Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:20:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best technique for riding through flat tires...  (Read 4522 times)
MonsterLove

I eat brains.

« on: August 06, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »

I was just curious. I know they probably went over it at the motorcycle course nine years ago when I first started riding, but I don't remember the best way to deal with it anymore. I was just thinking about it the other day, and wondered how I would ride through it if a tire ever blew on the highway. Is the technique different for front and rear tires? I would love to hear any input, so I can do some mental preparation "just in case". Thanks!

Celeste
wbeck257

Porkchop Sandwhiches!

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:25 AM »

Slowly get off the throttle, try to ease to the side of the road, and use the brake opposite of the flat.

2006 Ducati S2R1000, 1974 Honda MT125, 1974 Penton Jackpiner 175, 1972 Yamaha R5
MonsterLove

I eat brains.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »

Slowly get off the throttle, try to ease to the side of the road, and use the brake opposite of the flat.

ok, that makes perfect sense. I figured it was something like that, but it's good to hear something definate.

Celeste
woodyracing

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »

well if a tire blows your pretty much screwed, if it just goes flat your probably okay

a flat rear tire isn't really that bad, front brakes are okay to use (will only take weight off the rear), just keep the front wheel in line and you'll be fine

front tire is more tricky, obviously depending on the speed, surroundings, lean, etc.   Obviously don't touch the front brake, rear can be used to an extent.  Key is to stay upright and don't transfer too much weight to the front end

had a rear tire go flat on the track last year, turned in to the corner at ~80mph almost got to my normal lean angle and the rear end suddenly swung around.  Barely kept from crashing, ran off the track obviously but stayed upright.  Found out later I had picked up a 2" screw in the paddock lol

mossimo

I lost my titanium member in the operation

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

+1

well if a tire blows your pretty much screwed, if it just goes flat your probably okay

a flat rear tire isn't really that bad, front brakes are okay to use (will only take weight off the rear), just keep the front wheel in line and you'll be fine

front tire is more tricky, obviously depending on the speed, surroundings, lean, etc.   Obviously don't touch the front brake, rear can be used to an extent.  Key is to stay upright and don't transfer too much weight to the front end

+1 also

Keep a firm/steady grip on the bars, ease off the throttle, apply brake to the opposite tire that is flat, pull to side of road and figure out how to get home!

Overall the goal is to stay upright, if you do a decent inspection before you ride you should notice a flat started or any debris in the tire, but shit happens.

You are a step ahead if you are thinking about it before hand waytogo

"Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."  Will Rogers.
mihama01

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »

Actually no! if it is the rear that goes flat.

Speaking from experience if the rear is flat do not use the front brake, use only engine braking.

When flat the rear is offering very limited side to side grip and will come round to meet the front, same as if you locked up the rear....you will crash if you do this at speed and the rear tyre is completely flat.

My rear tyre was sliced open on metal, decrompressed instantly. I was doing about 60mph and had a stationary queue of cars in front of me. I applied front brake and highsided. Severe damage then followed. Cry

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
wbeck257

Porkchop Sandwhiches!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:28:10 AM »

From the MSF Basic RiderCourse Rider Handbook:

Tire Failure:

With modern tubeless tires, actual blowouts are rare, but they can occur. The most common cause of tire failure is riding with the tire pressure too low. Check tires frequently and keep them inflated to the manufacturer's specifications.

If a puncture should occur, maintain a firm hold on the handgrips, but do not fight the steering to correct any wobble or weave that can develop. Avoid downshifting and braking until speed is low and under control. If traffic permits, slow gradually and move off to the side of the road. If braking is necessary, use the brake on the wheel with the good tire. Using the brake on the wheel with the bad tire can cause a tire to separate from the rim, and this can cause immediate loss of control. Be aware that integrated braking systems don't allow "rear brake only" application and linked braking systems do not allow any single-brake operation. On motorcycles equipped with either of these systems, braking with the "good tire only" may not be possible and any braking should be done as lightly as possible.

http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=Search&content=12D63D09-A0CC-53D5-64764948F882EC77&spl=1&Criteria=flat&content=4D0C0949-A0CC-53D5-64B6300840B6FBE0&spl=0

Sorry -- but  I am going to disagree w/ you on this.
I've lost two rear tires in my riding history.

Both times I've SLOWLY let off the throttle. Neither of my flats were on the Duc, but one thing I would be very aware of is how much engine brakeing the Duc produces. I would  be very, very careful on letting off the gas. Just jumping off the throttle on the twin is a good way to piss the bike off.

Secondly, as I am coasting I lightly get on the brakes of the good wheel -- both times front brake. One time I was able to pretty much coast to ~10MPH and then brake. The second time I was forced into hard braking at about ~45MPH.

Neither time did the rear loose traction.

2006 Ducati S2R1000, 1974 Honda MT125, 1974 Penton Jackpiner 175, 1972 Yamaha R5
sh

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »

one thing I don't like about MSF, is that a lot of their "rules" don't seem to distinguish between sport bikes and cruisers.  MSF is great in general, but I wish they would add more bike-specific caveats to their instruction.

From my experience (on a sport bike), a flat rear is not too bad.  Relax and let the bike slow itself.  Remember that these bikes do not like sudden, dramatic inputs, so it is always best to relax and let the bike find itself.  If you start fish-tailing with a flat rear, any input is going to make things a lot worse.

A flat front is CRAZY!  I've had one of these and the bike was all over the place.  I was probably going about 30-40 mph.  The front was a mess, so I stopped all steering input and just used a light amount of rear brake.  My goal was nothing more than to reduce speed.

2005 749 Dark
2004 Monster 620ie (sold)
1992 900 SS
cmorgan47

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »

one thing I don't like about MSF, is that a lot of their "rules" don't seem to distinguish between sport bikes and cruisers.  MSF

excellent point
mossimo

I lost my titanium member in the operation

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »

As a MSF instructor I will agree.  Although you do have to realize the audience, half these people really couldn't tell the difference between various bikes, and as a whole they will be riding a huge variety of differents styles.  The MSF is focused towards a general audience to give a good set of safe guidelines to get new riders started.  The advanced (experienced) class is good for varying between different bikes, strategies, and getting input on your bike, as is forums like this which help the rider understand their bike and what to expect.

"Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."  Will Rogers.
woodyracing

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

Actually no! if it is the rear that goes flat.

Speaking from experience if the rear is flat do not use the front brake, use only engine braking.

When flat the rear is offering very limited side to side grip and will come round to meet the front, same as if you locked up the rear....you will crash if you do this at speed and the rear tyre is completely flat.

My rear tyre was sliced open on metal, decrompressed instantly. I was doing about 60mph and had a stationary queue of cars in front of me. I applied front brake and highsided. Severe damage then followed. Cry

I see where your coming from but disagree.  yes the rear tire will try to swing around but I've kept my rear wheel locked all the way from about 140mph down to about 30mph (got to the end of the Road ATL back straight and realized I had no front brakes), yes the rear wheel will try to swing around but as long as you keep the front wheel in line and don't let the rear end swing enough to make it to full lock (modulate front brake as needed), you'll be fine.

now obviously don't go too nuts on the front brakes but using engine braking will not help the situation.  Look at it this way, there are two ways to control the bike in this situation.  Using the front end/brakes or using the rear of the bike/engine braking.  Using the front end allows you full control over the movement of the bike.  Giving the rear tire thats flat/blown to control the bike is not necessarily the most dependable way to make the bike do what you want.

hell next time your ready for a new set of tires take the old set for one last spin and just practice locking the rear wheel up starting from slower speeds and working your way up.  Its a useful skill if you ever have a flat or lose your front brakes at an inopportune time.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:13:12 PM by woodyracing » Logged

MonsterLove

I eat brains.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »

Wow, lots of info! That's good, I'm glad this board is available for people like me.  Grin

Thanks everyone!

Celeste
mihama01

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »

Just to clarify

The more pressure in the tyre the more grip available and the greater the ability to use the brakes as normal.

My comments really only relates to when you find yourself with zero pressure.

I was under control until I touched the front brake and I seriously doubt the ability of normal rider to modulate the front brake to keep the rear in line in that kind of situation. I should say in addition that I was *expecting* the reaction that occured but it happened too fast to control.

Braking from the rear, either engine or rear brake is essentially stabilising the bike, keeping it in a straight line. Braking on the front is depending on side to side grip from the back to keep it in line.

For full disclosure, my accident happened a few years ago (It was my late model RG250 Gamma).

I have now ridden on a circuit with both front and rear locked up (well on the edge of available grip) and kept in in a straight line (kind of  Grin) it is not something I wish to repeat on a regular basis Smiley but I still doubt the performance of the tyre if this kind of decompression occured again.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:34:42 PM by mihama01 » Logged

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
Bizzarrini
Showing off his

'94 M900

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 05:53:46 AM »

The more pressure in the tyre the more grip available and the greater the ability to use the brakes as normal.

True to a certain extent, but when you increase the pressure, the contact patch wth the road also decreases, thereby limiting grip...

"As a final touch, God created the Dutch"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: