Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:23:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perception of Ducatis and cornering.  (Read 4662 times)
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« on: August 15, 2008, 07:04:07 PM »

So since I bought my bike I've had like three people tell me "Ducati ehh, that thing must lean well in the corners".  I've worked it over in my head, and the only thing that I can come up with is that they're referring to the L-twin in the corners as opposed to a 4 banger.  Anyone else come across this odd little perception?  I actually had one guy ride behind me intentionally just to "watch me corner" and I can assure you it's not because of my technique.  Monsters have lower rearsets and less ground clearance, but they still turn just like any other sportbike.  Maybe it's just another dumb-ass perception of Ducs, right up there with "that sounds broken" and "what did that run you, 30/40 grand??".

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
jesse370

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »

rather have that then all the kids at gas stations with the " ducati huh? I hear they are the fastest bikes out"

OR

Wondering how old my 07 Rs is because it has no body work on it, I mean they haven't made bikes without fairings in what? 30 years

White S4Rs | Ducati Performance Chip | Termi's | Hyperpro side mount damper | Motowheels MW-7000 Slipper | Billet Clutch Cover |  Speedymoto Ti Spring Caps | Speedymoto Stainless Springs | STM Frame Plugs | Ducati Performance Seat | CRG Roll-A-Clicks
mossimo

I lost my titanium member in the operation

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »

"Is that a hybrid?" Angry

"Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."  Will Rogers.
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »

I have a new one....whenever anyone asks about the bike (when I've just got off it) and tell them Ducati Monster, they always guess the capacity...and they ALWAYS guess 600cc.

The other night I figured out why - (maybe) - I'm 6 foot 6....so it does look a little small!

Spider (on a m1000s)
Sgt_H

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:58:43 AM »

I have a new one....whenever anyone asks about the bike (when I've just got off it) and tell them Ducati Monster, they always guess the capacity...and they ALWAYS guess 600cc.

The other night I figured out why - (maybe) - I'm 6 foot 6....so it does look a little small!

Spider (on a m1000s)

Huh, maybe that's why my 750 always gets guessed as a 900.  I'm 5'9"

Sgt_H
Banned
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 06:13:20 PM »

I've gotten that comment about cornering and handling as well. 

I think that perception is accredited to Ducati's racing heritage.

Nothing wrong with trickle down racing technology into the modern sportbikes.   waytogo

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »

If the relationship of a rider's height to the bike's size is the determining factor for the guess, they'd ask me if I was riding a M11tybs.  laughingdp

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
red baron

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »

If the relationship of a rider's height to the bike's size is the determining factor for the guess, they'd ask me if I was riding a M11tybs.  laughingdp

Likely they're interested in the rider. Wink

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13:29 AM »

So since I bought my bike I've had like three people tell me "Ducati ehh, that thing must lean well in the corners".  I've worked it over in my head, and the only thing that I can come up with is that they're referring to the L-twin in the corners as opposed to a 4 banger. ...  Maybe it's just another dumb-ass perception of Ducs, right up there with "that sounds broken" and "what did that run you, 30/40 grand??".

Back in the day, Ducati had a well earned reputation as one of the few big bikes that handled, and among the best of those few.

I'm talking 1970s.

Even in the 80s the Japs weren't quite cutting it, the Brits were going broke, the Germans weren't very sporty and the Italian rivals were scanty and no better than Ducati.

Since the 90s just about every maker has had something speccy in the steering department but Ducati is still pretty consistent and doesn't make many duds.

Reputations take a while to develop and tend to hang around in the absence of major stuff-ups.

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:48:39 AM »

magazines still say "typical Ducati stability in corners"   Say anything for thirty years and even car folks and non-auto enthusiasts will hear it somewhere.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Munch

Monster S4R - Munchstrada 1100S - 749R

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:16 PM »

Probably alot to due with the power down low. It's easy to come through the apex, and be back on the throttle, and have immediate power with the Twin. Whereas the Japanses in-lines need to rev it up. So either they come into the corner with high RPM to be able to get "on-the-gas" coming out.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:02:56 PM »

With regards to my 1098 R which I have been riding most of the Summer when I get a fairly bearable warm day as oppossed to opressive heat , the remarks I get most are from other riders at gas stations.  " Is that bike fast ! " or " What size is that bike?   It's probably faster than mine.  or  " Nice bike."  then stare for several  seconds w/ a second glance after they look away and then start their bike , rev it up and rip off at high revs.

The kid in me thinks ,wish my bike was broken in so I could show you what a Ducati R w/ Race pipes can do !

I've got to get that thought out of my head in the next 237 miles. So far I've broken in the " R " by the manual, nothing above 7,000 RPMs now until 1500 miles. 

I think the look of a Ducati Monster has the appearance of a purpose built bike that screams handling and performance w/ it's artitic lines , and aggressive look it is like a Ferrari F430, there is no mistaking what the car is about and what it can do or should beable to do. The name says alot as well. Just as Ferrari is known by it's name for building race cars 1st and street cars that follow their racing heritage .So it is w/ Ducati , a company that builds race bikes that also builds bikes for the street w/a racing heritage.   Dolph
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:31:23 PM by DoubleEagle » Logged

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: