Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:12:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviving an old friend  (Read 6007 times)
SacDuc

WWSDD?

« on: May 09, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »

So my bike has bee sitting around for a several months. I've been putt-putting about on the wife's bike now and then, but my beloved has rust, cobwebs, etc.  Cry
I guess I need a check list of things to look for as I start bringing her back to life. Anything I should look at for safety or common problems that will keep me from throwing my hands up and saying, "NOW why won't it start!!"

She's an '01 m750.

Thanks.

sac

HATERS GONNA HATE.
Juan

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:47:43 AM »

Among many things you may have to replace your chain, battery, check tire pressure,
Maybe even replacing gas ..! etc.

SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:01:56 AM »

Among many things you may have to replace your chain, battery, check tire pressure,
Maybe even replacing gas ..! etc.

Juan! How are you? Still teaching the Bay Area folks how to pretty up their bikes?

Thanks for the tips.

HATERS GONNA HATE.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »

Carbs eh?

If you didn't put sabilizer in the fuel.. (if you did you can probably skip 1 and 2)

Drain all gas
Clean carbs
New plugs
Charage/Check battery - replace if needed

Once it's running
Flush haydraulics
Do what Juan said

Erm.. I'm missing something here... but heads not in it 100%

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:13:13 AM »

Shouldn't we tell him he's a total noob if he doesn't replace his belts and all other rubber parts?

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »

He said it's been sitting for several months, not several years.  Let's not get too crazy.  The battery's a given, unless it's been on a tender.  The gas (may) be toast, and the carbs (may) be plugged.  I just had a KTM that sat for a full year, with gas that was as stale smelling as it gets, fire off on the first kick and run like a champ with nothing more than a simple carb clean because the pilot jet was clogged.  Before you go crazy and tear into it, go for a fresh battery and fresh gas and see what it does.  It may surprise you.  If it had good maintenance before sitting, there's no reason it should need massive replacement of parts unless they're genuinely worn and/or failing.  But mainly, be sure to clean off the spiders.  Those nasty little buggers can bite!

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Juan

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »

Juan! How are you? Still teaching the Bay Area folks how to pretty up their bikes?

Thanks for the tips.

Good to hear from you as well man.. !! 

sydmonster
Street_Cred_Points.com CEO

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »

but my beloved has rust, cobwebs, etc.  Cry
Thanks.
sac
Call PETA and find a new home for your "tenants". - Chris Grin

.... i got nothing. As the lads said. Dump out old fuel, put in fresh. Charge battery and see what happens. I also suggest and oil & filter change too. It also ages like petrol.

...Sydmonster - down under
Contact me about your mods and what Street Cred Points you can earn!
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »

Battery's a given Sacduc, as are the sparkplugs too.

If your vacuum petcock did it's job during the storage period (should have if there is still gas in the tank) AND your bike was parked on it's side-stand...THEN your vertical carb is your first stop. 

With the bike on it's side-stand the vertical carb becomes the lowest point in the fuel system so as the fuel goes bad and varnishes and evaporates the fuel that's after the petcock will flow to the lowest point.  Usually the horizontal carb is lightly varnished as the fuel in the float bowl goes bad...but the vertical carb gets the fuel in it's float bowl in addition to all the fuel past the petcock.

If you remove your oil cooler for access, you should be able to get to the float bowl w/o removing the carbs.

Good luck SD!

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:47 AM »

P.S. I was just kidding SD, up in the northern states we let our bikes sit for several months every year... It's called winter.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
duc996

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:18:04 AM »

1. change belts
2.drain all the fluids,gas,oil etc..
3.battery
4.tires

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:31:49 AM »

So actually SD, I'd say just change the gas if you didn't sta-bil it, charge the battery, check the tire pressure and ride.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: