Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:13:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First track day! (with write-up)  (Read 9591 times)
bryant8

2008 848 White

« on: May 09, 2008, 09:24:03 AM »

I just did my first trackday yesterday, what a blast!  I think it may be a new addiction.   Grin Now I know what you track addicts feel like.  I want in  ;:|

I want to thank Jeff Nash at AMS for holding the private trackday for a limited number of people.  It was great to follow the lines of a former racer and feel my riding skills improve throughout the day.  I can't wait until the next one  mo:t:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:25:07 PM by bryant8 » Logged

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »

Thats cool.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »

congrats on your first steps in the addiction.  soon, you'll be trackbike shopping and it's all downhill from there!  ;:|

why don't you give us a full writeup so other newbies can read about it and what to expect! wt:

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:19:04 AM »

congrats on your first steps in the addiction.  soon, you'll be trackbike shopping and it's all downhill from there!  ;:|

why don't you give us a full writeup so other newbies can read about it and what to expect! wt:

Will do!

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »

I just did my first trackday yesterday, what a blast!  I think it may be a new addiction.   Grin Now I know what you track addicts feel like.  I want in  ;:|

I want to thank Jeff Nash at AMS for holding the private trackday for a limited number of people.  It was great to follow the lines of a former racer and feel my riding skills improve throughout the day.  I can't wait until the next one  mo:t:

What did you ride?
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

I decided I need to do at least one trackday in my life and figure this Spring was as good a time as any.  So I signed up for AMS' Private Trackday with Jeff Nash.  It made me feel a bit more comfortable doing the private day because the limit for the group was 10 riders plus Jeff and a race buddy of his.  At most 12 riders would be on the 1.7mile layout of MotorSportsRanch (MSR) in Cresson, Texas.  http://www.motorsportranch.com/1.7-road-course.cfm

Prior to the actual trackday I had make some mods to my 848 for the track.  This was mostly taping the headlight & tail light and removing the mirrors & licsense plate brackets.  Just in case I did have a "get off" there would be less things to replace/repair.  After getting all that done it was a matter of loading the bike up with my days supplies; a 5 gal gas tank for refueling, a chair to relax in between sessions, a pair of sandals to relieve the feet of the boots from time to time, my leathers, helmet, gloves, and riding boots.  I made sure I got a good dinner and off to bed.

The next morning came pretty quickly.  I had a decent drive to make from the Northeast side of Dallas to Cresson which is Southwest of Ft. Worth.  I arrived at the track just around 8:30.  The morning classroom was at 9:00.  There Jeff went over the do's and don'ts of the track.  A bit of warning to keep hydrated because the temps would be in the mid 80s later that afternoon.  The instructors would pick us for a follow by passing us and tapping their tailsection.

Bikes of the day
There were four (4) 848, one (1) 1098R, four (4) 1098s, one (1) BMW K1200, one (1) 999R, and one (1) S4RS.  I was on my white 848 with just a tick under 2400 miles.  Jeff was on the 1098R and his buddy was on a 1098s.  They were our instructors for the day.

Session1:
The first session was exciting because I had never been on a track.  Most everybody there had done trackdays before except me and another fellow who just got his 1098.  We were to follow Jeff's buddy around for the first session and learn the track.  The more experience guys were allowed to go a bit quicker than our pace and warm up.  The track at MSR was quite slick in the first morning session.  The more laps we put in the better it got.  I started to get the groove of the track towards the end of the session and was quite happy with myself.

Break1:
There was a lot of talking between riders and comments on how the track felt.  I had followed a red 848 for most of the session and we swapped info on how each other looked line-wise.  The instructors were positive on the comments on my riding so far.

Session2:
The newbies were allowed to go at their own pace.  I really started to enjoy going through the RattleSnake (RS) and transitioning to the Wagon Wheel (WW).  I still was having a line problem on the WW though.  That's when Jeff who I didn't know was behind me passed me and before the start of the next lap and pointed out the more efficient line to drive out of the WW towards Ricochet.  The session ended with one 1098 taking a dirt adventure and another 848 doing the same. (Nobody injured)  I came out unscathed and more confident in my learning curve.

Break2:
More coversations with the red 848 owner and more positive comments from Jeff.  Then we go to the classroom and discuss the optimal lines for the track.  Jeff gave us some great tips on how to ride in/out of the RS to be smoother towards Richochet and how to approach Buzzard Neck (BN).  He showed us visual markers that we can use to see the line and stresses that we should be looking toward the next turn as we approach the current one.

Session 3:
With the new info in our heads we set out for Session3.  This session the track was getting grippier.  Knowing what I needed to correct line-wise my smoothness went down a notch.  Mostly, I think was due to relearning the brake points and new apexes to shoot for, but towards the end of the session (and after following Jeff again) I was getting much smoother.  It's amazing how riding the better line makes the riding less work.  Unfortunately we had another 1098 have a get off. (Nobody injured)

Break3/Lunch:
After the session we talking about lines and the instructors were giving input to each rider they followed and tips on what they needed to do.  So far the day had been great

Session 4:
Getting back on the track after lunch was a bit tough.  I probably ate a bit too quickly, and too many carbs.  Anyways I jumped on the track a few minutes after everybody else to get myself back into the mindset of riding.  This session I could really feel my line and this was the best overall session I had.  This session had my best feeling lap over all.  It's a great boost in confidence when you can put a full lap together for the first time.  No incidents this session.  I think everybody was just feeling the groove and enjoying the tracks grip.

Break4:
Jeff comes over to me and says that I've improved a good deal from the morning.  Talk about the grin on my face.  I tell him that I felt the smoothest out there all day. 

Session5:
This session was pretty tough, fatigue and my bad right ankle starts to flare up.  I try to continue the momentum I gained in the previous session.  No incidents, just more laps and smoother lines.

Break5:
Two rider are done for the day after the last session.  We bid them goodbye and wish them safe journeys until next time.  This is where hydrating was really helpful.  The sun had been beating down on us most of the day.  With the last session approaching and fatigued bodies and minds bad things could happen.  More personal tips from the instructors

Session6:
Final session of the day.  I was feeling confident and as more laps past I could feel that grow even more.  As the session wore on, I could feel my concentration start to fade.  So I decided to call it a day about 20mins into the session.  I pulled off the track and back to canopy.  I got out of my leathers and changed into some comfy clothes.  While the others were still doing laps I was able to load my truck and start to relax.

End of Day:
At the end of the day, everybody had a great time.  There were some good stories and a few cold drinks to be had.  Not bad for your average Thursday, I just wish I had a camera to take a picture of the 1098R passing me on one wheel. [moto]

I can't wait to do another one!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:26:40 PM by bryant8 » Logged

2008 848
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Red5

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »

Great write-up!

Just curious, how were the sessions divided up?  30 min. in, 30 min. out?  Were there any other riders or drivers out on the course while your group was inside for class?

Be prepare to open that wallet even more.  The addiction can be expensive...   Grin

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
'03 CBR600RR (track bike)
Serenitynow

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »

Great write-up!

I'm sure it varies but how much do these things usually cost?

See ya,
John
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 04:49:31 PM »

The sessions were 30mins on and 30 mins off. During the off times either the Porsche club cars were out there or the open wheeled racers.  It was nice after they laid some rubber down and swept the track.

That trackday cost $250, but that was a private day with Jeff Nash.  AMS, my local dealer has bigger track days that cost a bit less than that.

2008 848
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »

How does everyone remember all the details of their trackdays so well?

Man, at the end of the day if I didn't crash or have some big incident, I don't think I could say much more than "my bike was working well today," "my tires had good grip," or "man, I was really losing time through (insert turn # here)."
tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:04:52 AM »

How does everyone remember all the details of their trackdays so well?

Man, at the end of the day if I didn't crash or have some big incident, I don't think I could say much more than "my bike was working well today," "my tires had good grip," or "man, I was really losing time through (insert turn # here)."

I'm with you, the only things I remember are things that cause my blood pressure to go up..... My tyres spun up here and here, I went agricultural here and the moron on the CBR1000RR is slow as hell in the corners and I can't pull him in the straights.
Jester

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »

Thanks for the write-up Bryant!  I'm signed up for the private day with Jeff Nash on Thursday the 22nd of May and am looking forward to it!  Gonna rip it up with my S2R.   waytogo

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »

Track days rule... I had to buy a track bike just to make it even more fun.   Grin  Once I stopped worrying about dropping my 848... (tracking an sv650) ... I was able to go much smoother for them corners. If you do ever drop it... remember these words... "I was at a closed course rider training school. It was not a race day or a track day."   Evil

Cause this can happen....

Go to ... www.onsightproductions.net
.......Click on the Cascade Track Time link for 5/8/08... and then on the Crash link....

Dude flipped his MV Agusta across the track many times... he was fine... but the bike has seen better days.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
Pedro-bot

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »

Great write up. I'm planning on hitting the track pipe consistently this summer.  [moto]

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Pedro-bot

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »

Now post some pics baby!!!  Cool

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: