Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:23:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belt drives -- good or bad?  (Read 7465 times)
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »

I have ridden a few buell's with the belt drive  and it made no difference riding. they are cleaner, quieter (like ducati owners want that Evil most dont even lube their chains so they rattle).

For me it comes down to three things
1. looks,  just don't like the look of the fat belt and cog. Maybe if they sold gold colored belts.
2. gearing adjustability, since when has the factory shipped a bike with the gearing I want. never. I hear of BMW owners spending big $$ to change gearing.
3. weight, I could be wrong but that rear cog looks heavy. compared to a sprocket. I would like to see a weight comparison of the complete final drive including Idler pulleys. Adding weight to the wheels is the last place I want to put it. carbon fiber pulleys?

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:20 AM »

I just think the rear end with a giant belt pully on it is ugly. I mean really ugly. On a crusier where the back end sits low, and you have a huge rear fender, you can hide it alright, but on a monster it would just look ridiculous.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 06:28:26 AM »

Ok so I just changed a rear tire on a buell and the rear cog is pretty light. I hear the newer versions are even lighter.

This bike had no idler on the belt so you still had adjustments to make. for tension and alignment on the cogs.

carry on coffee
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: