Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:27:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2V belt tension question (!!)  (Read 35221 times)
gr1976

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »

I did mine on my s2r1000 and it was much easier than I thought. I watched the CA Cycleworks vid and attempted to use the tuner they suggested on my laptop, but it was to sensitive no matter how I adjusted my audio input. I downloaded several tuners but found this online one to be the best.

http://www.seventhstring.com/tuner/tuner.html

set each  belt to 103Hz...so far so good
hackers2r

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »

I am thoroughly confused.  When reading the Ducati service manual for my S2R 800, it clearly states in "checking and adjusting timing belt tension" that the correct frequencies are 145 and 160 hz for the hor and ver cylinders respectively.  I've been going by the 5mm key for a very long time but decided to mess with some harmonic tuners and they were way tighter than the 5mm key method.  Do the S2R 800s have tighter belt tensions than other 2v?  I can't find anything going against the frequencies stated here in the workshop manual.  Thanks.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »

I'm not a expert in the matter - but it seems that the harmonic spec is a more recent invention. Older tech manuals called for a tool that was basically a spring scale you pressed onto the belt at a specific spot, did some mumbo jumbo and got it about right. While it seems a bit fancier than an allen key feeler, it's not that much different at the end of the day.  With a harmonic device, you don't need to put it in the right spot as much and you're letting a computer do the measuring. But back in 'the day' you couldn't whip out your smart phone and measure the frequency - so that sort of measurement wasn't as accessible (and cheap) is as it today.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »

.... But back in 'the day' you couldn't whip out your smart phone and measure the frequency ....

you mean .... there's an app for that?
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »

you mean .... there's an app for that?

Several.

Free
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/geek-out-five-essential-819/ - run a search in the app store - I couldn't sus up a link real fast
Pay
http://itunes.apple.com/app/tuna-pitch-chromatic-tuner/id313492710?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/app/stay-in-tune-chromatic-tuner/id285403537?mt=8

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »

I am thoroughly confused.  When reading the Ducati service manual for my S2R 800, it clearly states in "checking and adjusting timing belt tension" that the correct frequencies are 145 and 160 hz for the hor and ver cylinders respectively.  I've been going by the 5mm key for a very long time but decided to mess with some harmonic tuners and they were way tighter than the 5mm key method.  Do the S2R 800s have tighter belt tensions than other 2v?  I can't find anything going against the frequencies stated here in the workshop manual.  Thanks.
They didn't change anything on the design.

If you go with the factory spec your pulleys will be noisier and wear/fail sooner.

The machine Ducati uses is much more than a frequency checker. It also does the actual 'plucking' of the belt. They do it this way to get repeatable results in manufacturing. You can vary the results when plucking by hand easily.

Stick with the 5mm hex method for your 800 2V and be happy. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:09 AM »

Careful...Ducati revised the belt frequency spec on the M695 (and probably others) to something much lower.  See pg2 of this thread for info and a link to yet more info.

BK
hackers2r

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

Done and done...just confirmed this and retensioned to 110 hz.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:09 AM »

Stick with the 5mm hex method for your 800 2V and be happy. Wink

Yeah - now I'm remembering a wave of issues that cropped up on the S2R 1000, (and probably) 800 when they first hit the scene. The belts were too tight and causing the pulley bearings to burn up and seize. The very simple solution was looser belts.

5mm it is!

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
gr1976

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »

I got my belts from CA Cycleworks. The packaging states to tune between 99 Hz and 110 Hz for the S2R 1000. I got very repeatable results using the online tuner I mentioned above and the "pluck point" shown in the service manual. I aslo used a thick 2" washer that had smooth edges to pluck the belt as I was having trouble plucking it hard enough with my fingers.
bikepilot

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:35 PM »

I checked the tension on the wife's 620 and found the belt rather loose.  An 8mm key slipped through with no effort.  I snugged them up so that a 6mm slipped through with moderate effort and a 5mm slipped through fairly easily.  Supposedly it had new belts within the last 1k miles, but they don't look all that new to me so I'm putting on new ones for peace of mind very shortly, just need to order them up Smiley  Someone has been into the valves very recently though as several of the inspection cover bolts are clean and shiny while most were grungy.

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Armor

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »

I have found when I replace the belts on my M1000, the bike runs noticeably better.  I attribute this to tight belts verses the loose old belts affecting the cam timing.  I think this is why Ducati specifies tight belts, at least on the DS motors.  Too tight and you can ruin the tensioner bearings, too loose and you lose performance.  That is why you check harmonics to get it just right.

04 M1000s, Arrows, Light Flywheel, Ohlins suspension
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »

They run much better with proper valve clearances, rather than the cost based new tolerances...

than they ever would with harmonically adjusted belts.

Just sayin'.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »

It's a shame We have to go through all this "harmonic" belt tensioning process, it's like Harley setting up steering head preload with a string, pully and weights!!  There has got to be a static adjustment at ambient temp.to set the belts?  Or You just poke and hope, kinda' like pull out and pray...I have seen some Dealer set belts that were very tight at operating temp.  Wish We could find a positive setting that works, without the drama and guesswork. just sayin' , Roll Eyes

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Armor

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »

The FIM banned Aprilla from using gear driven cams because the bikes were much faster than the stock chain driven cams.  I couldn't believe how much better my bike ran when I replaced my belts last summer.  I used a program that gives a digital readout for the frequency.  It was pretty easy to use.

04 M1000s, Arrows, Light Flywheel, Ohlins suspension
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: