Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 08:35:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 514266 times)
freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #5760 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »

I haven't run the Q3s, the the Q2s walk all over the PP on both of my bikes.

Ditto for Dunlop!  Many of the beginner and intermediate track riders have had great experiences logging the Q3 at the track.  While subjective...I have been very impressed with the them at the track (I haven't ridden street since relocating to DC)!  Traction is amazing (dry and wet), they warm up quickly, easy to flick into a corner (slightly steeper profile compared to Q2), very predictable at lean and provide plenty of feedback/feel, not finicky if off by 1-2 PSI, with slightly improved wear/durability (not a typical combo)!  

My best friend ran the Q3's in the Advance class for a few of track days while running mid-pack...he had tremendous feedback, but he's moved on to Race DOT spec tires since his pace will overheat/grease the tires by the end of the day...but that's after a full day of flogging (speeding/hard braking) at almost race speeds (he's at the front 1/3 of the pack now).

As with everything, ymmv.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:20:07 PM by freeflydive » Logged

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5761 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »

Opened a package from Woodcraft this afternoon...

Heavier than stock, but sexy... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5762 on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »

Have to think about that, seems to me it would drop the ride height in the rear slowing turn in...what say you MD?... Grin

It's a very marginal difference.  The 55's do go in faster but it's harder to get the chicken strips off them whereas with th 50's it's a lot easier to burn closer to the edge.   Roll Eyes

I have always bought locally when it comes to tires.  For instance down at Montgomery Power Sports Cycle Sports they mount and balance for free with purchase.  I think the real difference in total cost is not that much when you get right down to it and you end up supporting locally.  Sometimes that comes back in a good way in different ways.  Did that make any sense?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:23:26 PM by MacDuck » Logged

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
rz3r0

« Reply #5763 on: September 09, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »

I have always bought locally when it comes to tires.  For instance down at Montgomery Power Sports Cycle Sports they mount and balance for free with purchase.  I think the real difference in total cost is not that much when you get right down to it and you end up supporting locally.  Sometimes that comes back in a good way in different ways.  Did that make any sense?

Local places such as SSC, Montgomery SCS, or Andy's will mount and balance with purchase of tires. Like MD said, supporting local shops can be a good thing! waytogo
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5764 on: September 09, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »

I'm checking with Montgomery tomorrow...SSD wants $497 mounted & balanced for a set...

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5765 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:25 AM »

MD, what's your initial impression of the Q3s?...

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5766 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »

MD, what's your initial impression of the Q3s?...

They are working real good so far.  I'm happy but you have to also figure that they are on a bike that is pretty new to me.  Personally I think if you liked the Michelins you will really like the Q3.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5767 on: September 10, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »

I'm checking with Montgomery tomorrow...SSD wants $497 mounted & balanced for a set...

Do you have the proper socket to remove the rear axle nut?  I'm pretty sure none of the other bike shops do besides SSD. Maybe I'm wrong and they do but it's not just a big 12 point. I think there is a taper fit.

When I take the wheels off I mark the rotation direction with tape & also mark where the tire alignment mark matches up to the valve stem. Make sure all the spacers are out too. 

I think Montgomery charged me $450.00 (?) for the set wheels off and I added the sealant/balance mix to both tires too -- that was extra BTW. I shouldn't get stuck with a flat somewhere though.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:41:29 AM by MacDuck » Logged

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5768 on: September 10, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

Do you have the proper socket to remove the rear axle nut?  I'm pretty sure none of the other bike shops do besides SSD. Maybe I'm wrong and they do but it's not just a big 12 point. I think there is a taper fit.

When I take the wheels off I mark the rotation direction with tape & also mark where the tire alignment mark matches up to the valve stem. Make sure all the spacers are out too. 

I think Montgomery charged me $450.00 (?) for the set wheels off and I added the sealant/balance mix to both tires too -- that was extra BTW. I shouldn't get stuck with a flat somewhere though.  YMMV.

I don't have the socket so I may as well stick with SSD...they've treated me right with some stuff so I'll give them the business...

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5769 on: September 10, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

Changed the starter in the wife's car this afternoon...

freeflydive

« Reply #5770 on: September 10, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »

I'll take mainland/trackside prices any day for my tires.

My buddy Mike & I drove to Thunderbolt @ NJMP tonight to set up for our Wed/Thurs track days w/ NESBA. To our pleasant surprise, the AMA crew is already here getting set up for the wkend race!  Yoshumurah rented out "Lightning" track to test out bikes/parts.  Should be a fun wk away from the office. It'll be interesting to see how the bike feels w/ the new fork springs & refresh.  

Wishing MD, FP, STA & Brandon M. were here.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:26:09 AM by freeflydive » Logged

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5771 on: September 10, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »

The Coleman's location near met set me up with Q2s (fr & r) for $310, installed on both bikes.  Can't really complain about that. 

Ran another couple hundred rds through the new handgun purchase this evening.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
freeflydive

« Reply #5772 on: September 10, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »

The Coleman's location near met set me up with Q2s (fr & r) for $310, installed on both bikes.  Can't really complain about that.  

Ran another couple hundred rds through the new handgun purchase this evening.

Thats a great price...trackside is a bit cheaper, but I have to remove the wheels myself. Which Coleman store?  The Falls Church branch has a great gear/parts shop with great staff/service...never had a warm & IZ_ at the Woodbridge branch. 

Which gun did you get? I'll be at the range (Marine Corps) for my annual M4 & M9 quals next wk.  A lot of early mornings ahead...range goes hot at the crack of sunrise!  I need my eyes checked...the silhouette target now looks IZ_ at 500 yards...never was a problem before!  Shocked
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:43:22 PM by freeflydive » Logged

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5773 on: September 10, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »

I'm close to the Woodbridge location, as I live in Occoquan.  I've always had good luck with these guys, but it seems to be a mixed bag with some other folk.  Probably helped that I introduced myself to Casey (the Ducati wrench) by giving him a mixed six pack of craft brews.

I picked up an M&P9 last Friday.  Put a couple hundred rds through it on Sunday, and again this evening.  It's an interesting item, but I'm so used to shooting Glocks...  Not sure if I really want to spend the time/energy learning a new trigger system.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
freeflydive

« Reply #5774 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »

The beer is always a nice jesture of goodwill & friendship. I fired the S&W/M&P 9mm the other wk while in Ohio.  I don't know about the Glock, but the trigger pull felt a bit heavy/mushy, with an unintuitive reset...but might be that I'm not used to it. Otherwise I thought it was a decent weapon w/ ok shot groups. It had a comfortable grip, but that depends on the person.

If interested, you can try this trigger fix/"enhancement." https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:09:11 PM by freeflydive » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: