Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:21:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belt drives -- good or bad?  (Read 7466 times)
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« on: May 09, 2008, 09:46:48 AM »

A friend recently was involved with the engineering and prototyping of a belt drive (ala Buell) for Ducati.  (to replace the chain drive setup)

There are some definite perks to belts -- longevity, quietness, pricing, tensioners, etc.  Negatives though are gear changes for racers.

Just curious to what the feedback would be if you had a belt instead of a chain on your bike?  Would you still have bought your Monster? 

Mduc

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »

I saw a pic in another thread of the belt drive on a Buell. I think it ruins the back end of the bike. I cannot picture that thing on my sss.

07 S2R1K
NAKID

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:24:50 AM »

Don't know if it would have affected my purchase, but the belt pullies I have seen are huge and not exactly attractive. I would like to be able to do easy and inexpensive gear changes, like I do now.

Problem was for me was that the stock gearing was way too tall and I was able to change it for less than $50 to something more manageable.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »

My Magic 8 Ball says "Definitely Not" but it would have come down to the test ride.  I really loved the torque curve from my S4RS- I just don't see that happening from a belt drive, but I'd like to think that I'm open minded and not just prematurely bald.   Grin

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »

The belt drive would do nothing at all to the torque curve of your bike.  The only seat-of-the-pants differences, provided the same gear ratios were used, would be quieter running and possibly a bit smoother as well.  The torque and power delivery of your bike is largely determined by the state of tune of your engine, while the final drive gearing helps determine how that is fed into the rear wheel.  Changing to a belt drive wouldn't necessarily mean taller gearing, therefore it wouldn't affect your power delivery at all.  Belts have come under heavy scrutiny because they are inherently quieter, cleaner, and can be engineered to be stronger and longer lasting than chains.  The clear advantage of chains is that they facilitate easier (more readily accessible) gearing changes to allow the owner to, for instance, more easily put that 14t c/s sprocket on for more low-end snap.  Since belts are less common, for now, replacement belt pulleys in different ratios aren't yet easily available.  This may change if more manufacturers adopt belts as a way of continuing to meet ever more stringent noise requirements.  We may not like 'em, but they may be headed our way.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
c_rex

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »

do they currently put belts on high torque motored bikes?

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

do they currently put belts on high torque motored bikes?

I think every HD now produced has a belt drive, or at least many of them.

They're wider than chains, at least the ones I've seen.

Price of a belt competitive with a chain?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Smitty

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »

Good and bad. Belt: No adjustment after being installed light weight low noise low power loss the bad side is changing ratios are limited if any , that is where the chain is a better choice. I like a belt but I can go either way. Im using the teflon spray wax and it seems to be the cleanest way to keep a chain coated...

Tim
NAKID

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:04:28 PM »

Im using the teflon spray wax and it seems to be the cleanest way to keep a chain coated...

Tim

Same here. The only thing I don't like is the whitish coloring of the residue left over...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
c_rex

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »

I think every HD now produced has a belt drive, or at least many of them.

They're wider than chains, at least the ones I've seen.

Price of a belt competitive with a chain?

Everybody in my family but me and my wife (eventually my 2 kids) rides Harleys.  I've ridden Sportsters, Ultra Glides and a Road King.  No thankee.

madmax178

I'd rather eat dirt than pavement

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »

Will only buy a ducati with a belt in the future, that's all.  No chain

01 900 monster killed by parking lot vandals
Ford Focus-until I can afford another toy.
Vindingo

02' 620 Dirty

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 01:02:24 PM »

Will only buy a ducati with a belt in the future, that's all.  No chain

I noticed that you have posted this in two threads.  Would you care to elaborate?  It seems like you have had an issue with your bikes chains or something.  Just curious as to why you have such a strong opinion.   [moto]
topanga duc

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

i've wondered the same thing. i've read that a belt drive is more efficient at transferring power to the wheel.

it's certainly not just a H****y D*****son thing, guys have been doing it with British bikes for decades, including the original Cafe racers.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:26:57 PM by topanga duc » Logged
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »

Belt drives are neat.

Race-inspired bikes need chains.

I do occasionally change sprockets. I like chains.

Belts for valves, chains for drive

madmax178

I'd rather eat dirt than pavement

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »

I noticed that you have posted this in two threads.  Would you care to elaborate?  It seems like you have had an issue with your bikes chains or something.  Just curious as to why you have such a strong opinion.   [moto]

I just hate adjusting chains, seems like I can never get them lined up right on the duc.  Never had a problem with them on the dirt bikes.  Just hate adjusting them on the duc, always seems like I f*ck up when adjusting them.

With a belt I can take it to the mechanic to adjust it when he does the valves.  I would love that belt to save me the hassle of adjusting the chain.

My next street bike will be a bmw with a shaft or belt or a harley with a belt.  I'll miss the duc, until a belt is available for it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:14:05 PM by madmax178 » Logged

01 900 monster killed by parking lot vandals
Ford Focus-until I can afford another toy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: