Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 30, 2024, 08:07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 535649 times)
freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #4005 on: July 09, 2011, 04:45:32 AM »

Long day at work, but made the best of it....wrapped up the day w/ a 2x tank night dive at Shark's Cove with Teresa, then celebrated a friend's b-day.   

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #4006 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

Hey Rick,
One quick question, can I use DOT5.1? Cause I'm only finding locally, Panama Central America, DOT synthetic ... and have read something about synthetic brake fluids and Ducatis not getting along ...

Thanks

Ooops. Just caught this post while back tracking. Best to stick with the DOT4. Should be common as dirt. A regular auto parts store should carry lots of it.

You don't need DOT5 of any kind unless you are racing hard. DOT5 is not compatible with DOT4 at all.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4007 on: July 09, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

Ooops. Just caught this post while back tracking. Best to stick with the DOT4. Should be common as dirt. A regular auto parts store should carry lots of it.

You don't need DOT5 of any kind unless you are racing hard. DOT5 is not compatible with DOT4 at all.

OK, thing's the DOT4 I found says, "Racing Brake Fluid", and then at the motoshops, DOT5 ... But if DOT4 is good, then, my guys at Bosch's dealer have both BOSCH and ATE Blue DOT4...

Thanks again ... Cause before 'stealer' went belly up, I bought like 3 bottles of Castrol GTLMA .. and the little pint costs like $6.00 here and the 1 liter jug of BOSCH or ATE I get for the same price ..

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #4008 on: July 09, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »

Spent the morning at the Walk like MADD event at Kaka'ako park, in memory of CMDCM Dave Tyner (Retired), who was killed by a drunk driver 100 days ago today while riding his Harley home from work.  

Then, showed the bike.  Guy seems very interested, but has to convince his wife that it's ok to own a naked bike instead of a plasticy one.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:28:05 PM by jebus tristos » Logged

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #4009 on: July 09, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »

but has to convince his wife that it's ok to own a naked bike instead of a plasticy one.

Maybe she thinks naked bikes have been crashed and the plastic has been trashed... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4010 on: July 09, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »

OK, thing's the DOT4 I found says, "Racing Brake Fluid", and then at the motoshops, DOT5 ... But if DOT4 is good, then, my guys at Bosch's dealer have both BOSCH and ATE Blue DOT4...

Thanks again ... Cause before 'stealer' went belly up, I bought like 3 bottles of Castrol GTLMA .. and the little pint costs like $6.00 here and the 1 liter jug of BOSCH or ATE I get for the same price ..

Blue brake fluid is different stuff too and is used all by it's lonesome. The regular old amber/clear DOT 4 is perfect.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #4011 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »

With the help of Rick and Gene....bled the clutch and front brake, tweeked the SAG on the rear shocks and lube'd the chain.  Re-paid Teresa by taking her to happy hour for drinks and food (in that order) :-)

Thanks for your help guys,
Majdi

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4012 on: July 10, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »

Blue brake fluid is different stuff too and is used all by it's lonesome. The regular old amber/clear DOT 4 is perfect.

Rick, the ATE's name is just that, the fluid is amber in color... the tin in which comes is silver/blue ...

My confussion came from a thread, don't remember if here or the other place were it was mentioned something about DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5 and 5.1 ... and since most motoshops here are trying to cater to SBK[Japs] guys, they're selling the DOT5 and the combo DOT3/4. Did have issues with the Castrol GTLMA, after a couple of rides the twisties by my place, no brakes... So I didn't want to purchase it again.

But if I can use the Bosch's or ATE DOT4 fluids ... Once I get back to Panama I'll bled all systems ... Hopefully I'll have my Oberon clutch slave by then...

Now if you don't mind, I've got RaceTech moded forks for my weight, how often should I replace fluid? And regarding rear OEM Sachs, is it serviceable?

Thanks and sorry for nagging so much.

Carlos
dm620

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
WillS

« Reply #4013 on: July 10, 2011, 07:16:49 AM »

5.1 can be used
5 is a different base and is used on harleys
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #4014 on: July 10, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »

Maybe she thinks naked bikes have been crashed and the plastic has been trashed... Grin

Apparently he convinced her - the bike goes bye-bye at 1000 today.   boo

It's ok - it gives me a reason to buy a new one in the spring.   waytogo

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #4015 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »

Apparently he convinced her - the bike goes bye-bye at 1000 today.   boo

Cool... waytogo

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4016 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »

5.1 can be used
5 is a different base and is used on harleys

A very good, more comprehensive read.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4017 on: July 10, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »

Cool... waytogo

+1

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #4018 on: July 10, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »

You do know it's still riding season through November in these parts, right?   Evil

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4019 on: July 10, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »

A very good, more comprehensive read.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html
[/quote

Thank you ... Now I'm more clear ... no DOT5 and DOT5.1 if I'm racing !!!

Carlos
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: