimely stupid given the conditions, and I had no bail out room.  I actually was looking through the corner, but then my rear tire got loose and that was all she wrote.  As for riding staggered in corners, I now know that that's only for police honor guards.  I'll ride my own line and only my own line from now on, that you very much.

As for the S4Rs, I just got back from the dealer to pay my last respects.  And to get a quote on a new one, of course.  Cheers.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: