Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:21:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do I have to have a Duc to be here?  (Read 5626 times)
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 04:10:38 AM »

welcome lytehouse Smiley
like msinc said, all are welcome.
there are lots of other members without ducati's

when i ride to the office i usually wear full gear,
with heels, skirt or slacks, lunch and laptop in my tailbag.
i have done the 26 mile commute in jeans instead of the armored pants....
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »

I ride to work often (the days I don't ride, I commute by bicycle). On the moto I always wear full 2-piece leathers, back protector, moto boots, gloves, the works. Under that I have a regular knit shirt, and sometimes a fleece layer, plus long underwear on the bottom half. I just wear the leather pants and boots all day, but I work in a place where the boss dresses in shorts and flip-flops.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:52 AM »

No Duc required for this board.  You just have to have an appreciation for them. 

On the issue of gear, it all depends on where you are.  If it's not too hot, an Aerostitch Roadcrafter would be the easiest on and off.  They say you can get in or out of it in 10 seconds, and they're not kidding.  You don't even have to take off your boots to get in/out of it.  If it gets to be roasting hot and a Roadcrafter would be too hot, then get at least a mesh jacket/pants set that will zip together.  It's obviously not as good as a proper riding suit, but it will offer much better impact and abrasion protection than ordinary street clothes. 

JEANS OFFER ZERO ABRASION PROTECTION, PERIOD. 

So many people think that jeans are just fine, but talk to someone who has crashed in jeans.  They all say they may as well have been wearing shorts.  Even the steel reinforced jeans and the ones with kevlar backing in the knees really don't hold up well and offer zero impact protection. 

Keep the rubber side down!

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
lytehouse

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 07:26:41 AM »

Thanks to ALL of you for your welcomes .........
& input about the gear........
Foxtrotter

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:03 AM »

JEANS OFFER ZERO ABRASION PROTECTION, PERIOD. 

So many people think that jeans are just fine, but talk to someone who has crashed in jeans.  They all say they may as well have been wearing shorts.  Even the steel reinforced jeans and the ones with kevlar backing in the knees really don't hold up well and offer zero impact protection. 

waytogo  Excellent post!!  I hate seeing riders in jeans because I know they rip when someone trips in a parking lot, let alone crashes.  I am always in full armored gear from head to toe when on the bike.  Right now, all my stuff is two-piece, but I am waiting on a one-piece Vanson because I think it will offer even more protection since there are no zippers, etc. that could break or separate.  If you get a tail bag, you can bring your jeans etc. along to wear once you arrive.  Spend the most you can afford and err on the side of caution.  Better safe than sorry--if you never crash, good gear lasts for years and years, which means a really low investment on a yearly basis.  And if you do crash, it was worth every penny!   Grin

Our Stable--two wheels and four legs, happily sharing the barn:
'08 1100 S HyperMotard, '09 Monster 696, '08 Kawi Versys, '07 Suzuki GZ 250,
Four Missouri Foxtrotters
ridelikeagirl

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »

I ride to work almost every day...I'm lucky in that dressing up isn't required.  I was riding to work in jeans and an armored jacket but recently added some armored overpants to my gear collection.  I was tired of wearing jeans everyday. Besides, regular jeans offer no protection and I've seen enough pictures to know that I don't want to experience road rash.   In the past, when working in the "corporate" world, I would occasionally ride and either bring professional clothes to change into or ride on Casual Fridays.    I really like the overpants since it only takes a minute or so to take them off and start working.  Since I free-lance and can work at 3 different offices in one day, changing clothes just wasn't practical for me.   I am a big advocate for gear.  Helmets (I live in an helmet optional state), gloves, pants, boots, jacket.   Always!  ALWAYS!....(even to get gas, just 3 miles from home).   Ride smart and ride safe!
lytehouse

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »

I ride to work almost every day...I'm lucky in that dressing up isn't required.  I was riding to work in jeans and an armored jacket but recently added some armored overpants to my gear collection.  I was tired of wearing jeans everyday. Besides, regular jeans offer no protection and I've seen enough pictures to know that I don't want to experience road rash.   In the past, when working in the "corporate" world, I would occasionally ride and either bring professional clothes to change into or ride on Casual Fridays.    I really like the overpants since it only takes a minute or so to take them off and start working.  Since I free-lance and can work at 3 different offices in one day, changing clothes just wasn't practical for me.   I am a big advocate for gear.  Helmets (I live in an helmet optional state), gloves, pants, boots, jacket.   Always!  ALWAYS!....(even to get gas, just 3 miles from home).   Ride smart and ride safe!

I am a merchadiser, so visiting up to 3 stores a day is not unusual for me .....
Can you tell me more about your overpants? That's what I've been looking at, but some of the ones I've tried on seem difficult to get on & off. And I agree with you about the gear.  ALWAYS!
Sparky1479

Sparks fly...

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

I would like to hear more about pants too..  I have found nothing in stores so far, and am worried about buying online.  I got a pair of leather pants, but couldnt get into them  Sad 
I appear to need extra 'space' around my midsection... strange really.
Is there a good place online to find stuff?
whidbeymonster

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

i finally found pants! yeah. it was what felt like a forever battle. ugh. thank god my hubby digs short and round! ha ha. i had to try on at least 50 different pairs at the stores. finally got field sheer pants that i had to hem, of course! but am super happy now and feel naked without them! i would recommend against the internet cause all different brands fit different and some make you feel like you have a diaper on. not too sexy!
tara
lytehouse

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 03:28:48 PM »

I ended up going to Denver, but found a pair of Olympia Airglide 2 Overpants. They are easy on or off & have a full quilted liner. They are all mesh....with protective armor where it counts. And I found that these fit true to size...if you wear a 10, buy a 10.  I found them at MotoGear Outlet in Arvada, Co
The owner there was very helpful.... HER website @  www.motogearoutlet.com

Sparky1479

Sparks fly...

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »

I ended up going to Denver, but found a pair of Olympia Airglide 2 Overpants. They are easy on or off & have a full quilted liner. They are all mesh....with protective armor where it counts. And I found that these fit true to size...if you wear a 10, buy a 10.  I found them at MotoGear Outlet in Arvada, Co
The owner there was very helpful.... HER website @  www.motogearoutlet.com

cool, thanks!
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 06:42:28 AM »

I just have to say that every time I see this thread my poor little brain reads it as: "do I have to be a Duc to post here?"
 laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

I think I need more sleep. or something.

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: