696 LCD Display Issue - Solved Voltage Drop

Started by Kev M, October 02, 2026, 06:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev M

So we recently passed the 15th anniversary of acquiring our 696 and I'm sorry to say we've also just run into our first snag. It's very minor but still.

It seems the gauge cluster panel display has a fault.



I don't think it's the LCD segments themselves because they seem to work for the odometer, but the time display has lost the tens digit and the trip meter display has lost the hundredths digit.

So if it's been a week or two since Jenn's ridden it, she likely won't remember if there's a 166 or 66 miles on this tank:



And, this is weird too - not only is it set to military time (I don't remember it being set that way, but whatever) - somehow it thinks it is 13:21, but also that 13:21 is AM?!? That's weird right?



So is this a software/programming issue and not an actual hardware fault?

And if it is software are there any places that can analyze/fix that?

I assume other than that the only choice would be to replace the cluster, which seems extreme for what is only a slight inconvenience. Of course, it could also be the start of a cascading failure but * shrugs *.

Anyone seen anything like this on another Monster or have any thoughts on the matter, chime in please.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696

koko64

#1
It looks like 321 am and 66.1 miles or kms.
So the trip meter does register tenths of a km/mile so thats OK. What I'm noticing is the clock says 321 and not 3:21. I just checked this on my 1100's dash to be sure.
The digits do appear more spaced out on the odometer. What do you think the real mileage should be?
Have you tried switching it back to civilian time to compare digit spacing?

For the record displaying tenths of a km/mile was a waste imo when I would prefer bolder, larger digits. [laugh]
2015 Scrambler 800
2013 M1100 Evo

Charlie98

#2
Unless I'm misreading your OP...

The odometer is limited to 5 digits... so once your mileage hits 10000, you don't get a tenth.  I would have to try to find a picture of my Monster's dash at less than 10000mi to see if it ever posted tenths.

I, also, only see 3:21 AM, which would not be military time.

An easy way to check your pixels is to watch the display when you key it on... the 'Monster 696' should scroll across the bottom of the screen, you should be able to see if you are missing a spot in the display.

As far as your time, very often, because of the weak battery to starter wiring, when you try to start it, it will cut out, particularly if your battery is older and can't deliver the amps over the thin wiring.  When it resets, it also resets the clock, as well as the trip odometers.

ETA:  found a pic of my odo at 7500 miles (I was at COTA, for the 2017 MotoGP, waiting to run the track...) and, no, no tenths on the odometer.

Dennis

2014 MTS 1200S Pikes Peak
2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...

Charlie98

To add...

The time display has a 'flashing' colon between the hours and minutes, and that colon is not part of the numerical matrix... it's separate.  I went into my menu (2013 796, BTW...) and I didn't see anywhere to convert the time display to a 24hr military clock... because I would have done it years ago... unless there is some hidden esoteric way to do it, not unlike switching my MTS from KM to MI.
Dennis

2014 MTS 1200S Pikes Peak
2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...

koko64

#4
The tenths are on the trip meter but not on the odometer, that's correct. Yes, no digits are missing but notice the gaps? The odometer digits look a bit gapped compared to my 2013 model. My 2013 dash has the odometer digits packed tighter like your pic. Maybe its a model change or update. The clock pic must have been taken just as the colon flashed off. Glancing at it while riding you would never know. So to my eyes the issue is the gap in the odometer digits, but that could be a model component characteristic. A series of fat digits may show no gaps at all due to their block structure. There's every chance nothing is wrong but for an occasional struggle with voltage.
2015 Scrambler 800
2013 M1100 Evo

koko64

So good news Kevin. Checking my Evo again, its just the block structure throwing my eye in the pics. The gap is fine. I was concerned that part of the digit may have failed to display. The time display is OK. I think there's no issue with the dash itself and Charlie's explanation re voltage explains the phenomenon. It's akin to  changing the battery, or a regulator beginning to fail with voltage drop issues.
2015 Scrambler 800
2013 M1100 Evo

Kev M

#6
Good morning and thanks for the responses. I guess my descriptions were misleading, let me try again.

The trip meter display will not show the first "1" in 166.1 so Jenn won't know when she gets on the bike if there's 66 miles on the tank or 166 miles in the tank.

The actual time that photo was taken was 1:21 and I thought the display was trying to show 13:21 but then I noticed the AM and just assumed that again the first "1" was missing and not that the bike thought it was 3:21 am.

But maybe you guys hit on the answer.

Maybe I'm just wrong and neither was trying to display.

The battery IS weak. It failed a load test almost two years ago. But we keep it on a tender in rotation and so it still starts and runs when we head out on a day ride.

So maybe the voltage drop at startup recently reset the clock and trip meter and she didn't realize it. And maybe that day we didn't ride over 100 miles but the tank had over 100 on it because of the reset. So when she was surprised at the low fuel light and the trip meter wasn't showing enough miles it wasn't because the display was broken, it was because the display had unknowingly reset!


I bet you that the display is fine and I just need to get off my ass and replace the battery!

I may not do it this season with winter coming. But if I wait till spring I promise I'll report back.

And maybe I'll reset the clock and test the digit that way right away.

And maybe take it for a 100+ mile ride (ouch for me but she can do it just fine) and test the display that way.

Thanks guys, I'm cautiously optimistic the hive mind just figured it out!!!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696

Kev M



Solid Theory Gentleman!

THANK YOU




I just need a dry day to check the trip meter but, yeah, I'm pretty sure this theory is going to stand up to further testing.

I Appreciate you!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696

Charlie98

Battery voltage and strength is very critical on these older Monsters.  I change my battery about every 2 years regardless, because once it starts going, it's possible you can get stranded trying to get the thing to relight during a ride.  Once it starts, it's fine... but I've had a few nail-biters, particularly when it's cold.  They sell an oversized wiring kit to replace the battery to starter wires, I understand this helps immensely.  If your wife is planning on keeping her Monster, it's something to consider.  These bikes don't need just a whole lot to make them reliable... but the electrical/start circuit is one of the issues.
Dennis

2014 MTS 1200S Pikes Peak
2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...

Kev M

#9
I confess, a search of my photos suggests the one and only time I've replaced the battery in the 15 years we've had the bike was April 11th, 2019 so I guess we're due.  8)

She has been an absolutely trouble free bike since day 1 and Jenn has no plans to replace her.



Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696

ducpainter

The battery cable upgrade is well worth it.
"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent."



Charlie98

Looks like great minds think alike... nothing like a big honkin' 4x4 to prop up the gas tank!  Why is it, whenever I have to raise the tank... I've always just filled it???



Dennis

2014 MTS 1200S Pikes Peak
2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...

koko64

Hey you guys, what's your fastest time for getting the tank off? ;D
If there was a catastrophic electrical short you may as well wheel the bike onto the road and call the fire brigade. [laugh]
I appreciate the hinged tank of the old models.
2015 Scrambler 800
2013 M1100 Evo

Kev M

Quote from: koko64 on October 05, 2026, 11:16:26 PMHey you guys, what's your fastest time for getting the tank off? ;D
If there was a catastrophic electrical short you may as well wheel the bike onto the road and call the fire brigade. [laugh]
I appreciate the hinged tank of the old models.

 [laugh]  That is definitely not something I've tried to rush...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696

koko64

#14
I roll a tool trolley next to bike with an old pillow on it and place the tank on that if I'm in a hurry, but that 4x4 works!
2015 Scrambler 800
2013 M1100 Evo