Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:51:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gravel Sucks  (Read 2613 times)
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« on: September 28, 2008, 06:55:59 PM »

Such a beautiful morning, this morning.  So I took off for Deckers at about 7:30 a.m.  Riding my 1200 GT (yeah bad Pres, I know), I was able to pass all the gas stations in my path.  I had the XM Radio rocking and before I know it I'm at Deckers doing a friendly wave to the other 'hard core' BMW riders parked in front of the Fly Shop.  Not wanting stop while I was on a roll, I headed up on Hwy 126 with visions of Horsepower Hill in my head. 

Mind you I was riding solo and just 'taking it easy'.  No pushing hard, I was just riding within my comfort zone.   [moto]

I passed the trail head just before the base of Horsepower Hill happy to be coming out of those tiny twisties that eat my lunch.  Finally I could open up the 152 ponies  - and that I did.  As soon as the road morphed to 3 lanes I was at full throttle.  By the time I came out of the 7th turn I was full on the fuel grip and headed into  a nice right-hander that usually takes all the throttle you can give it.  At the apex I'm pushing 95 cents and looking at the left-hander about 400 yards up the mountain when I felt the rear wheel go.  Shocked Then the front went.   Shocked  Shocked   Followed closely by a tank slapper.   Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Suddenly I'm thinking "gravel, what freaking gravel?"  Huh?  Huh?  Huh? and preparing for the impending low side.  Sad  Sad  Sad  Just as fast as I lost it, I regained it and was feeling the effects of a shot of full adrenaline.    I roll off the throttle a bit check for gravel and keep heading up hill.  Mind you I stayed well below my normal riding speeds and headed for the scenic overlook on the backside of the hill where I stopped to check my tires before heading back down the hill. 

Coming back down the mountain I found the gravel that I missed the first time.   A patch of gravel about 6 ft wide and about 8 ft long and about 1/4 inch thick.  There was no other sign of gravel anywhere else on the road.  So I think to myself "Wow, how did you not see that?"  Shadows and speed.  The good news is that I was only riding to about 1/2 inch of chicken strips, and not my usual 1/4 inch strips.  That gave me enough tire to roll through the patch and saved what might have been an expensive repair bill and bumping landing for yours truly. 

Remember this is the Rockies and that freakin' granite gravel can appear anywhere.  So be careful!   waytogo
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:04:05 PM by SoCO DOG Pres » Logged

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »

WOW!!!  Shocked Glad you dodged that bullet prez!

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »

I take the  XR650 out at least once a month and burn gravel backroads,slide some corners at 50 - 60 mph, kind'a on the threshold of death,  Not only is it awsome fun but I feel it keeps you ready in the back of your mind, for thing's that happen. also teaches Me how to crash,as that happens too!!   I feel very strongly that everyone who rides a street bike should have some dirt track experiance.. glad to hear You didn't have a problem!  The Lord looked down and smiled!!

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »

That was the mischevious spirit of Dr. Taglioni punishing you for riding German.

Just kiddin', glad you and the bike are okay!  That does seem like a very strange spot for a patch of gravel.  Thanks for the heads up, we all gotta be careful out there.

Do you have the ASC (traction control) on your GT?
Gringo 999

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »

That was the mischevious spirit of Dr. Taglioni punishing you for riding German.

Just kiddin', glad you and the bike are okay!  That does seem like a very strange spot for a patch of gravel.  Thanks for the heads up, we all gotta be careful out there.

Do you have the ASC (traction control) on your GT?

The only traction control was my right hand rolling off the throttle when l lost the rear.  Just years of riding and knowing how to react to losing the rear.  I guess all those years of riding on gravel as a kid payed off... I really think the BMW dou-lever front end played a huge roll in keeping me on 2 wheels also by removing a lot of the vibration from the steering.   

I hit a small patch of gravel between Divide and Woodland Park a few years ago on my old K1200RS.  The difference was that I rolled over a 12 inch patch on a hard throttle pass (at about 80) and both wheels went at the same time.  I remember the horizontal slide quite well as I went sideways for about 6 ft before the bike caught clean pavement.  The difference was that my lean angle and my line stayed the same.  This past Sunday the rear came out to the left about 4 or 5 inches from the front line and the bike rolled to right and down.  I felt like a hypermotard rider.  I read an article a few months ago in Cycle World (I think) that talked about the more times you experience losing traction in situations like this make you a more confident rider.  I'm not sure about that... I rode to work today and was still checking for gravel everytime I leaned. 

J_Slyter

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »

Glad to hear that turned out ok. I noticed a big patch of gravel during our last club ride on HP Hill. I had the wick turned up pretty good passing those Harleys when I spotted it, so I couldn't move right, but both (car) tracks were clear so I just stayed in the left track and was fine. That is a weird spot for gravel though...it is totally unexpected and pretty much just in the passing lane as I recall (if it is even the same patch you hit).
Ducati900sp

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 05:23:55 AM »

WOW man I bet you nearly crapped yer self! Glad you were able to pull out of it!

On a similar note minus the gravel...I was on my way up to Chapel hills mall last Saturday and was taking Navada all the way onto I-25. As I was able to see that my turn was clear and free of traffic (no popo's), I got on the throttle and was coming in hot, I set up for the turn, down shift and touch the brakes a bit and now into the turn! About two thirds of the way through I'm back on the throttle and I feel the back end break loose and start to go sideways like I hit a patch of ice. After I drifted about 10 feet I let off the throttle and regained control! I went back later to look at the area for sand or dirt and noticed that the concrete was really smooth, smooth enough to show a glare from the sun. So if you take that route just be aware that the intersections there don't have alot of traction!

DUCATI-CAMPIONE DEL MONDO SUPERBIKE
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:17:51 AM »

WOW man I bet you nearly crapped yer self! Glad you were able to pull out of it!

On a similar note minus the gravel...I was on my way up to Chapel hills mall last Saturday and was taking Navada all the way onto I-25. As I was able to see that my turn was clear and free of traffic (no popo's), I got on the throttle and was coming in hot, I set up for the turn, down shift and touch the brakes a bit and now into the turn! About two thirds of the way through I'm back on the throttle and I feel the back end break loose and start to go sideways like I hit a patch of ice. After I drifted about 10 feet I let off the throttle and regained control! I went back later to look at the area for sand or dirt and noticed that the concrete was really smooth, smooth enough to show a glare from the sun. So if you take that route just be aware that the intersections there don't have alot of traction!

Are you talking about right where Nevada merges onto I-25, further up on the offramp onto Academy?
Ducati900sp

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »

The transition from Nevada onto the on ramp!

Gringo 999

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »

The transition from Nevada onto the on ramp!

Cold tires or warm tires?

Ducati900sp

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

Warm tires!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: