Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:40:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To : Install a new dry clutch pressure plate  (Read 48804 times)
ponitora

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:05 PM »

I was just wondering why anyone would replace the clutch pressure plate when the old one worked just fine? bow down
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 01:34:58 AM »

Theres 3 main reasons atleast for me

a) because if you ride without a clutch cover, having a plate that protects the post is very important and could save your clutch posts if you went down.
b) becasuse of the bling factor
c) to ward of zombies.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »

Theres 3 main reasons atleast for me

c) to ward of zombies.

Rizoma anodizing has protective powers against zombies = Reason enough for me

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »

Rizoma anodizing has protective powers against zombies = Reason enough for me

Doesnt that fade in the sun? reducing Day time effectiveness?

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ponitora

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »

Well I wanted to replace my pressure plate because the clutch was so noisy.  It also made a strange whining sound that I have not heard before on my other bikes which have wet clutches. For example my Moto Guzzi California which is an awesome ride and is very quiet and unassuming.  I don't ride the Duc much anymore since it is so noisy with a lot of mechanical clatter which is prone to distract and annoy automobile drivers. And since the bike is yellow, I noticed my dog regularly lifting his leg in the general realm of the clutch area. That may also explain the acidic decomposition and corrosion present on the old clutch pressure plate surface, another reason for replacing the old plate.  When I replaced the pressure plate I got busy and forgot to line up the notched post with the notch on the new plate.  Even though the clutch went to together fine,  when I test rode the bike, the prone position piston launched out of the cylinder head and struck a bicyclist in the bike lane, fatllay injuring him. Now facing jail time for unintentional homicide, joking about deadly zombies in relation to clutch problems like that is (are?) not funny.  bang head   
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 08:37:54 PM »

Sooo, the piston shot out of the cylinder head, went through the tyre and wheel, and still had enough force to kill someone?

I smell troll

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

make the beast with two backs EL MATADOR, DIDNT YOU READ YOUR MANUAL.

HE ISNT A TROLL HES A make the beast with two backsING ZOMBIE. SOMEONE DIDNT LINE UP THE POST.

make the beast with two backs make the beast with two backs make the beast with two backs, LOAD UP!

ponitora

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »

heheh well maybe I don't have fancy jpegs with screaming bananas on my head.  Vino! Vino!
but you really are facing QUITE a challenge here.

you challenged zombies.
now zombies challenge you.
just like in iraq.

sure go ahead and laugh at all that.
but you have no idea who or WHAT you are dealing with.

www.poto.com
[and that alignment notch is really wicked as in the Mark of the Beast.] bacon
ponitora

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »

heheh well maybe I don't have fancy jpegs with screaming bananas on my head.  Vino! Vino!

you challenged zombies.
just like in iraq.

www.poto.com
[and that alignment notch is really wicked as in the Mark of the Beast.] bacon

Seriously I would like to comment on the point of tightening the spring tension Allen bolts to the correct torque.
I over-tightened the spring bolts and found that the pressure plate did not line up equidistant all 'round with the clutch out, because the depth of the bolts varied due to uneven tightening torque.
I corrected by using a dial gage against the plate flats and re-snugging the bolts with equal reading on the dial gage as the engine was rotated with the clutch out (using an assistant).
Due to legal difficulties I could only do this on a conjugal visit. waytogo

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »

you challenged zombies.
just like in iraq.

Those aren't Bananas. They are zombie warding garlic knots (the kind you find at a pizzeria).
Iraq...hmmmmm your right we challenged Iraq to the DSRL!!!!!!!
I know exactly WHAT i'm dealing with. A ZOMBIE.  as noted you messed up the alignment thus zombies came to attack you and now you are one of them. Makes sense doesnt it?
May I ask, are you the Resident Evil type? or the 28 ddays later type? RE = Pistols and Shotguns, 28 days later = assault rifles and grenade launchers

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »

Seriously I would like to comment on the point of tightening the spring tension Allen bolts to the correct torque.
I over-tightened the spring bolts and found that the pressure plate did not line up equidistant all 'round with the clutch out, because the depth of the bolts varied due to uneven tightening torque.
I corrected by using a dial gage against the plate flats and re-snugging the bolts with equal reading on the dial gage as the engine was rotated with the clutch out (using an assistant).
Due to legal difficulties I could only do this on a conjugal visit. waytogo

The bolts clamp the spring caps to the posts, they should be tight.

Capo de tuti capi
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:02 AM »

Just had to comment re: lining up the notch.

I only just found out about the notch and it's corresponding post within the last week.  I've had pressure plates off multiple Ducatis, multiple times and never knew to line that up.  I think the odds of me lining up the notches by accident each time would be astronomical.

That leads me to believe that most of the time (if not all of the time) I reassembled things without lining up the notches.

I've logged many thousands of miles with things put together that way.

I have not, to my knowledge, been eaten by zombies and I am not, to my knowledge, currently a zombie myself.

Grin

My point is that I don't think the notch matters. 

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 03:27:23 AM »

I think make the beast with two backsing zombies have invaded my make the beast with two backsing keyboard coz whenever I wanna say "make the beast with two backs" the zombies turn it into a 2 backed make the beast with two backsing beast make the beast with two backser...

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »

Your use of the word make the beast with two backs comes through loud and clear.

make the beast with two backs!!!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 06:21:32 AM »

YOu need the new Ducati Performance M60E4 mount....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: