Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any locals know how to core/gut the muffler?  (Read 2940 times)
sea bass

« on: May 08, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »

I just got a M620 and I love it.  I don't want to spend money on some slip-ons right now, so anyone know where I can get my pipes gutted for cheap?
duckwrench13

This thing sounds broken...

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »

I see you made it over. Welcome! Did you go up top and introduce yourself yet?

Gutting your stock cans is easier said than done. I recently opened up a pair of 748 OEM cans, and there's a lot of welded in baffles, etc. It's just not worth the time and effort.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
Combat Veteran, Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan 2006-2007
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:31:22 AM »

The pipes with all of the internals removed don't sound good to me.  Not like a good set of Termignoni pipes would.  They're usually just loud and obnoxious.

But a half-mod sounds much better than stock and isn't hard to do.  With a bandsaw I could modify those pipes in less than half an hour.  When I did mine, years ago, I spent several hours on it using a hacksaw and muscle power.  I bought a pack of about a dozen blades, since they tend to wear out cutting steel like that.

If you cut off three inches and remove the center tube, you get the good sound without too much work.  You just need an electric drill to make holes to reattach the endcap and a pop rivet gun to attach it.

The disadvantage of this method is that you don't get much of a weight loss.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:12:55 AM »

The pipes with all of the internals removed don't sound good to me.  Not like a good set of Termignoni pipes would.  They're usually just loud and obnoxious.

But a half-mod sounds much better than stock and isn't hard to do.  With a bandsaw I could modify those pipes in less than half an hour.  When I did mine, years ago, I spent several hours on it using a hacksaw and muscle power.  I bought a pack of about a dozen blades, since they tend to wear out cutting steel like that.

If you cut off three inches and remove the center tube, you get the good sound without too much work.  You just need an electric drill to make holes to reattach the endcap and a pop rivet gun to attach it.

The disadvantage of this method is that you don't get much of a weight loss.
I know this is blasphemy but my dad went through the same thing with his.... dun dun dun... Harley. Cutting down the internal baffling sounded much better then when he completely cored it out. Like Scott said it just became loud and obnoxious, but it was too late and he had to wait until they came out with exhaust utilizing the O2 sensor on his model.
Labbedds

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:01:09 AM »

You don't have to core the entire muffler.  I used a dremel and a whole bunch of cut-off wheels and cored 1/3 of the muffler, sounded great and it's free unlike $1500 termi's.

Wawawiwa
Kaveh

Dirka Dirka

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »

for his 620, Sea Bass can find a decent pair of used slip-ons for less that $400.

I agree with Scoot and Donovan, slightly cored cans sound better than fully cored. BUT, neither of them compare to a proper slip-on, my favorite is arrow (the 105db's with teh larger outlet), but Termi's are pretty freakin' awesome too  :e:v

Labbedds

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »

I agree, but in his original post he said he "doesn't want to spend money on slip-ons", so a core would be the best option in this case.  If you have questions on the 1/3 core I did shoot me a pm and I'll walk you through it. coffee

Wawawiwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: