Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 12:24:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 112   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Sightings  (Read 278400 times)

« Reply #1320 on: December 16, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »

I have an upcoming dissertation on the soul of bikes and their riders.  

I await..... bow down drool

.uoy rof ti dexiF
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:02:52 PM by DRKWNG » Logged

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #1321 on: December 16, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »

That's informative.

Grin

The devil icon was my response to the soulless comment about the S1000RR w/out getting into weeds...but since you asked for it  coffee!    

Yes, at first glance, I could argue that my 1198 had more "character" than my S1000RR, or that the S1000RR makes it easier to ride-making it boring compared to a Ducati.

My counter argument is that we have all spent a lot of money on our Ducatis to make them "easier" to manage, ride and live with....starting w/ the exhaust and ECU out of necessity!  To me, the S1000RR is user friendly out of the crate.  While the bike's geometry, engine and fuel delivery makes it easier to ride, the rider must still know how to ride and is limited to his/her skill level and reaction time when entering a corner or launching from a start line.  Even with all the electronics (which both Ducs and BMW have) providing a safety net for some rider errors, the electronics do no defy physics (especially gravity) when the rider makes a big mistake or fixates on a target.  

Even though my notes focus on my experience with 1198 and S1000RR...it's not really about Ducati vs BMW, but rather the individuals taste on V/L twin configuration vs I-4 engine technology.   In the end, all motorcycles serve as either a toy, a mode of transportation or both...it's all about the buyers balance of their desires, needs and their subjective sense of value and utility.

Thanks for the mental break from my Xmas shopping....now back to reality for me  boo
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:03:36 PM by freeflydive » Logged

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1322 on: December 16, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »

I'll reply when I haven't been drinking.   drink

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #1323 on: December 16, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »

LOL....

Just my opinion....but the images I have seen of the 998R...don't look nearly as good as your 848.

Other than the exclusivity of the 998R?.....plus yours has the Ohlin's front end!!! waytogo waytogo

There are those who would argue that there are no finer looking bikes than the Tamborini 916, etc. & I would not argue against that. The 998R does come with Ohlins front & rear and even if this particular bike was the genuine article I would still be tempted to swap the Ohlins off the 848 onto the 998 along with the braking system.   Evil  Then the 998 uses the early Testastretta engine which is a big plus. On top of that the R has a balanced crank and hot cams so that gives it a bit more power than the standard 999. Finally, you add analog gauges and headlights that might actually throw a usable beam.  What's not to like?

But a standard 999 testastretta is not enough for me to make the switch.  That's a good thing and leads me off that trail.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:05:12 PM by MacDuck » Logged

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1324 on: December 16, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »

I'll reply when I haven't been drinking.   drink

That's a good thing.   As for me, I'm going to pop a bottle right now while I'm still sorting this all out and getting ready to put it down on paper, so to speak.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1325 on: December 16, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

Ass. 

Grin

And even though this is the wrong thread, Kujo Imperial Stout is pretty tasty.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.

« Reply #1326 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »

There are those who would argue that there are no finer looking bikes than the Tamborini 916, etc. & I would not argue against that. The 998R does come with Ohlins front & rear and even if this particular bike was the genuine article I would still be tempted to swap the Ohlins off the 848 onto the 998 along with the braking system.   Evil  Then the 998 uses the early Testastretta engine which is a big plus. On top of that the R has a balanced crank and hot cams so that gives it a bit more power than the standard 999. Finally, you add analog gauges and headlights that might actually throw a usable beam.  What's not to like?

But a standard 999 testastretta is not enough for me to make the switch.  That's a good thing and leads me off that trail.

MD you are just too "Ducati" smart / knowledgable !!
All I am saying is your bike is better looking......IMHO     waytogo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:22:50 PM by 118811 » Logged

Thermite

It's not my brain that's getting fried here!

« Reply #1327 on: December 17, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »

You lost me.  It's a 998 or a 999?

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1328 on: December 17, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »

You lost me.  It's a 998 or a 999?

It's a 998 but they had a very early version of the 999 Testastretta engine in them. Not like the Desmoquatro in the 996.

Thermite

« Reply #1329 on: December 18, 2012, 11:34:33 PM »

It's a 998 but they had a very early version of the 999 Testastretta engine in them. Not like the Desmoquatro in the 996.

More losterer still.  I thought the R had a deep sump 998 Testa, while the Matrix and the FE were the standard 998 Testa like the '02 and '03.

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1330 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:53 AM »

More losterer still.  I thought the R had a deep sump 998 Testa, while the Matrix and the FE were the standard 998 Testa like the '02 and '03.

That's more accurate, I believe, which helps make a 998R all the more desirable. Thanks for the correction tweak!

Thermite

« Reply #1331 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »

The Matrix came without an owners manual and no shop manual was ever written for it.  I had to do some research to make sure I got the best-suited manuals.

The information I found for the R tells me it would have to be a 2004 Tamburini design with a deep-sump 998 Testa engine.  The rear would be Ohlins but IDK about the front.  Both the Matrix and the FE were fronted with fully adjustable Showa suspensions.  Since the R's were all pre-paid special orders they could be anything.

There was also a non-US "S" I believe but IDK if it was produced in 2004.

I had special interest in the R engine wondering how closely related it is to the 2006/2007 S4RT(S) which on paper generates about 15 HP more than the Matrix.

If it's an R that bike is über-rare.  What's the price tag?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:57:25 PM by Thermite » Logged

« Reply #1332 on: December 19, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »

The Matrix came without an owners manual and no shop manual was ever written for it.  I had to do some research to make sure I got the best-suited manuals.

The information I found for the R tells me it would have to be a 2004 Tamburini design with a deep-sump 998 Testa engine.  The rear would be Ohlins but IDK about the front.  Both the Matrix and the FE were fronted with fully adjustable Showa suspensions.  Since the R's were all pre-paid special orders they could be anything.

There was also a non-US "S" I believe but IDK if it was produced in 2004.

I had special interest in the R engine wondering how closely related it is to the 2006/2007 S4RT(S) which on paper generates about 15 HP more than the Matrix.

If it's an R that bike is über-rare.  What's the price tag?

$7495

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcd/3487948526.html

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1333 on: December 19, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »

It is most definitely not a "R".  It is only a plain 998 with some "R" bodywork. The bike was originally yellow. Doesn't even have a working ignition switch, only an on/off switch.

« Reply #1334 on: December 19, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »

MD...is the tank burgundy / red.....looks different?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:30:34 PM by 118811 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 112   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: