Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 08:32:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

CA-Cycleworks

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypermotard: larger tank  (Read 17577 times)
hbliam
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:27:50 PM »

Chris is going to be cool enough to produce a larger tank for the Hyper after we get 25 ish people on a list. IF you have a hyper and want a larger tank either PM me here to get on the interest list or go to : http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=481599#post481599 read the thread and sign up there per the instructions.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »

Chris is going to be cool enough to produce a larger tank for the Hyper after we get 25 ish people on a list. IF you have a hyper and want a larger tank either PM me here to get on the interest list or go to : http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=481599#post481599 read the thread and sign up there per the instructions.
Kinda sad that Chris wouldn't post that here himself.

We made a mistake.

I think he should get over it.

Pretty sure Ducati .ms is the 'other' team.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:56:54 AM »

You are correct sir.

hbliam
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:45:04 PM »

We made a mistake.

I posted it here and I also started the thread at .ms. Chris wouldn't start a thread anywhere to try to raise interest in a product so that he could justify producing it. I posted it there because it's the only board that has a large, active hypermotard section. In less then two weeks we had about 30 guys on the list and now Chris is moving forward with the R&D for the tank.

Let's not turn this thread into anything it isn't. I just wanted to alert others that may be interested in a larger tank. I also linked to the other site because that's where the critical mass is posting up.

CannedIce

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:04:38 AM »

We made a mistake.

hbliam is correct, Chris had no hand in creating that post on Ducati.ms and has no hard feelings towards this board whatsoever. Thank you hbliam for setting the record straight! waytogo

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
CannedIce

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »

We made a mistake.

I spoke with Chris about this thread today and he said he didn't think there would be as great a demand for Hypermotard tanks on a Monster Forum. Again though, he didn't originally post the thread and barely has time to cruise the forums these days anyway. We have been working hard on our new website technology and Chris has been doing some looonnngg hours. That said, he doesn't have time to worry about holding grudges against stupid mistakes.

Lets move on shall we...

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »

I guess I owe Chris an apology.

It seemed that since he hadn't made any use of his advertising dollar there were hard feelings.

I stand corrected.

Case closed.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

hbliam
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »

.ms hypermotard tank thread is now 50 pages/497 posts/and over 30K views. You can wade through it if you want to see the step by step progression from interest list to what's now the final production stages. You can also get your order in so you can have a 6.43 gallon Hyper and do a 250 mile run without need for more then your morning fill up (instead of the previous three (!) fill ups).

Good job Chris!  applause

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=51068&page=50
hbliam
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »

Mission accomplished:

hbliam
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »

I just finished installing my new tank and posted up some notes over on the .ms thread:

Finished. Total time 3.5 hours. Now that I know how to remove the airbox, how to situate the solinoid, and the routing of the cables, I guess I could install another tank in less then two hours.

Took a gas can to station and got exactly one gallon of fuel. Put that in bike, checked for leaks (none), and rode bike the 3/10's of a mile to the station and pumped another 5.61 gallons into tank. Stopped at bottom of fuel filler neck like usual. Got off bike and checked for leaks (none).

Note: fuel light came on while riding to station. So....at minimum we (I) have at least one gallon of fuel left when light comes on...or at least 30 miles in my mind.

Bike runs fine, actually a bit better for me. I just installed the full termi kit with race ECU and had some popping on decel. That's gone now. Did a short 10 mile run with a couple twisty sections and the bike felt fine. When I first rode out of the station I "felt" the added fuel. By the time I got to the end of the street it felt "normal" again. Bike also felt pretty much the same on the twisty sections.

I was pleasantly surprised during the install that everything fit. I've installed a lot of Ducati Performance and other manufacturer parts and always had to fudge something somewhere. The HM69 tank went right in, no stripped screws on the HM69, seat fit, bodywork fit, etc.

I did (do) have a problem with one screw on the rear of the stock tank that is stripped. It's the one on the rear bottom that goes into a rubber grrommet that is attached to the frame. Mine won't come out. Not really needed to install so I skipped it but I will install the screw in a few days.

I also (not per the instructions) just removed the two front rubber post's that the tank notches onto to. It IMO made removing the tank easier as it comes straight up and then the new one drops straight down. It was very easy to reinstall them with the new tank in place.

Some things that may be obvious ('especially if you read the instructions):

-the front or horizontal coil is installed after you install the tank.
-there is a bolt on the bottom of the airbox that must be removed before the airbox will come out.
-don't remove the fuel filler flange (and gas cap) until the tank is off the bike and empty. I left mine on and pulled the tank free before I removed the fuel pump flange. The tank was still "connected" to the bike but I then postioned it so that the gallon or so of fuel I had in the tank drained back toward the filler flange. I then pulled the pump flange and walked the tank out of my garage to drain. No spilled fuel.
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »

I am suddenly tempted by a hyper S.

very cool.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Got Duc

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »

What did the tanks end up costing?

Do you have any pictures on your 'tard

Why do roaches always die on their back?

That because the survivors flip them over to steal their sneakers and wallets.
Mother
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:57:11 AM »

The one and only drawback to the HM for me was the range, this is a seriously cool mod
CannedIce

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »

What did the tanks end up costing?

Do you have any pictures on your 'tard

The tanks are $799 retail.

Pictures are here: http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/gallery/?dir=Fuel_tanks%2FHM1100 and http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/gallery/index.php?display=Fuel_tanks%2FHM1100%2Fhm69_installed.jpg

Smiley

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
hbliam
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:02:06 AM »

208 miles on one tank. Grin..and that's with a full termi kit with ecu dumping more fuel. Stock I was getting about 40 MPG which would yield at least 260 miles per tank.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: