Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:31:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a question to folks in the RTP area.  (Read 2735 times)
yamifixer

« on: September 04, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »

with the huricane season plum on top of us i have a question for those of you that have lived there for a while. is the RTP area far enough to go with the puppies if a big one heads for the cape fear area? I doubt i want to stay here for a cat 3+

'00 M900Sie, '66 Benelli Fireball, '70 Honda Z50
Valve Springs are EVIL
ntnunk

2008 S4RS Tricolore #014

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »

This is just my opinion, but as a Eastern NC native, if I were going to leave my house to avoid a hurricane I'd go farther inland than RTP.  It tends to not get hit nearly as bad as the coastal areas, or even the coastal plain where I grew up (Goldsboro), but it's gotten hammered a few times. If you're going through the trouble to leave home go ahead and spend another hour or two in the car and find someplace where you're likely not to see anything but some rain.
Rameses

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »

Having been in Chapel Hill for Fran, I'd say no.

Personally, if I were to leave the beach to dodge a hurricane, I'd head inland and farther south than the triangle.

Depending on the projected path, maybe Greenville SC, Augusta, or Atlanta.

stateprez

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »

All that they're calling for in Charlotte is 60% chance for showers on Saturday.  Plus, I have 3 hurricane parties to attend...

Now I'm going to go knock on wood so that thing doesn't rip my week-old roof off my house.

'03 999 Mono
yamifixer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »

thanks. i'm riding Hanna out but ike looks sick so i figured i'd ask. I'm a transplanted northerner. i know lots about blizzards

'00 M900Sie, '66 Benelli Fireball, '70 Honda Z50
Valve Springs are EVIL
Sparky1479

Sparks fly...

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »

I am new to this area, and I never imagined I moved to a place where hurricanes are a real threat...

I guess Ike might prove me wrong, but I would imagine that anywhere inland is better than on the coast.
Paradux

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »

My wife and I are also much more familiar with blizzards than hurricanes, but in our limited experience we've come to the conclusion that anything that hits our coast stronger than a cat 2 is enough reason to get out of the triangle. Only had one hurricane hit NC since we moved here, and it was only a cat 2, but we were w/o power for a couple days. Not fun w/kids. I'd suggest looking at CLT and west/south given how Ike is shaping up.

When one of a good thing just isn't enough

2007 SennaStrada 1100S
2007 Team USA 999S
superjohn

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »

I've been through a few Cat 3's or less and they're no big deal. A Cat 5 is still going to be pretty strong by the time it gets here. Generally speaking though, it's just a lot of rain.

ncgt1000

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 04:02:30 AM »

I've lived in the RTP area since 1990.  Moved here to avoid the blizzards!  Seen a couple of storms, including Fran.  Wind and rain can be big concerns but the biggest problem is living without electric power when your house is all electric.  Batten down the hatches, move everything that can get blown away to a safe place, make sure you've got a couple of days worth of supplies and you'll be alright.  I've now got a 12.5K portable generator in the garage.  Runs the fridge, the well pump, a couple of lights and fans.  Haven't tried running the TV, yet!

'07 GT1000 - with mods of course
superjohn

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »

I've lived in the RTP area since 1990.  Moved here to avoid the blizzards!  Seen a couple of storms, including Fran.  Wind and rain can be big concerns but the biggest problem is living without electric power when your house is all electric.  Batten down the hatches, move everything that can get blown away to a safe place, make sure you've got a couple of days worth of supplies and you'll be alright.  I've now got a 12.5K portable generator in the garage.  Runs the fridge, the well pump, a couple of lights and fans.  Haven't tried running the TV, yet!

Yeah, I went out and bought a grill after the last power outage. That was an ice storm though. After reading 3 books, I needed electronic entertainment, so I went out and sat in my car listening to the radio  laughingdp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: