Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:31:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Wrench or Not to Wrench  (Read 2458 times)
ThelmaLou

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »

Make a day of it, and have Lyndy start sweet talkin someone with a lift.... waytogo

Hey *** when's the next time you have the house all to yourself??  Kiss   [moto]

2001 M600
Organ donation will save my fathers life! Give Life! - Be an Organ Donor!
never2loud
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »

Yeah, I had two people help me when I put my Rizoma clip-ons on; the best thing to do is take pictures of where the cables go  in relation to the instrument cluster.  Some cables go around and some go under the gauge set... Unfortunately it's really easy to put it all back together wrong and then realize when you go and ride that the throttle cable doesn't have enough length when you turn lock-to-lock...

Don't ask me how I know  bang head

Does the rear suspension on the 600 have an adjustable "dog bone"?  It is my understanding that only a relatively small amount can be adjusted from the actual ride height on a 600-series bike if the suspension is all stock.  The good news is that if the bike was just "lowered" on a stock rear set-up, then I would think it could be returned to correct ride height with little effort.

Additionally, looking at the low-ness of the top triple combined with a slightly  lowered rear suspension might explain any weird handling issues like "nervous" steering when going through corners or feeling like the front end is really light when cruising down the freeway (I rode a friend's bike once that had the front lowered on the triple tree by two inches - it was freakin' scary).

All the rest of the stuff - new grips and levers - are pretty straight forward.  An air compressor with a needle tip used for inflating footballs is perfect for getting grips off without damage.  A very small amount of dish soap and a lot of water will get the new ones on.  I've never had to use grip glue - once the water evaporates, they aren't going ANYWHERE.

Phhew, what is up with these moto-related posts from me lately?   laughingdp   

Anyway, I'd love to help out with your project Lindy and Jim if you need it  waytogo

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:29:50 PM by Cher » Logged
fastwin
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »

Wow! I just clicked on the last post in this thread and saw Lisa's post and mistakenly thought it was one of mine because it was so long! laughingdp But I quickly knew it wasn't when I saw all the paragraphs!! applause Won't catch me doing something like that! NEVER! Come on run-on sentences!!! Grin
sdlrodeo

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »

the six nine fiver

You should have about 3 cm of tube above the triple. another option to consider are cyclecat fork extenders, they look sweet and give you an aggressive position that is not too aggressive.

You say 3cm? from the pic, it doesn't look like more than an inch. Just my thoughts.
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
hiero

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »

as fas as suspension set up, why not get a professinoal to go out and do a set up on the bike for you first?   It's usually very cheap (20-40 bucks to have it done) and it'll give you a good idea of what you can do to help your other ergonomics issues

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »

You say 3cm? from the pic, it doesn't look like more than an inch. Just my thoughts.
Steve

You're right, I broke put the measuring tape today and it was 1.5 cm.  I should really check what i'm saying before posting advice bang head bang head bang head bang head

never2loud
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 04:07:30 AM »

as fas as suspension set up, why not get a professinoal to go out and do a set up on the bike for you first?   It's usually very cheap (20-40 bucks to have it done) and it'll give you a good idea of what you can do to help your other ergonomics issues

Randy McCarter (Mechanic in residence, Warehome)
(817) 706-8870

He made sure the suspension was set correctly then adjusted it for my weight.  Money well spent - a night and day difference.
fastwin
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 05:13:11 AM »

Another vote for Randy here. If you are feeling funny about messing with it yourself or having our ham fisted efforts "helping" out then give Randy a call. He could do this in his sleep, plus knowing him, he will see many other adjustments that could be made to make Lindy more comfy on the bike and do those too... handlebars, lever angle, etc. Another benefit is if Scott's not there you can go inside and drink all his beer! Oooops, did I just say that? Never mind. bang head laughingdp
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »

Hey *** when's the next time you have the house all to yourself??  Kiss

Thelma Lou's hitting on *** ?!?  I'm so konfuzed Tongue

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 06:26:45 AM »

Another vote for Randy here. If you are feeling funny about messing with it yourself or having our ham fisted efforts "helping" out then give Randy a call. He could do this in his sleep, plus knowing him, he will see many other adjustments that could be made to make Lindy more comfy on the bike and do those too... handlebars, lever angle, etc. Another benefit is if Scott's not there you can go inside and drink all his beer! Oooops, did I just say that? Never mind. bang head laughingdp

+ 11tyb (that's a lot) for Randy!
He's worked on all 7 of my bikes- new tires, balancing rims, 24k service on the K bike, 6k on the PS, new brake pads, changing fluids, adjusting suspension, clip-ons, quick-turn throttle, balancing carbs, fitting bodywork, install rear shock, repaired leaky gas line, & even un-sticking a frozen motor!!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:02:23 AM by General Charming » Logged

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: