Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 04:43:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What FatDuc has done for me.  (Read 14656 times)
J.P.

« on: December 06, 2008, 05:01:13 AM »

06-S2R1K. 5K miles, quatD mid-pipe. Installed Manipulator 2 mo. ago, 500 miles. Setting at richer side of scale.
Formally had surging at 4100-4400, vibration at low end <3800 rpm, no idle problems since the boys at Redline fixed that at 600mi svc.
Had the O2 sensor unplugged for past year.
After Fat Duc: Surging gone(that made it worth the $80 right there). Similar to unplugged O2, No better low end smoothness-but doesn't smell as rich/ gassy. Better/stronger running at upper limits of open loop mode(4k-5k).
I like it- seems pretty tough- well better than every other stock Duc electrical device anyway. And Jason is great to deal w/.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »

I also bought a FATDUC from Jason and so far am very happy. waytogo
I didnt get to put many miles on the bike before the winter hit, but I def. noticed the bike
running smoother across all RPm ranges, and def. seemed to pull harder at tollway speeds..

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
billg69gmc

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »

i know im repeating from previous posts... installed it in sept. (pre circuit board beta model)
Now a few thousand miles later.
I've backed off some to try to lean it out just enough.
I think the trick is to ride it a week or so, then back off a few degrees.
If I understand it all correctly, even at the lowest setting, it is still "adding" fuel.
Either way, I have not ended back at the point where the bike is backfiring, surging or the 4k dead zone reappearing.

Now with the air temps in the mid 30's on some mornings, still  starts right up.
I ride thru winter and pretty much exclusively on the S2R. My ST3s is on life support (tender).
This past Thanksgiving took the S2R to Fla. Six hours each way. Gas mileage was quite good.
Somewhere between 45 and 48 mpg. Mostly 6 gear 70+ mph. I wish I wrote down the odometer reading before leaving. I have come to believe that apart from stopping every hour and a half (which is probably good for your legs) the monster is a capable bike to take on long trips.

2010 StreetFighter S     2008 Hym1100     2006 S2R1k
accrocker

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »

0-500 ohm variable resistor from local electrical supply store.... 50 cents
spare lengths of 12 guage wiring and heat shrink from work.... 0 cents
2 hours of my time and a free bosch oxygen sensor wiring diagram sourced online.... 0 cents

no more low speed stalling/popping/surging and flawless cold starts without the need to use the fast idle lever.... PRICELESS applause

07 monster 695, tail chop, custom flashed dp ecu (no more immobilizer!!) high mount marving megaphones, pod filters and an Acewell 4000 gauge set
DucNrun

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »

Bump for shits and giggles.  There's got to be more of you on this board that are trying this thing out.  I just installed one on my S4RS.  I'm running with a full CF Arrow system, stock airbox and filter.  I took it for a spin today.  The weather was cool--in the low to mid 50's.  With the Fat Duc set just shy of the 3 O'Clock position, the bike started right up and the idle seemed to be holding steady at 1200 RPM.  I rode a 25 mile loop which included a fair mix of city, backroads, and interstate.  Rolling on the throttle at lower RPMs was much smoother.  Rolling off the throttle at varying RPMs produced a burbling sound but I can only recall a couple of times where the bike popped on decel.  It's been raining a lot so I haven't been riding too much.  I want to toy with it some more and see if I can get it dialed in a little better.  I'm not convinced that my bike is running as good as it could be.
greenmonster

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:17:35 AM »

a free bosch oxygen sensor wiring diagram sourced online....

Would you care to share that info/link?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
J.P.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »

Also interested in what settings people are trying for specific bikes.
On my s2r1k- stock mufflers, quat d mid pipe, I got it set at 1/8 turn from full rich. Smells rich, kinda lugs in the low range still. It just takes a while for the ecu to self adjust, for me a couple weeks between adjustments. Not riding that much.
Where are you guys setting the little screw at?

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
billg69gmc

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:40:13 PM »

I started at about the "silver dot", then backed off. Sorta had too gassy a smell on startups. Kept backing off until it ran crappy again. (low rpm instability / 4k dead spot) then richened up back to my last setting. Haven't touched it since.

Most have said that you should give it some time to run-in. Let the bike get up to temp with a fair ride before thinking of tweaking again. That is how I ended up where I'm at. So while it is a lean setting, it is richer than stock. The unit will even at its lowest setting still be a richer than stock setting. (at least that is my understanding)

accrocker

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »

I just googled bosch 02 sensor wiring diagram and it came up with a ton of links. If I have time, and remember tomorrow, I will try and take some pictures of my setup. It came out really clean, and you would never notice it if you weren't looking for it.

07 monster 695, tail chop, custom flashed dp ecu (no more immobilizer!!) high mount marving megaphones, pod filters and an Acewell 4000 gauge set
Greg

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 05:52:51 AM »

Also interested in what settings people are trying for specific bikes.
On my s2r1k- stock mufflers, quat d mid pipe, I got it set at 1/8 turn from full rich. Smells rich, kinda lugs in the low range still. It just takes a while for the ecu to self adjust, for me a couple weeks between adjustments. Not riding that much.
Where are you guys setting the little screw at?

I installed mine about a month ago on my 2006 S2R-1000 which has a stock motor except for the full Zard exhaust. I've tried messing with the screw quite a bit and have finally settled on full LEAN. Even at this setting it still smells rich when idling and my mileage has dropped from 48-50 to 40-44.
On the positive side I have noticed better power in the 4-5K range and I can hold 6th gear better at 65-75, where as before it used to lug and vibrate so bad that I would normally use 5th until 80mph.
If I could lean it out even more, I would, but I'm still happy with the product. I might try unplugging it again and comparing the stock directly against the full lean condition.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Smokescreen

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »

I'm enjoying the extra punch down low now that the 3500RPM range is useable.  This seriously improves the bike's feel in around town riding. 

Mileage has suffered a little, but I've still got mine set to the factory dash; I think I'll lean it out a little tomorrow and see what that does.

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Mike_D

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:14 AM »

I have a 2008 S2R1K with full CF arrow system, stock airbox and filter.  I started out with the setting at the 3:00 position and while the idle was fine and the surging had disappeared, it lugged down low.  I have since leaned it out a bit and it runs alot better--now at the half-way position with almost no popping on deceleration.  Still seems a little rich, but maybe I just need to let the ECU settle in.  The good thing is the engine pulls harder and acceleration through the gears is now silky smooth whereas before it was a little uneven.  The bad thing is the weather has been crappy so I haven't been on the bike for over 3 weeks.   

2008 S2R 1k.  Black.  Pazzo Levers, 14 t front sprocket, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, Cycle Cat Frame Sliders,  Oberon open clutch cover and gold/black EVR pressure plate, full Arrow exhaust with reflashed and mapped ECU, tail chop with gold Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals, Ohlins rear shock and Rizoma fluid reservoirs.
skoobeesnak
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:08:46 AM »

A question for the guys that have had it installed for a while.  My '06 S2R 1K doesn't want to idle when cold at all, in fact I have to keep the revs up at stop lights for the first 10 minutes or so of riding it so it won't die.  Would the fat duc help that?  Other than that the bike runs fine other than the low rpm stumbling below 3800 rpm.  Looking for a lower cost solution to the $550 ECU reflash.  Oh and my bike is completely stock motorwise and exhaust.  Thanks in advance.
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »

Try messing with your air bleed screws (i believe)...

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
billg69gmc

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »

My 06 S2R1k does have to run for a few minutes in cold weather to properly idle. I think the combination of a really cold engine and cold oil probably account for this... maybe give some credit to the stepper motor. I need to throw a lighter oil in and see if that eliminates one possibility. Otherwise after it reaches operating temps, smooth as silk with a real low idle. I'm hesitant to mess with it since it is running well, so I will put up with the occasional stall during warm up on cold days.

Anyone think its the stepper versus the oil versus the air temp telling the ecu to tune differently than on a warm day?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: