Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 18, 2024, 11:29:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 524488 times)
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #5085 on: May 20, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »

That's three tanks of gas for most any of our bikes.  Grin

OK . .. was just saying . . . 2.5 gals and light comes on at 0.5gal... somehow my 620 only goes 110miles on the tank until empty on the highway

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #5086 on: May 20, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »

Finished the valve adjustment on the 848 today!

Nice...congrats.  I'm impressed, but I don't envy you one bit for undertaking that project.  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:16:03 PM by freeflydive » Logged

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5087 on: May 20, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »

Finished the valve adjustment on the 848 today! Downhill from here on out now.  One month into this service.

applause applause applause

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Thermite

It's not my brain that's getting fried here!

« Reply #5088 on: May 20, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »

Nice isn't it when you're done with a project and it turns out good!   Dolph

Yes it is.  Not quite there yet.  The rear suspension has been the suck all along.  I have not been able to move the preload rings or the rebound damping until now.  The stock spring is 410 lbs. and I've gone to 575 lbs. per the Penske chart.  The ride height adjuster is just seized beyond repair so I still have some work to do before I have complete control of the rear.

Even though it's not quite complete I was so stoked when I got down to the tennis courts in Wailua I could hardly play.

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
Thermite

« Reply #5089 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »

Finished the valve adjustment on the 848 today! Downhill from here on out now.  One month into this service.

Hope it all works out like you want.  I wish I had a time-lapse photo shoot of this work to go with my next bottle of bourbon.

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5090 on: May 20, 2012, 09:22:42 PM »

Nice...congrats.  I'm impressed, but I don't envy you one bit for undertaking that project.  

Thank you, but let me highlight something here. The time taken so far had to do with trying to fit the MBP retainer collets. That required extremely time consuming sanding and fitting. Yesterday I stopped trying to fit these things, went back to using stock retainer rings and threw out all the shims that I have been customizing by hand. In effect this reduced the amount of time needed to do a valve adjustment from 4 weeks and counting ( not even making it through halfway ) to 2 days.

Call me picky, or thorough, or whatever. These things did not fit how I thought they should, nor was I willing to compromise on the fit just to make them work, in spite of the recommendations and so called experience of others on various forums. I wanted a proper fit and the time needed to get to that was beyond all reason in my judgement. I'm super happy with the clearances that I've got. I can go into great technical detail but that can be for other ears at another time.

Now there is just cleaning off the old factory sealant, setting the cam belt tension, checking and adjusting the cam timing and closing things up. Needless to say I am very comfortable doing any kind of valve adjustment settings on a Testastretta engine. In the end it's all good.

Dolph
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:36:14 AM by MacDuck » Logged

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5091 on: May 20, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »

Hope it all works out like you want.  I wish I had a time-lapse photo shoot of this work to go with my next bottle of bourbon.

It might take more than one bottle.   Grin

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Thermite

« Reply #5092 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »

No worries,  I get Jefferson's, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek single barrel on the top shelf, Makers Mark on the rail. Smiley

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5093 on: May 21, 2012, 12:23:48 AM »

And a good smoke?   Cheesy

Buffalo Trace

How's that one?

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Thermite

« Reply #5094 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:25 AM »

Buffalo Trace is the lowest $$$ bourbon that will make your top shelf.  I have yet to meet the woman that would like the taste of it so I'd say it's definitely a man's bourbon.  Smokey with an unusual tasting rye.  it also has that limestone water flavor like Bulliet but not as acrid.  It has a very strong finish for a meager 90 proof. A dam fine bottle of gasoline for the money.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5095 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the review.  Never really found either Bulliet or Elijah Craig must to my likings, but maybe I'll give this one a go some time...

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Thermite

« Reply #5096 on: May 21, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the review.  Never really found either Bulliet or Elijah Craig must to my likings, but maybe I'll give this one a go some time...

If you don't like Bulliet you're 50/50 at best.  It's a milder form but not much different.  The rye is different.  I don't know what they do but I have a vision of someone lightly burning one side on a roasting screen.

freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #5097 on: May 22, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »

Thanks for reminding me to pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my father in law!  Well, we just wrapped up 2x days with the California Superbike School at Thunderbolt in New Jersey...what a great time!  I even managed to pick up a set of Dunlop Q2's for $219. 

We're headed to Ohio for our next stop to visit my in-laws.  I love them dearly, but I can't wait to come home.  I think I've spent a total of 10 days at home since March! 

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
Thermite

« Reply #5098 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »

Thanks for reminding me to pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my father in law!

I hope both of my daughters marry guys as considerate as you!  drink

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5099 on: May 24, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

Picked up my new gas tank from Cycledelic today, had Hannibal apply the Caswell coating to the inside of the tank...hopefully my expanding tank woes will soon be a thing of the past...

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: