Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:38:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricky tricky Apex Clip-Ons  (Read 8214 times)
NAKID

« on: May 08, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »

Well, I started quite the project tonight. I figured it would take me an hour tops. Well, I quit after 2.5 hours.

I tried mounting them above the triple. All was fie until I tried to mount the brake lever and MC. The line would just not reach no matter what.

So, despite the fact that I didn't want them below the triple, that was the route I was going to have to take. So, I loosened up the pinch bolts (again) and grabbed my bottle jack, a couple bricks and a block of wood.

Jack on the bricks, block of wood under the left side of the front head, and started lifting. Ran into the next obstacle, the brake lines were pulling taught before the forks were low enough to get the new clamps on.

So I had to remove the brake calipers, only you can't remove them with the wheel on, so I just let them hang and started lifting again.

Now they started pushing on the front fender. So that was the next thing to come off.

Started lifting again and the brake lines were just about at their max. One more thing to try, unbolt the bottom of the "U" bracket so the lines could get just a little more slack.

That worked and I was able to get the clamps on.

There was the next obstacle, the clamps installed as intended, would hit the headlight mount. Switching the right for the left wouldn't work either because the bars would be at an upward agle, not down like they should.

Solution? Turn the clamps upside down. The pinch bolts for the clamps wouldn't hit the headlight mount and the bars would be at the proper downward angle.

I decided to quit for the night when I realized that I would still need to remove the fairing, headlight and gauges so the brake and clutch lines will reach.

Hindsight? The lines MAY have reached if they were routed under the gauges and still mounted above the triple. Now the question is, do I really want to take the whole thing apart again to find out? Stay tuned, I'll probably work on it tomorrow after I get home from work.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Dietrich

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »

I was wondering where you were....Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »

he,he......... i totaly sympathize with you dude. figuring out how to make it all work was a major PITA when i recently put on my clip ons. fwi, i removed the top triple to put mine on, so didnt have to mess with wheel/fender/brake issues like you mentioned.

any who,......good luck, and post up when the product is ready for market wt:

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
NAKID

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:33:07 AM »

Well, it's done. I decided to remove them again and put them on top. I left them uspide down because it seems easier to get to averything. I completely removed everything from the front end, headlight, fairing, u bracket, etc to get the lines routed just right to make it fit. I still may cut off the back part of the upper fairing mount so it's not such a tight fit for the brake and clutch lines.

So, clipons above the triple, adjusted the levers for a good down angle, headlight readjusted and everything tightened back up.

Since it's 230 AM here, I'll wait til tomorrow to get a couple pics and post up. So far, I like them...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Monstyr

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:23:07 PM »

Glad you found a solution.
Installing clip ons is the most frustrating job I've done and theres no short cuts as such, basic trial and error everytime. I'd say if you are planning to install clip ons then you should also budget for new lines as the oe ones just wont fit, I also had to use a split line rather than two complete lines as the double banjo at the master fouled the headlight, and also a few days and a few cases of beer, theres nothing that cant be solved by drinking beer and staring at it for a few hours waytogo. There is absolutely nothing so frustrating as finding out your set up wont work because of an unforseen poxy little problem forcing you to stop and fix it, in my case a new banjo bolt for the master cylinder, if I'd forseen that I'd have bought one and had it sitting ready rather than leave my bike looking like a roadwreck while I then had to go and get one a few days later.
As much as you didn't want to at first, taking the front apart makes things a whole lot easier, otherwise its too much of a task to then have to do the fiddly little job chains to enable something that would otherwise be a simple task.
As in any job the sequence is important to make things straightforward, however there seems no set way to fit clip ons and everyone seems to do it slightly differently which is why it seems such a pain when you do it yourself. When its finished you feel really satisfied though as its like working out a puzzle rather than bolting some bling on. chug

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
NAKID

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:37:39 AM »

Lines work for me. The split brake line is stock on mine. I am considering trimming a little off the ends of the faring mount so there is no question about the lines...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:14:21 AM »

Had a similar experience w/. someone's bike and those clip-ons...

hahaha

Q bang head

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
Jnaids07

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »

Ahhhh, brings back not so good memories. 

Not only did I install clip-ons, but I also thought it would be fun to add the headlight/gauge lowering project into the mix.  Talk about compounding an already complicated issue.   bang head

But.. I finished the project and it looks great now.   waytogo

| '04 M620 Capirex | DP Remus High Exhaust | Open Air Box w/ K&N Filter | 14t Front Sprocket | Apex Clip-Ons | Rizoma Billet Grips | CRG Hindsight LS Mirrors | Lowered Gauges/Fairing/Headlight/Signals | HID Headlight | CC Frame Sliders | Carbon Pieces | Wire Ties / Reflectors / Stickers Removed |
ICON
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »

Let's see some pics on them clipons sir.  coffee

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 07:36:01 AM by ICON » Logged
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:48 AM »

NAKID, was it that bad? i help chcadder install his and it took just as long, but we figured with piss cup resoviors it would a lot easier.

Defintely want  to see some pics man!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
NAKID

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »

Nope, not really any easier. You still run into some clearance issues. Those are all resolved now so I should be fine. I'll get pics up soon...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »

I really like the rizoma reservoirs - did you do the rear brake also?  I've looked at the Rizoma site and they are listed by volume/height/diameter and bottom or side outlet.  Could you give the rundown on what reservoirs you used?  Thanks!

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
NAKID

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »

OK here's some pics

Haley checking out the new clip-ons

Haley in Full Tuck

Cockpit shot

Side view

Here's a couple shot of the parts I needed to trim so the lines wouldn't bind

And

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »

have you accounted for the front being dropped? I would love to run my clip ons on top. Your kids hardcore, got a nice tat already. laughingdp

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
NAKID

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »

Well, I tried, but it looks like the rear is already as low as possible...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: