Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 17, 2024, 09:30:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 524079 times)

« Reply #5280 on: September 07, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »

Your new bike!!!!?

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5281 on: September 07, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »

He always does that, throwin' out a teaser... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5282 on: September 07, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »

No, just something I took out for a test ride today.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5283 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »

No, just something I took out for a test ride today.

Glutton for punishment.   laughingdp

However it is a "R" so that scores points.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:42:09 PM by MacDuck » Logged

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5284 on: September 08, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.

« Reply #5285 on: September 08, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp waytogo

I saw that bike (black & white versions) down at the local dealership 2 weeks ago.....such beauties!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:58:25 AM by 118811 » Logged

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5286 on: September 08, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »

I flogged this one on the same roads that I demo'd the RC8 on yesterday.

« Reply #5287 on: September 08, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

comparison for us less fortunate..... Cry

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5288 on: September 08, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »

It's no where near as comfortable as the RC8, but it definitely has that WOW factor that the KTM was missing.  The bike is really compact, and just feels so small with the possible exception of the area directly under the seat.  It flairs out slightly, but not really enough to be distracting.  You sit much more on top of it than you do the RC8 as well.  It's almost like comparing a 999 (sitting in) and an 8/10/1198, or my old Daytona (sitting on), with the Ape being a very committed seating position.  Over all I would say the Ape is an animal.  The power is REALLY there, but in a controlled sort of way.  It comes on a little soft until you get above 3500rpm.  From there, twist the wrist and it just builds and builds and builds, all while feeling very smooth about it.  It also handled a bit skittishly at lowish speeds, but open it up, and ride it aggressively, i.e. really put it into corners, and it is close to telepathic.  The thing is a homologated race bike after all, and wants to be ridden with just as much conviction.  I have always heard that they put a tremendous amount of heat, but it honestly seemed to run cooler than the KTM did, and that was with getting stuck in more traffic on the Ape as well.  And the sound...  Oh my the sound was amazing!  That little V4 snarling its way through the Leo pipe was just...  It really has to be the best sounding motorcycle I have ever heard.  To be completely honest, the only downsides I could see to owning one of these bikes is the potential for spotty after sale service and the fuel consumption.  We were out for something like 40 miles and the trip computer said that I averaged 21.1 mpg.  But hey, like I said; it's a race bike. 

« Reply #5289 on: September 08, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »

Thanks B....for the insight & details!

I enjoy riding vicariously thru you and others here.
I haven't actually ridden a sport bike since I owned my 87' Honda Hurricane....remember those!!? Huh?

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5290 on: September 08, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

No worries.  We've got a shorter riding season than you do down there, but I wish you guys could come try some of what we have on offer here.  There are some roads that are just plain amazing.  It's not as good as say California, or Colorado, but we've got some choice spots.  

Anyhow, I also took an R1 out today.  It was on a controlled factory supported demo event, so nowhere near as fun (I led the test ride on the Ape  Wink ), but it gave me a bit of insight to that bike.  I was really impressed with what I was able to tell about the cross-plane crank motor.  It felt as if it had ample low end grunt (more so than the V4 on the Ape), and was oh so smooth.  Couldn't open it up for shit though, partly due to the chosen demo route and partly due to the fact that the tools leading the route were just putzing along.  One thing for sure though, the R1 was very natural feeling.  I quickly saw why so many people love them.  The best way I can think to sum it up would be that they are incredibly easy to ride fast due being so neutral/natural (Rick will understand this from his days with the GSX-R), but no where near as fun to ride fast as the Ape.  The Yamaha just seemed to flow in a way that was... wait for it ...fluid while the Ape required a touch more involvement.  But once you gave the Ape your all...  Can you tell that I really liked that bike?

I'm taking a Panigale out on Tuesday, so we'll see how that compares...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:52:12 PM by DRKWNG » Logged

« Reply #5291 on: September 08, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »

"but I wish you guys could come try some of what we have on offer here.  There are some roads that are just plain amazing.  It's not as good as say California, or Colorado, but we've got some choice spots. "

You're in Va?
I am looking into transferring to NC or SC.....I am originally from NC.

I look forward to your opinion of the 1199.....arguably the best looking bike currently....IMHO!!!

sta

'95 ZX6R sold '07 Monster S2R1K

« Reply #5292 on: September 08, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »

Given two sliding doors a fresh coat of white paint, installed FP's mirrors finally, so I'm ready for sunday.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5293 on: September 08, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »

Waiting on the Tuesday report.   popcorn

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5294 on: September 08, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

Waiting on the Tuesday report.   popcorn

I tell you what, that thing will have to be mighty impressive to beat out the Ape.  That V4 was pretty damned amazing.

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: